I hope there is no football in 2011!!!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by randy8216, Mar 29, 2011.

1. randy8216

randy8216 Scout Team

Free agent RB Patrick Cobbs is latest player to support Adrian Peterson's comments comparing the NFL to "modern-day slavery."

"I wouldn't say slave. But we are at the mercy of [owners]," Cobbs said. "Obviously, we all love to play the game. But I think at times we are slaves. They tell us to jump and we jump. ... I can see where [Peterson] is coming from. So that's like slaves. But we're not slaves because we get paid pretty well to do it." This preposterous message has been so consistent that it suggests NFLPA leaders have indoctrinated all members with the propaganda.

What kind of idiots do they have in the NFL? When i go to work i do not ask my boss what he makes and i don't say im a slave for having to do my job. Theses guys have a great job and make good money obviously they are oblivious to the real world. I hope next year is played with replacement players and it turns out great were these guys can get a little reality....

sorry about the rant!! :crazy:

2. Built2Win

Built2Win A True Fan

[​IMG]

u can tell me to stop drop and roll in dog ****
    if i know im gonna get millions for it i could care less
    It would be interesting to see what a lot of players do with the free time
    Maybe Ronnie brown works for UPS, Dez bRyant pimps out his mom.
    Ricky williams teaches Yoga. Patrick Cobbs grows some corn on tonys pasture.
    Tony Sparano invests in hot dog carts and gives henne the duty of making sausage..
    Joe burger well he cooks the burgers..
    Paul solia is unrecognizable and loses 100 pounds and switches position to tight end

3. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

What an over-paid, loud mouth, spoiled bunch of unintelligent *******s. I can't even begin to describe to you how furious I am when players make statements. Do they even think before they say something like that? I really can't even describe in words how disappointed I am in whoever agrees with Adrian Peterson's remarks. Slave and America in 2011 should have no business being mentioned in the same sentence. I have lost all respect for Adrian Peterson, and I'm disappointed that Cobbs partly agrees with him.

4. WeVie

WeVie Champion Of The Beards!

These guys don't know how good they have it. I would like to see them go out and work 12 hours a day in the rain, cold, or snow and then see what they have to say. Why not be happy that most of them are being paid millions to play a game? The rookie league minimum was $325K in 2010. I'm sorry but even at that salary for only a year or two, if one would manage their money right, they would be set up for life. I'm not saying they would never have to work again, but most people's biggest expense is rent or a mortgage and there is no reason a player should ever have one again. But it's not like that. They make that much and they go out and buy a two million dollar home or more among all the cars and everything else.

I can see the owners point about not wanting to open up the books for these players. In the real world, companies down go around announcing to all their employees how much they make.

5. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR

Well there is always Roberto's reports on how great the CFL is and how great RGM would look returning punts to look forward to - ouch!

6. JCane

JCane Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

I can't believe that so many of you are against the players in this.

The players absolutely have it right and they shouldn't budge.

And the best defense you guys have is that you "have to work a real job and they don't."

Sounds like career and financial envy to me.

This is ****ing America. Get as much as you can if you can get it.

I hope there isn't any football next year either. The NFL will take a HUGE hit in ratings with replacement players. These stubborn owners need to wake up and understand who the cash cow really is in all of this.

7. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

Modern day slavery? Come on now. To a point I agree with you, but the majority of my ill feelings goes to the player like Adrian Peterson who thing they are actually doing a favor to society by actually playing football.

8. Built2Win

Built2Win A True Fan

Screw em both the owners and players don't deserve anybody's sympathy
    Both been riding the fans like ponies!
    They could have figured a way to keep the infighting and greed between them.
    Now each side is running back to the fan like its the other ones fault..

It reminds me of a true story where a mother and father were fighting over a baby
    and both would pull at the babies arms saying its mine and the baby died.

Who you think the baby is? It is the fan that has probably followed football since they were babies.
    We would play everyday b4 the bus would pick us up for morning we played during lunch break..
    This is a great game and it is being spoiled by people who like to bite off more than they can chew..

9. JCane

I never said I agreed with the modern day slavery claim by either of those guys. I do think that's a bit ridiculous.

However, I don't think that Peterson or Cobbs feels like they're doing society a favor by playing football. I think we as fans feel that they think that because we hold them in such high regards. Reality is, these are normal everyday Joes just like you and I.

Yes, they play a game. But this "game" is their job. And it's a dangerous job. So they have every right to make sure that they're getting enough medical insurance to take care of them after the game of football. These guys will retire and go live normal lives like you and I do today. And you and I will forget about these guys. Some of these guys will suffer injuries that will plague them for the rest of their lives. They'll have a knee injury or something that makes everyday life after football difficult. I know you're 19 and probably don't have kids. I'm 32 and don't have any kids either but I do have a niece and nephew that I enjoy playing with. It would kill me if I had some kind of knee injury that would prevent me from going out in the yard and playing with my niece.

For these owners to want to expand the season to 18 games is ridiculous. Think about who it benefits. It benefits the owner and it benefits you and I because we get more football. But it really puts the players in a hard spot. At the end of the season, take a look at injury reports for every team around the league. Guys are hurt. And whether or not they show up on those injury reports, EVERY guy has some kind of injury that's bothering him. And they want them to play two additional games...and NOT get paid for it.

What if your boss came to you and told you that you're going to have to work 10 additional hours each week in a physically demanding job and he's not going to pay you for it? This wasn't originally negotiated in your contract when you signed on. You're really not going to have a problem with that? And you're going to expect your Union not to have a few complaints here?

10. DevilInPgh

DevilInPgh Rookie

I bet Bernie Parmalee could school these primadonnas on what an honest day's work looks like. Give me a hundred Parmalees or Vincent Papales any day. Heck, even give me 200 Frank Gores.

11. spydertl79

spydertl79 A True Fan

I agree 100%. The players have a highly valuable skill and the owners are the ones who are trying to take money off of the table. The players would be satisfied with an extension of the current deal and were even willing to agree to a rookie pay cap from the start of all of this.

The fact of the matter is if all of the NFL players were to switch to another league, then that's what all of us would be watching. As a fan I want to see the best athletes in the world slugging it out, I don't care who the guy writing their checks is.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2011
  12. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Apalled and aghast Donator

There is a proposal that if we have an 18 game season, no individual player would be allowed to participate in more than 16 games, effectively giving each player an additional 2 bye weeks. Also, if you and I were "business partners", and you agreed to pay me 50%, I would certainly want to know what 100% was.

13. JCane

So the owners are looking to rob the players AND the fans...

Can't believe ANYONE would side with the owners in this.

14. tylerdolphin

tylerdolphin More Smug than Birthday Dog Moderator Finheaven VIP

I can picture Chad Henne now when Sparano lets him know that today is Jake Long's day off.

15. JCane

It's not like Chad Henne knows who Jake Long is anyway when he's always locked on to ONE receiver.

16. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Apalled and aghast Donator

In the first part of my post, I was just passing on information. In the second, I was addressing the owners unwillingness to open their books. I never said I was siding with the owners. I do hope that with all this acrimony they don't kill the golden goose.

17. tylerdolphin

tylerdolphin More Smug than Birthday Dog Moderator Finheaven VIP

Maybe so, but he will quickly learn who Tully Banta-Cain is.

18. Fl_Neil

Fl_Neil Rookie

What a joke, according to wiki , "Slavery is a system under which people are treated as property and are forced to work. Slaves can be held against their will from the time of their capture, purchase or birth, and deprived of the right to leave, to REFUSE to work, or to demand COMPENSATION. In some historical situations it has been legal for owners to kill slaves."

See that little part about the slave being FORCED to work, being denied the right to REFUSE to work, and being denied the right for COMPENSATION i.e. payment for said work. Now is anyone FORCING these athletes to go out there and make millions every year playing a game which they should have a deep affection/love for? Look if these clowns don't want to play the game so be it. I remember the baseball strike during the 90s and they are only going to create a disillusioned fan base. At least they have a job doing what they "love". Most people only dream of such a thing. I'm not saying the owners are right on this. I just think it is appalling that they would equate the current situation to slavery in the historical sense.

19. Bumpus

Bumpus Are you gonna drink that? Administrator Finheaven VIP

Not from me. I'm about the name on the front of the jersey, not the back.

I'll definately watch. Hell, minus all of the primadonnas, it might be more entertaining.

20. Mr. Day

Mr. Day Starter

People that were actually slaves in America must be turning over in their graves right now. Actual slaves worked from can't see to can't see, were whipped, had their families broken up, watched their mothers, daughters and wives get raped, hung from trees, castrated, etc. Football players play a little kids game and make millions of dollars for doing it. Any idiot that will say that they are like slaves and live that lifestyle needs a swift kick in the a@#

21. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

Comparing the NFL to modern day slavery is one of the dumbest things that could ever come out of anyone's mouth. It shows a complete and utter ignorance to anyone who fought for the rights to be equal without bias.

As far as I am concerned any mother ****er who can make multi-millions playing a game is the farthest thing from a slave as humanly possible. If the working conditions of the NFL are so bad feel free to go and get a job that pays modest wages for long hours and try and keep the standard of life the NFL gives you, anyone in the NFL that backs that statement is a dumb-***.

22. spydertl79

spydertl79 A True Fan

This board is full of haters.

Maybe you should try actually reading and interpreting what he said rather than taking it completely out of context.

23. NY8123

It's a dumb analogy and should not even be used in context. There is no way to spin the statement and make it sound remotely intelligent.

I work a regular job and I know what the corporate BS is and how it affects me but I don't think of myself as a "slave". I have a choice a slave does not. It was a pour choice of words.

24. WeVie

WeVie Champion Of The Beards!

I guess I can see the players point of view too because without them there would be no money anyway. We pay to watch them play and a lot of us pay to wear there numbers or names around to show our support.

I can see where both sides are coming from but it just frustrates me when a bunch of already filthy rich people cannot agree on how to divide up 9 billion dollars.

I really want to see an 18 game season but I can understand how rough the game is on the players.

I really do wish they would do a rookie wage scale too. Let the players who have proved they can play earn all that extra money. I also think this could possibly make the league a little more competitive too. It stinks to have to pay a rookie tons of money and then they turn out to be no good. That's a big hit on a team that is trying to rebuild that can take a few years to recover from.

25. Built2Win

Built2Win A True Fan

Bring in the scabs ! Pretty soon college kids will be getting paid to play just ask cam newton..

26. jw0119

jw0119 Well-Known Member

There's a reason why the majority of players that are done playing in the NFL, amount to absolutely nothing. They were paid to play a child's game...not for their smarts.

27. spydertl79

spydertl79 A True Fan

This thread is about what Cobbs said:
    He clearly makes a distinction between real slavery and the life of an NFL player. He did not say that NFL players are literally slaves, he just said that he understands where Peterson is coming from. He asserted that players are "at the mercy of the owners," which is true. He said that the players are sacrificing their bodies for their team, which is also true.

It wasn't an "intelligent" statement by any means, but it is being taken completely out of context.

28. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Donator

I dont even care about context, or using the word as a mere example. Using the word slave to any extention, is really a ***** slap to the face of any hard working middle class citizen...

29. NY8123

The word slave shouldn't be used any way you slice it in this instance. It is just a piss pour choice of words. At least Cobbs had some intelligence to explain why he used the word, AP just flat out wiffed.

If you want the spot light you better be polished enough to choose your words wisely, what Cobbs said is fine but by agreeing with AP he is now lumped into a blanket statement about the NFL being like modern slavery and supporting that sentiment as the headlines are now reading.

He would have been wise to make his own statement about the owners, maybe he should have used the word "Surf" at least they were allowed to farm for themselves!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2011
  30. arsenal

arsenal Beastin'

im surprised how much people are for the owners also...

they dont want the 52 guys playing the game to get the extra money, where due to health and injury and the physicality of the game, the average player lasts only a few seasons... they want to give it to the owner who will own that team for years and years until they decide to sell it for some ridiculous profit or pass it down to their children...

the players also are the ones GENERATING that money... and the money #s keep climbing yet you want the one guy in the owners box to continue to pile up more and more money instead of giving it to the guys sacrificing their bodies every week? insane to me

31. spydertl79

spydertl79 A True Fan

This is the big misconception... the players aren't asking for more money, they just want the same amount as the last CBA gave them. Since the last CBA was signed, by the way, the average value of an NFL team has gone from $200M to $1B.

So the owners are making more money but want the players to take a cut... that's not right. And people need to leave the class warfare/ jealousy crap out of this... NFL players are highly skilled employees and deserve to be compensated as such. They aren't going to work a ****ty job because they don't have to.

32. Built2Win

Built2Win A True Fan

Hey cobbs go pick some corn during the lockout then u might know what slavery is like..

[​IMG]
    if u felt like a slave good riddance your body of work was awol all year!

33. spydertl79

spydertl79 A True Fan

1. I still fail to see how anyone could lump what Cobbs said together with what AP said unless they had some preconceived bias that would cause them to do so.
    2. Its "Serf"

34. NY8123

It isn't me running with it man

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-03-29/dolphins-cobbs-i-think-at-times-we-are-slaves

It's only one of many. The Associated Press is fickle.

And yes my bad, it is indeed "serf" I am working on a project with "Surf" in the title so I have been typing it ten times a day for the last six months, it is preprogrammed. I actually had a "serf" once it was my best friends little brother, he owed his brother money and his older brother owed me money so it worked out, I didn't mow or trim my yard all summer, I made him paint it was rather handy. He was happy because he worked off his debt and I got something for money I never saw again. lol.

35. spydertl79

spydertl79 A True Fan

I know its not you... its the damn
    media trying to create a story when there's nothing there.

36. NY8123

That sir is the other half of the problem with this great nation!