I for one, need to eat some crow. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I for one, need to eat some crow.

bpackers13

Active Roster
Reaction score
Ok fellow Dolfans, I know I'm not alone here, but I did have some doubts about a rew of our players before yesterdays game.
1. Cameron Wake- I did not see this guy producing much for this team. I saw this as another wasted roster spot as he has not been active before the Bills game. WOW did he produce!!!! 3 sacks in his first showing.
2. Chad Henne- While i never talked negative about our guy, I also never had a lot of confidence in him. While he didn't have a lights out game, he did not turn the ball over.He was solid in his first start, and I believe he will only get better. Monday night will be a true test for Henne. But overall Great job from our man!!!!
3. Secondary- they still did not do an amazing job, they held a good WR corps in check. They seem to be getting better. Wilson still needs to learn how to tackle. Smith and Davis did a superb job, with Davis grabbing a pick 6. I did do a lot of smack talking about our secondary the past few weeks, and I must say, over all, they did come to play yesterday. Crow eaten.
Man I'm full from eating all this crow. Great win yesterday. GO DOLPHINS!!!!

good job ... this is the exact reason why i dont make an assuption until i see some one play and play consistently. Im not ready to crown him a probowler yet...but its a good start

Just for perspective sake, Davis's pick6 was great, but without it -or without a Fins win for that matter, today we'd be griping about the 2 big receptions Evans made on him.

Ok fellow Dolfans, I know I'm not alone here, but I did have some doubts about a rew of our players before yesterdays game.
1. Cameron Wake- I did not see this guy producing much for this team. I saw this as another wasted roster spot as he has not been active before the Bills game. WOW did he produce!!!! 3 sacks in his first showing.
2. Chad Henne- While i never talked negative about our guy, I also never had a lot of confidence in him. While he didn't have a lights out game, he did not turn the ball over.He was solid in his first start, and I believe he will only get better. Monday night will be a true test for Henne. But overall Great job from our man!!!!
3. Secondary- they still did not do an amazing job, they held a good WR corps in check. They seem to be getting better. Wilson still needs to learn how to tackle. Smith and Davis did a superb job, with Davis grabbing a pick 6. I did do a lot of smack talking about our secondary the past few weeks, and I must say, over all, they did come to play yesterday. Crow eaten.
Man I'm full from eating all this crow. Great win yesterday. GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Always love it when guys man up and admit they might have been wrong or at least rushed their judgement a little... Personally I will always be happy to saddle up to a full plate of crow with a warm slice of humble pie if it means the Phins win...

I think your point about Henne and turnovers is a valid one... He didn't get too excited in game one and played under control... The big arm guys always tend to throw untimely picks (is there such a thing as a 'timely' pick?) :lol: So controlling the Turn overs is gonna be key for him... Good opener.

Wake was a beast in the CFL... Those of us like RevKev who were saying it... Were saying it from a perspective of having seen that kid play up there... He was ALWAYS double teamed and most often TRIPLED... In the great white north... I have always said that this 'level of competition' argument was bunk... A player is a player... Cam wake... IS A PLAYER.

Tks for the thread. :thumbup:

Always love it when guys man up and admit they might have been wrong or at least rushed their judgement a little... Personally I will always be happy to saddle up to a full plate of crow with a warm slice of humble pie if it means the Phins win...

I think your point about Henne and turnovers is a valid one... He didn't get too excited in game one and played under control... The big arm guys always tend to throw untimely picks (is there such a thing as a 'timely' pick?) :lol: So controlling the Turn overs is gonna be key for him... Good opener.

Wake was a beast in the CFL... Those of us like RevKev who were saying it... Were saying it from a perspective of having seen that kid play up there... He was ALWAYS double teamed and most often TRIPLED... In the great white north... I have always said that this 'level of competition' argument was bunk... A player is a player... Cam wake... IS A PLAYER.

Tks for the thread. :thumbup:
No problem. Thannks for your post. GO DOLPHINS!!!!

was Wake even suited up??? i thought this was first game suited due to Porter injured... i could be wrong though

but he played very well, and Jason Taylor finally got it going too... but it was the Bills woeful young offenseive line, and all... gotta consistantly get this going!!!

and to comment on Henne.... he took a lot of sacks, but didnt want to make that mistake, which for first start, and a young kid developing, no complaints at all. he jsut has to keep his eyes downfield more, especially when rolling out... i noticed him checking the pressure often and/or tucking the ball too early, missing some open spots.

secondary makes good plays, good deflections, but also hasn't played together as a unit yet... hopefully they start tying it together, and get this communication or whatever it is going!!!

I guess, depending on what you said, you know whether or not you need to eat crow. I have been critical of this team, but I do not need to eat crow. Everything I have said about this team, I still believe is true. I dont think they are very good. I think they aren't going to win many games. I think next week is a huge test. If they win next week, I may reconsider. But right now, I am going to say, while we saw some things that were great (a bunch of first year players doing well), it was still against the Bills...and they are an incredibly bad football team.

I don't credit the secondary as much as I ridicule the Bills OL. We were all over Edwards which is what the secondary needs to excel.

Three Crow Recipes
From Debbie, courtesy of her Mom's WW II cookbook

Crow and Mushroom Stew

3 crows
1 Tbsp lard/shortening
1 pint stock or gravy
2 Tbsp cream
1/2 cup mushrooms
salt and pepper
cayenne pepper

Clean and cut crows into small portions and let them cook a short time in the lard/shortening in a saucepan, being careful not to brown them.
Next, add to the contents of the pan, the stock or gravy, and salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.
Simmer 1 hour, or until tender, add mushrooms, simmer 10 minutes more and then stir in cream.
Arrange the mushrooms around the crows on a hot platter.

Potted Crow:

6 crows
3 bacon slices
stuffing of your choice
1 diced carrot
1 diced onion
chopped parsley
hot water or stock
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup flour
buttered toast

Clean and dress crows; stuff and place them upright in stew-pan on the slices of bacon. Add the carrot, onion and a little parsley, and cover with boiling water or stock.
Cover the pot and let simmer for 2-3 hours, or until tender, adding boiling water or stock when necessary.
Make a sauce of the shortening and flour and 2 cups of the stock remaining in the pan.

Serve each crow on a thin slice of moistened toast, and pour gravy over all.

Crow Pie:

1 crow
stuffing of your choice
salt and pepper
shortening
flour
2 Pie crust mixes
2-3 hard-boiled eggs

Stuff the crow. Loosen joints with a knife but do not cut through.
Simmer the crow in a stew-pan, with enough water to cover, until nearly tender, then season with salt and pepper. Remove meat from bones and set aside.
Prepare pie crusts as directed. (Do not bake)
Make a medium thick gravy with flour, shortening, and juices in which the crow has cooked and let cool.
Line a pie plate with pie crust and line with slices of hard-boiled egg. Place crow meat on top. Layer gravy over the crow. Place second pie dough crust over top.
Bake at 450 degrees for 1/2 hour.

Collected by Bert Christensen
Toronto, Ontario

Back
Top Bottom