I dont care how old he is... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I dont care how old he is...

Yea? Kevin Kolb is not exactly lighting it up right now...

Just because a qb lit it up in a college spread does not mean he is going to have great success in todays NFL.

He played in a spread. He had great numbers in College.

Kevin Kolb is not lighting it up right now because he is not, nor has he ever been all that good of a quarterback, at least not relative to what it takes to play the pro game.

You seem to be shifting the argument now. Are you saying that Brandon Weeden is not a good quarterback? Care to explain the elements you see in his game that are problematic for you in translating to the pros?

Kevin Kolb is not lighting it up right now because he is not, nor has he ever been all that good of a quarterback, at least not relative to what it takes to play the pro game.

You seem to be shifting the argument now. Are you saying that Brandon Weeden is not a good quarterback? Care to explain the elements you see in his game that are problematic for you in translating to the pros?

You have the patience of Job.

Not really. Are you trying to say that it will take Weeden a few years to 'get' the pro game and therefore he won't be playing well until he's 30 or 31 years old? I get that, but I fail to see how the John Beck example applies in any way, whatsoever. John Beck is not a successful quarterback, even now after 4.5 years in the league. If you're assuming Brandon Weeden will be successful, but only when he's 30 or 31 years old, and therefore he won't have very many successful years in the league because he'll be racing his biological clock, that's fine. I'm not sure I agree with some parts of that, specifically the assumption that it'll be 2 years before he plays well, but I still understand it. But that assumption makes him a totally different player from John Beck, who is not, never was, and never will be a good NFL quarterback.

Yes it could take Brandon Weeden a few years to "get" the pro game..The pro game is faster.. Now the reason you draft a player is to get better at a posistion but also because your taking a qb in the draft to be your qb of the future. The John Beck example applies because John Beck was actually younger and still failed to become a good qb. How long can you wait for a qb to become ready? The longer you wait the older he becomes. The older a player becomes the more prone to injuries a player becomes..Generally speaking. A

No, I didnt shift the argument. Gonzo stated that a qb who is drafted can compete right away due to the change in NFL rules..I gave him an example of a qb that played well in College ( as Weeden has) that is not and has not played well so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it could take Brandon Weeden a few years to "get" the pro game..The pro game is faster.. Now the reason you draft a player is to get better at a posistion but also because your taking a qb in the draft to be your qb of the future. The John Beck example applies because John Beck was actually younger and still failed to become a good qb. How long can you wait for a qb to become ready? The longer you wait the older he becomes. The older a player becomes the more prone to injuries a player becomes..Generally speaking. A

I'm not sure your logic makes any sense here. John Beck has never and probably will never be a good NFL quarterback. If you're comparing Brandon Weeden to John Beck, it only follows that you believe Weeden will never be a good quarterback. If you're saying there's a good chance Weeden becomes a good quarterback, John Beck no longer becomes an appropriate comparison.

Jim Kelly didn't take a snap in the NFL until he was close to 27 years old. Kurt Warner didn't make an NFL team and take a snap until he was 28 years old. Both were good, successful quarterbacks. If you believe Brandon Weeden will eventually have success at the NFL level, then your original statement should have been "Weeden, Kurt Warner part deux" or "Weeden, Jim Kelly part deux".

No, I didnt shift the argument. Gonzo stated that a qb who is drafted can compete right away due to the change in NFL rules..I gave him an example of a qb that played well in College ( as Weeden has) that is not and has not played well so far.

Kevin Kolb has not played well because Kevin Kolb is not a good quarterback. Do you believe Brandon Weeden is a good quarterback, or not?

I'm not sure your logic makes any sense here. John Beck has never and probably will never be a good NFL quarterback. If you're comparing Brandon Weeden to John Beck, it only follows that you believe Weeden will never be a good quarterback. If you're saying there's a good chance Weeden becomes a good quarterback, John Beck no longer becomes an appropriate comparison.

Jim Kelly didn't take a snap in the NFL until he was close to 27 years old. Kurt Warner didn't make an NFL team and take a snap until he was 28 years old. Both were good, successful quarterbacks. If you believe Brandon Weeden will eventually have success at the NFL level, then your original statement should have been "Weeden, Kurt Warner part deux" or "Weeden, Jim Kelly part deux".

Kevin Kolb has not played well because Kevin Kolb is not a good quarterback. Do you believe Brandon Weeden is a good quarterback, or not?

The OP is suggesting Miami Dolphins take Bradon Weeden
John Beck was taken by Miami.

Both were old rookies coming out of college..

Kurt Warner didnt play for the Dolphins..Neither did Jim Kelly.. But if you wanna get into that ..They both played professional before they had success in the NFL. Maybe in diluted leagues but they played..

I agree that John Beck will never be a good NFL qb. But did you know that when he came out? I didnt.

Gonzo made a general statement about quarterbacks that get drafted and have early success. I gave example of a qb that is failing in the NFL despite playing well in college. Nothing more.

I think he's just trying to get you to answer a question he's asked four or five times that you have yet to answer. Do you think weeden will be a good NFL qb?

I think he's just trying to get you to answer a question he's asked four or five times that you have yet to answer. Do you think weeden will be a good NFL qb?

Honestly I dont know. I wanna see what team drafts him and where he is drafted..I wanna see the situation he is put into.

Also define a good NFL qb?

If he's available at the top of round 2, I'd take him. That buys you 5-7 years of solid QB play, giving you time to to find your next QB while still being competitive. He isn't your 10-15 year answer at QB, but if you can't have that, any GM would be damn glad to have 5-7 years of it...

Honestly I dont know. I wanna see what team drafts him and where he is drafted..I wanna see the situation he is put into.

Also define a good NFL qb?

If you don't have any idea how good Brandon Weeden is or will be, then you're basically admitting you have no perspective worth sharing on the issue of whether to draft him.

Because that IS what it's all about, no? Picking players that are good? How can you have a perspective on whether or not to draft a guy if you admit you have no idea whether he's any good or not?

If he's available at the top of round 2, I'd take him. That buys you 5-7 years of solid QB play, giving you time to to find your next QB while still being competitive. He isn't your 10-15 year answer at QB, but if you can't have that, any GM would be damn glad to have 5-7 years of it...

not if his arm x ray looks like shredded wheat during the medicals...a lot of things that may be in play with weeden...only time will tell

not if his arm x ray looks like shredded wheat during the medicals...a lot of things that may be in play with weeden...only time will tell

I wasn't aware he has injury issues with his arm. Interesting. I think someone is going to take a chance on him in round 2 regardless. I doubt he makes it to round 3...

i think its likely there's something thats gonna be in that shoulder when the meds are done...but we'll see...i know if i was a gm thinking of taking this kid i'd be getting 2nd and 3rd opinions on his throwing shoulder medical given his baseball history

If you don't have any idea how good Brandon Weeden is or will be, then you're basically admitting you have no perspective worth sharing on the issue of whether to draft him.

Because that IS what it's all about, no? Picking players that are good? How can you have a perspective on whether or not to draft a guy if you admit you have no idea whether he's any good or not?

I never shared whether I would draft him or not in any of my posts.???? But since you LOVE to put words in my mouth and draw assumptions from them, you can point me to a post that you have started about how much you love or hate Brandon Weeden. Please inform me.. After all that is what the draft forum is all about..

I would love to read what you said about him. You can pretty much put me down for a +1...Tell me what to think.

Yea? Kevin Kolb is not exactly lighting it up right now...

Just because a qb lit it up in a college spread does not mean he is going to have great success in todays NFL.

He played in a spread. He had great numbers in College.
:bobdole: Did I say that every QB that plays in college can make the transition to the pros? Did I even allude to it? I simply stated a QB doesn't necessarily have to be "groomed" in the NFL any longer. A good QB can come in and start right away.

Wasn't all that hard to figure out. Also, the spread is here now, in case you haven't noticed. Don't worry, none of the Dolphins staff has noticed either.

Back
Top Bottom