I just don't get it..... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I just don't get it.....

multistage

Club Member
Reaction score
For the first time since Shula, we have a no BS head coach. He turned a 1-4 team into a 10-6 team. In his first year. In the middle of the season. And we lost a lot of guys to injuries, maybe the worst injury year we've had yet. And still we went 10-6. Coach cut dead weight, got everybody fired up and playing hard. We have added much needed help in free agency and the draft. Year two will add consistency, as the old hands know what to expect. O should click well, D should be much stronger.

And yet, we are predicted to suck. More so than last year.

I know, nobody really knows and won't know until we go. But man, I don't understand why we are constantly swept under the carpet. If a first year coach can take a bad team, lose a bunch of guys to injury, start out at 1-4 and then turn it around to 10-6 and a playoff berth, and then get everybody healthy in the offseason and add a good deal of talent, how could we do poorly?

I swear, hating the Dolphins seems to be a sport unto itself.

Or maybe, just maybe....it's because we may be turning into a real threat to the Patriots and WE CANT HAVE THAT!!!! Can't unseat NE and their big tin god, oh my no.

It is not really unexpected for a team to take a step back the next year after the year we jsut had IMO. The most important thing is to change team culture and we 'must' hit on draft picks better then in the past.

It will still take some time, when you can look at the roster and say a fair amount of draft picks from the last couple/few years are still here- that might be a good indicator.

Yeah I mean none of us really had high expectations going in to last season. 8-8 seemed like a reach. after 1-4, 8-8 seemed impossible. But things changed, the culture changed. It takes time to really build that foundation. I pegged us a better team this year with a 9-7 record. My eyes are on 2018. I think that's the year the league/media takes notice and you will start seeing the landscape in the AFCE changing.

Most media outlets feel we were a fluke.

We won alot of close games, games they feel could easily go the other way next year.

We also looked like crap against the Steelers in the playoffs.

If we blow the doors off a few teams early this year they will start changing their tune.

We do play a more difficult schedule this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if the record regressed. This season will say a lot about the competitiveness of this team.

Its because the "experts" dont seem to understand or acknowledge that when teams win close games that they SHOULD win its a sign of mental toughness and good coaching, not just luck.

Most media outlets feel we were a fluke.

We won alot of close games, games they feel could easily go the other way next year.

We also looked like crap against the Steelers in the playoffs.

If we blow the doors off a few teams early this year they will start changing their tune.

This is what I expect, I think we are the most under rated team in the NFL, as well as one of the best teams too. With Adam Gase and this FO, I think Miami is going to be seen as one of the best teams in the NFL, a lot sooner than most expect.

Winning as many games as we did last year with so many of our top players on IR was an awesome feat. Especially for a first time HC implementing ALL NEW systems. I have so much confidence in Gase at this point and it is NOTHING like when we did it in 2008 under Sparano, Ireland and Parcels. This regime is working together very nicely and doesn't seem to be experiencing the same back room, in-fighting that those jokers went through. Adam Gase is at the core of this culture change.

#NEWMIAMI

If we can stay relatively healthy, there is no reason we cannot improve on 2016. I don't care about this strength of schedule BS. It never ends up how people foresee it playing out. Good teams suck and underdogs have good seasons. it happens every year.

I understand your complaint - I was 7 years old when we went 17-0. I been here as a fan a long time.

Here's how I see it: The Dolphins are TRASH until we PROVE otherwise.

Proving otherwise means one thing and one thing only hoisting the Lombardi Trophy. That's it.

The NFL is all about who won the Superbowl not who made it to the Superbowl and lost, or who made it to the playoffs.

We have been being CRUSHED, made into oil, by the Patriots.

Until we get our pride back and make that stop we deserve EXACTLY what we get.

I do not accept the idea that ANY team is better then us right now - or that we are better then anyone else. We need to go out there and prove it - and until we do we are going to be RIGHTFULLY treated like the doormat!

For the first time since Shula, we have a no BS head coach. He turned a 1-4 team into a 10-6 team. In his first year. In the middle of the season. And we lost a lot of guys to injuries, maybe the worst injury year we've had yet. And still we went 10-6. Coach cut dead weight, got everybody fired up and playing hard. We have added much needed help in free agency and the draft. Year two will add consistency, as the old hands know what to expect. O should click well, D should be much stronger.

And yet, we are predicted to suck. More so than last year.

I know, nobody really knows and won't know until we go. But man, I don't understand why we are constantly swept under the carpet. If a first year coach can take a bad team, lose a bunch of guys to injury, start out at 1-4 and then turn it around to 10-6 and a playoff berth, and then get everybody healthy in the offseason and add a good deal of talent, how could we do poorly?

I swear, hating the Dolphins seems to be a sport unto itself.

Or maybe, just maybe....it's because we may be turning into a real threat to the Patriots and WE CANT HAVE THAT!!!! Can't unseat NE and their big tin god, oh my no.

You are your record in the NFL.

If we regress we do so because we are slipping backwards not because of schedule or injuries or draft or ANYTHING else.

This notion that somehow our schedule will be "harder" is one I do not accept at all. Especially in today's NFL - with so much parody the talent level is within striking distance for all. It's all attitude, preparation, and execution. Its players and coaches and management working together and believing in themselves - especially when difficult things happen on and off the field.

We do play a more difficult schedule this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if the record regressed. This season will say a lot about the competitiveness of this team.

There is a learning curve with rookies. You can't expect them to suddenly improve the team...that usually takes time...sometimes a year or two. No one knows what changes Matt Burke will make on defense, if any, and we don't know how good of a coach he is. Interior of the O-line is still a huge question mark for me. Not sure adding just one guy late in the draft and a journeyman Guard is enough improvement. We all assume Pouncey won't last the season...what's our backup plan? Steen? He was good for about two games and that was it. Urbik? He was good for about 3 or 4 games. If Pouncey goes down early like he did last year then the O-line is going to struggle. Urbik did fine in pass pro but as a run blocker not so much. When we lost Pouncey we couldn't run the ball worth a crap. Ajayi went from 6+ yards per carry down to under 4 yards per carry with Pouncey out. That's significant.

Not to mention we added one run stopper in McMillan in the draft. For a team that was 30th against the run. We lack depth at the DT position...only Suh and Jordan have any significant experience and rookies don't normally flourish at the DT position in the NFL.

We kept a lot of our pieces, which is good, continuity shouldn't be an issue. We're not making wholesale changes so, theoretically, the team should play faster and not have to think as much but I don't think the talent level has been improved enough to make a big difference in the team...not immediately anyway.

You are your record in the NFL.

If we regress we do so because we are slipping backwards not because of schedule or injuries or draft or ANYTHING else.

This notion that somehow our schedule will be "harder" is one I do not accept at all. Especially in today's NFL - with so much parody the talent level is within striking distance for all. It's all attitude, preparation, and execution. Its players and coaches and management working together and believing in themselves - especially when difficult things happen on and off the field.

A 3-1 record against the AFC West says a lot more about the team than going 3-1 against the AFC South (at least in my mind). I agree that at the end of the day you either make the playoffs or you don't, but I'd rather see progress with the team rather than getting the doors blown off in the first round.

Even as a fan, I want to see it again. Sparano took us to the playoffs one year, then nothing. If we go a second time, or twice within 3 seasons, then they will start giving more credit where its due.

I love the Gase and RT combo, they clearly work well together, I think long term he is the right guy, but I need to see this team start off on the right foot. Common sense would tell you out of continuity, they will, but you never know. It was only one season. Have to prove to the league that it wasnt a fluke.

Im not jumping the gun saying were destined for playoffs again. I hope its true that we are a good team again, last year was great, but lets see it again. We definitely have the firepower, but so much can happen in any given season.

Consistency man. Miami has got to prove that they can get to the playoffs year in and year out. Win a playoff game consistently. It's been forever since Miami has done that stuff. Of course people are skeptical of Miami making the playoffs again this year.

Back
Top Bottom