I love our draft so far, what do you think | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I love our draft so far, what do you think

DallasDolfan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
After the season we would list QB, DB, OL, WR as our biggest needs

In the Draft we got:
1. Allen - Starting DB
2. Culpepper - Starting QB (Former and future Pro Bowler)
3. Hagan - Good 3rd receiver and Booker's eventual replacement

In FA we have picked up 2 solid Tackles, and are going to get a solid Backup QB, a solid receiver in Campbell, and several solid DB's.

Tomorrow we pick up LB and DL help (our Defensive Front 7 was solid last year).

Best offseason ever for the Dolphins.

I actually don't like our draft so far...

but I'll defer to the coach who knows far more than me.

My thought is that Allen was a reach and that they could have traded down.
I think there was better value than Hagan in the third...

as for Culpepper...thats obviously the jewel if he plays this year.

Ultimately, none of today's picks get me excited...but I guess doesn't mean they won't turn out either.

I was looking for a few big names, instead we picked a couple of guys I never heard of. We'll see I guees.

probably not who I would've picked, but that's mainly because I was looking elsewhere.

We basically got two more guys who should contribute right away.

Allen brings a mantality of playing the ball in the air to our secondary that last years safeties didn't have (always going for the big hit). And Hagan gives us another big target (Considering that all our WRs but Booker are 5'10 and under...)

RHoffman said:
but I'll defer to the coach who knows far more than me.

My thought is that Allen was a reach and that they could have traded down.
I think there was better value than Hagan in the third...

as for Culpepper...thats obviously the jewel if he plays this year.

Ultimately, none of today's picks get me excited...but I guess doesn't mean they won't turn out either.

I'm not sure if Allen is a reach, a few mock drafts I've seen had Dallas taking Allen at 18.

It's okay...not a great draft so far. One so-so pick and one good one. I would give the first day a B-/C+.

I remember seeing at least one mock that had us taking him. Think it was on NFLDraftCountdown.com.

Well take it for what its worth, but Saban said there were 12 players that they would have felt were good value at that pick. Allen was the only one of the 12 left. If he hadn't have been there they would have traded back. If the injury hadn't happen he might have been taken before Huff.

I think Saban knows alot of these players well, coaching and recruiting them, I like the picks and cant wait to see the picks tomorow

Jason Allen wasnt a bad choice, but i would admit, I wasnt expecting his named to be called, Nick Saban knows him well and knows what hes cabable of doing, and thats what it all comes down to.

There are a few mocks that had Allen around there

....but there was also a fair bit of preview magazines that had him much lower. Again, he might be the man...I just would have more thrilled by a Holmes, Lawson, etc.

None of this of course matters until they step on a football field. Which is why this hype got to be too much this year. I think my 14-year old dry cleaning attendant had a published mock on ESPN this year.

I'm very happy with the first day. I think Allen was an excellent choice at 16. He brings versatility to the secondary, something Saban loves, and I don't view him as a reach because I believe Dallas would have not let him get past 18. Safety is our weakest position at this point and we filled that spot with an outstanding athlete.

I think Hagan could be a nice fit as a No.3 receiver. Once you got past Holmes, Jackson and Moss, I think the next 8-10 WRs were all pretty even and I would put Hagan in that group.

We had four definite needs entering today (WR, S, OLB and DT) and we've filled two of them. IMO, I would rather have drafted Allen and Hagan than Chad Jackson and a safety in the third.

I really think we got great value for both picks and if Saban had opted to trade down in the first, I think we would have missed out on a lot of guys (Greenway, Carpenter, Lawson, Cromartie) he had in mind.

I was hoping for Carpnetr or Jackson/Holmes but Allen is a games who could be great at either corner or safety....Hagan gives us the 3rd WR to go along with CC and Booker and like a few other guys have said, he reminds me of Keyshawn Johnson a little bit.Now if we can get a good DT or LB it'd be a great draft imo.

Ozzy rules!!

Cromartie was the guy I wanted, but Allen was the next closest thing. It also happens that Safety was a bigger need than CB.

Hagan needs to learn to catch with his hands instead of his body. If the coaches can't motivate him to learn this, a couple of rib fractures will after he lets Culpeppers passes get into his chest. Once he does learn, he could turn out to be pretty good. Remember that this guy was considered by many to be the best WR in the draft before I got a case of the drops in the Senior Bowl.

Going into this draft I didn't feel that any need was particularly great. Unlike most of the posters here I don't think we have a huge hole at OLB, though its an area where we could improve. DB, interior OL, DT, and OLB were all minor need areas and we took care of 2 of those with our 2 picks. All in all, it was a good day.

yeah alot of people thought Antonio Cromartie was a rech at 19.

but I feel good about Jason Allen.

Derek Hagan is a great WR, orginally projected as a 1st rounder. hes 6'2" somone who can go up and get the ball, I have seen him play many times, he reminds me of Mushin Muhammed

my sense is that we have done fine so far. Allen is intriguing. I just do not know enough about Hagan

Back
Top Bottom