I don't think the offense was changed much last game | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I don't think the offense was changed much last game

rafael

Hall Of Famer
Club Member
Reaction score
Miami ran a few trick plays and they attempted a few more first down passes (maybe). That's it. We didn't throw long often. The main difference was that the OL protected better. Through the first 6 games every blitz seemed to let someone through. This game a larger % of the blitzes were picked up. That allowed the big play to Mcmike, it also reduced our turnovers. The OL has improved every game this year. This was just the first game where it was reflected on the scoreboard.

Another difference was that the Rams D saw how often we threw the wr outs so they schemed to take that away. This actually benefitted Miami b/c it meant JF threw fewer of those risky deep outs and threw more of the shorter seam passes.

One call that I thought was definately more aggressive was the pass to Chambers on 3rd down. Wanny said that he kept thinking about the Ram comeback ag. Seattle. (BTW the quote makes it seem like it was Wanny's call and his decision to be aggressive there.)

Overall though this was the same O we've been running all year. We just did it better and got more bounces. I don't see the huge shift in philosophy that some posters are claiming we showed in that game.

The difference is we threw in a position where we always ran..We tried new things... the oline played better.. and we got better production from the run... for a change..
The change was the execution... field position etc... which in turn changes play calling

I still can't believe Miami had two running touchdowns. Both times the runningback wasn't killed right when he was handed the ball like in the 2nd and third game.

We were not run, run, pass kick. the tricks loosened up the defense, it was big!

I wish the game wasn't black out in North Fla. An educated guess says this win says alot about the Oline and less about play calling.

Our Oline improves each game, lets see how good we are by the end of the season..

If you watch other olinemen around the league as individuals I think we have an opportunity to have a solid group with some depth in the not too distant future. There are a lot of guys playing that are no better and even not as good as any of ours--we just need more experience and confidence. MacIntosh is getting in better shape and the rust is disappearing, Jeno is getting more acquainted with working with him. McKinney is a first year starter and is going to be fine, he has all the tools and is mentally very tough. Whitley is only starting his eighth game and was not given a chance to develope last year so he is actually a rookie, and John St. Clair was inactive his first two years in the league and has made huge strides this year. He doesn't have the experience that his years in the league would indicate.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
We were not run, run, pass kick. the tricks loosened up the defense, it was big!

We weren't run, run, pass, kick before. If you actually tracked the % of 1st down run/pass you'd find that we have been close to 50/50 all year. The difference was that with better protection, more of those were completed and none of those completions were to the other team.

Back
Top Bottom