I guess our Running D is no longer weak

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by BenchFiedler, Jul 14, 2005.

1. BenchFiedler

BenchFiedler Undrafted Pro-Bowler

Since we got Wright and this guy weighs in at 329 pounds...This is a big body next to Keith Traylor and I guess hopefully Chester could come back....
    There is really no playbook for wright since his job is to line his fat self and stop the run...

Do you think we are set at DT...He might even be able to supplant Zgonina because he is undersized at 290 pounds.

I guess our only weakness now on defense is at Free Safety and CB...
    [​IMG]

2. MillerTime

MillerTime Squish The Fish!

Wright will not get much playing time this year. Its going to take time for him to develop, so no, Wright will not improve your Running D this year

3. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP

but it still will be better then last year will the additions of Traylor and Carter

4. Justasportsfan

Justasportsfan FinHeaven Elite Hammered

Benchfiedler, Dominizzo wants his thread back.

5. Krie30511

Krie30511 Seasoned Veteran

who says he wouldn't start...... he's got all the physical tools he just needs to be widdled a little..... so I don't think you can say he won't start..... im not saying he is or isn't

6. DolphinDevil28

DolphinDevil28 I like boobs. Finheaven VIP Donator

I don't see him making a huge impact this year either, but he will play somewhat I think. Especially towards the end of the year.

I think the middle of our D-line will be OK. Traylor is a run stuffer, and Kevin Carter can definitely hold up at the point of attack. He can also penetrate into the backfield.

If Chester comes back healthy, that's just a plus, and Dario Romero doesn't get enough credit.

It will also help that JT will get double teams, meaning that less people will block Traylor or Carter.
    ...and if they dont, SACK by #99.

7. nick1

Wright will play some every game if Chester retires if Chester doesn't then Wright won't play too much this year

8. FuturePhin

FuturePhin Pro Bowler

First thing I was worried about was his bench pressing ability. But then it came to me, I dont give a damn if the kid puts up 225 five times, as long as his "football" strength comes out and dominates. If he can do that, he can help us this year, and quite possibly solve our whole in the D line.

9. shellgh0st

shellgh0st D-Unit

Very good point. Weight room strength isnt the end all be all of a football player. Leverage, quickness, body position, all play important factors. If there is a down side to a player, you'd rather it be his weight room strength, as it can be improved from consistent work outs.

Im excitied about this pick up, not only because of the player we got, but also because of the value (as a fifth round pick). Also, getting him in a supplemental draft, in a way, allowed us to leap frog a year ahead. This way, next year when K. Traylor will most likely retire, our replacement for him wont be a true rookie, and instead will be Wright, with a year experince under his belt. Making it all an awesome addtion!

10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Manning to Tyree = Best SB Play EVER!!!!

Unless Write can fall down and not get moved, chances are he isn't playing this year. I would imagine that it would be a stretch to believe that he will be a starter after this season. If he becomes a solid contributor the year after this year I would be surprised.

11. Trackstar

Trackstar A True Fan

You forgot to write "IMO" ;)

12. thedayafter

thedayafter Pro Bowler

• His old coach compares Wright to Cortez Kennedy in raw ability... first step, leverage, low pads....
    • He also says he wil need a babysitter, is immature, and might take 2 years to "get it".

13. Al13

Al13 Don´t mess with Clint

i think he is labeled as very raw and it would be a shocker if he could contribute right away, but hey if at some point he becomes a cortez kennedy type player i can surely wait

14. poppy

poppy Seasoned Veteran

Now we just need to sign Shulters at a reasonable price and we're good to go for this year.

I'm looking forward to the season.

15. yankeehillbilly

yankeehillbilly FinHeaven VIP

Wright will get some time in the rotation I think. He isnt gonna be a starter this year but I bet Saban puts him in from time to time to give him an idea of how good he needs to be to play at this level.

16. thedayafter

thedayafter Pro Bowler

• "Manny is really a mystery," said Mississippi coach Ed Orgeron, Wright's former defensive coach at USC. "In the pros, you don't know if you are getting an All-Pro or not. He can be an All-Pro. He could also not make it. I think he needed two more years in school because he would have been one of the most dominating defensive linemen in football. Now, it's kinda scary. A team is really rolling the dice." ESPN
    • Orgeron gave Wright tough love at USC. He had no problems with Wright as a person. Their battles were more over his weight and work ethic. Wright's weight could fluctuate between 290 and 320 pounds, numbers that didn't mean much to him because he had that great first step.
    • "Even though Wright is 6-5, he plays low to the ground like Cortez," Orgeron said. "He's powerful and quick. Like Cortez, he has great upper body strength. He has that great first step like Cortez. He's quick off the ball. He has a tremendous club with his hands. He's very savvy."
    • Wright said he would be satisfied if he goes in the first three rounds. The fourth round, though, would be a disappointment.
    Someone needs to explain to him this is a business now... you have all the natural ability to be special.... but you have to do the work.

17. feelthepain

feelthepain Banned Hammered

How do you know???

18. Justasportsfan

you might wanna ask your fellow finfans the same question

.Oh wait, how do you know that your QB, coaches, rb, OL are better than the bills?

19. bright-light

bright-light Starter

I think its a good addition, potentially an excellent addition, although from what I have read, Wright seems to need to really develop has strength and maturity and will likely take 2-3 seasons to develop. We still need help at DT (NT) although it will likely not be until next season that we can sign a 'name' player or a high draft pick at this position.

20. feelthepain

feelthepain Banned Hammered

listen genius, when I write I think the fins players are better then the bills it's my opinion, KGUNBILLS, wrote:
    doesn't look like an opinion, looks like he's stating a fact. Why?? Because it doesn't say "in my opinion"!!! See the difference?? Your a very, very uneducated human being!!

21. nick1

this thread says nothing about any of that so why bring it up?

22. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

I believe Manny will contribute this year, just not until later in the year. The real question is, does Vickerson even make the team now.

23. Trackstar

Trackstar A True Fan

And we were just wondering how every thread turns into a Bill s vs.Dolphins debate.

24. Surferosa

Surferosa Run to Daylight

I think hes a prime candidate for the Practice Squad. Unless he plays lights out in camp.

25. Dors156

Dors156 He's Backkkkk

all i got to say is manuel wright is the right pick.Now a great player is added to our defensive core with channing crowder,matt roth,travis daniels,will poole,and derrick pope.Wright should start with jason taylor,matt roth,and keith traylor on the same line at the same time.

26. Justasportsfan

Don't mkae me pull out some of your posts that imply this and that will happen. You've done that several times especially in BZ. I know if I do you will ignore every post like you do when you have no answer.

27. Justasportsfan

You know nothing about what FTP has been posting on BZ ,so zip it.
    this is a MS. Cleo post. Why didn't he question you too? You're a finfan that's why.

28. Justasportsfan

read my post above. It applies to you.

FTP makes bold predictions too and then he questions a bills fan but not a finfan for doing the same? If you read the entire thread you will wonder why this thread turns into a bills vs. fins. Read FTP's post :rolleyes:

29. TGall13

TGall13 Tagalager

Because we just look back over the last 35 years instead of just one year :rofl3:

30. Dolphinlife

Dolphinlife Well-Known Member

Our D-line has added depth with Holliday,Carter,Vickerson and Wright. I mean we still have Romero,Zgonina,and possibly chester. All rotating in the middle. I think thats an excellent D-line. Yes some are old and some need to develop but thats alot of big bodies rotating to clog the whole and also give Taylor free space to rush the passer and let Thomas see the play develop better since he wont be taking on as many blocks this season as he did last year. Im happy with what weve done. The big thing is get Schulters to join the dolphins and realistically i see us going 10-6.

31. Justasportsfan

Don't be a homer. Those coaches and players from 35 years ago are no longer on your team. :crazy:

32. Trackstar

Trackstar A True Fan

I have read the entire thread thank you very much. A Bills fan knows for a fact that Manny will not contribute right away then, someone asked "How do you know?" I think that sums it up. You were the first one to mention anything about the Bills being better than the phins in some way shape or form in this thread.

It's nobody's business what someone posts on another site, so why bring it here?

33. Trackstar

Trackstar A True Fan

It's as simple as that Justa.

34. Trackstar

Trackstar A True Fan

Because he states why. If Chester goes down we will have no choice but to probably turn to Wright for help.

35. badfoot

badfoot nonpredictor Hammered

Why bother even asking justa anything ...we are all homers here as fin fans should be and he is just a little bills fan looking for attention ... you guys need to learn to let him run his keyboard till he gets tired and goes back to where he BELONGS lol...If you are really that concerned about his opinions then perhaps go to his board and flood it with useless comments about his team so he can have something to show his kids when they get older .. im sure they will be proud of his tremendous insight and thought provoking comments...HAR!

36. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 This is my worried look

:sleep: :whip: Gamble :shout: :lifter: Saban :apc: regular season.