I say we draft safeties with our 1st and 3rd pick... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I say we draft safeties with our 1st and 3rd pick...

Miamifin23

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Taking a look at our potential starting safeties next season, we need to upgrade both free and strong safety. We need to draft Donte Whitner in the 1st to play FS and a guy like Darnell Bing or Ko Simpson to play SS. Whitner has the ability to play either Safety spots so we could go 2 ways. I know most of you wouldnt be too happy with 2 rookies starting at both safety spots and neither am I but our safeties are garbage.

lets wait to call them garbage till training camp starts. first all we could only get one out of the three and right whitner is only one with a high enough grade for 16. simpson and bing could end up first rounders but get out of the 2nd. we are probably going to get at least one safety but i really doubt we get two on the first day.

I think we should draft A safety on Day 1, but certainly not two. And, I do think Travares Tillman and Yeremiah Bell showed some good things last season, when given the opportunity. Plus, Renaldo Hill is a very solid FS. Do we need to add competition at the position? Yes. If a S is BPA in Round 1, should we take him? Yes. Is it a position we need to address with two first day picks, or a reach in either Round 1 or 3? I dont think so.

Whitner at 16 wouldnt be a reach. Renaldo Hill was a terrible pickup. The guy is a joke. I live about 30 mins from Oakland and got to see a lot of Raider games, he's like Howard was for us last season.

Miamifin23 said:
Whitner at 16 wouldnt be a reach. Renaldo Hill was a terrible pickup. The guy is a joke. I live about 30 mins from Oakland and got to see a lot of Raider games, he's like Howard was for us last season.

Didnt say he would be, but you cant really say if hes BPA until you see how the draft unfolds. I also watched many Raider games, and I think he was one of the few solid players in a terrible defensive backfield and in a terrible defensive scheme as a whole. He played for Nick, so I trust he sees something in him.

While I agree and upgrade at Safety would be nice, unless Huff is available at our pick, it's not going to happen in the 1st round. Beyond Huff, there's no real "elite" safeties out there this year. Besides, typically most safeties don't go in the first round. I see getting one in the middle to late rounds (like Saban likes to do with DB's. Our first round will still either be: WR, OLB, OL or CB. I know there's even some junk being posted about Nick wanting Young if he's available when we pick. He won't be there when we pick, but if he is, the only way Nick will take him is if he knows he can get some picks in a trade for him from someone below us.

I can see your point about BPA, but unless its a guy like Bunkley, Ngata, or somehow (but never would happen) Huff falls, I don't think we give em a look. Maybe a Winston Justice if he were to fall, but I don't know, I just feel we need a safety out of the 1st rd. Or trade down possibly and pick up one of the many DB's in the draft that could help like Jason Allen or Jimmy Williams. They 2 could both play safety.

Back
Top Bottom