I guess our Running D is no longer weak | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I guess our Running D is no longer weak

BenchFiedler

Undrafted Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Since we got Wright and this guy weighs in at 329 pounds...This is a big body next to Keith Traylor and I guess hopefully Chester could come back....
There is really no playbook for wright since his job is to line his fat self and stop the run...

Do you think we are set at DT...He might even be able to supplant Zgonina because he is undersized at 290 pounds.

I guess our only weakness now on defense is at Free Safety and CB...
clear.gif

Wright will not get much playing time this year. Its going to take time for him to develop, so no, Wright will not improve your Running D this year

but it still will be better then last year will the additions of Traylor and Carter

who says he wouldn't start...... he's got all the physical tools he just needs to be widdled a little..... so I don't think you can say he won't start..... im not saying he is or isn't

KGUNBILLS said:
Wright will not get much playing time this year. Its going to take time for him to develop, so no, Wright will not improve your Running D this year

I don't see him making a huge impact this year either, but he will play somewhat I think. Especially towards the end of the year.

I think the middle of our D-line will be OK. Traylor is a run stuffer, and Kevin Carter can definitely hold up at the point of attack. He can also penetrate into the backfield.

If Chester comes back healthy, that's just a plus, and Dario Romero doesn't get enough credit.

It will also help that JT will get double teams, meaning that less people will block Traylor or Carter.
...and if they dont, SACK by #99.

Wright will play some every game if Chester retires if Chester doesn't then Wright won't play too much this year

First thing I was worried about was his bench pressing ability. But then it came to me, I dont give a damn if the kid puts up 225 five times, as long as his "football" strength comes out and dominates. If he can do that, he can help us this year, and quite possibly solve our whole in the D line.

FuturePhin said:
First thing I was worried about was his bench pressing ability. But then it came to me, I dont give a damn if the kid puts up 225 five times, as long as his "football" strength comes out and dominates. If he can do that, he can help us this year, and quite possibly solve our whole in the D line.

Very good point. Weight room strength isnt the end all be all of a football player. Leverage, quickness, body position, all play important factors. If there is a down side to a player, you'd rather it be his weight room strength, as it can be improved from consistent work outs.

Im excitied about this pick up, not only because of the player we got, but also because of the value (as a fifth round pick). Also, getting him in a supplemental draft, in a way, allowed us to leap frog a year ahead. This way, next year when K. Traylor will most likely retire, our replacement for him wont be a true rookie, and instead will be Wright, with a year experince under his belt. Making it all an awesome addtion!

Unless Write can fall down and not get moved, chances are he isn't playing this year. I would imagine that it would be a stretch to believe that he will be a starter after this season. If he becomes a solid contributor the year after this year I would be surprised.

KGUNBILLS said:

You forgot to write "IMO" ;)

• His old coach compares Wright to Cortez Kennedy in raw ability... first step, leverage, low pads....
  • He also says he wil need a babysitter, is immature, and might take 2 years to "get it".

i think he is labeled as very raw and it would be a shocker if he could contribute right away, but hey if at some point he becomes a cortez kennedy type player i can surely wait

Now we just need to sign Shulters at a reasonable price and we're good to go for this year.

I'm looking forward to the season.

Back
Top Bottom