I simply do not understand... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I simply do not understand...

And if we cut Patterson or Marshall, we have to eat part of their salaries and still pay them their guarantee's, so you can't just get their salary and add it to available salary cap money. It's dead money that cannot be used.

There is no penalty for cutting Patterson before opening day. And Marshall, well he only had $6 mil of his contract guaranteed, and he already made that in 2012. The only penalty for cutting him before opening day would be two thirds of his $3.5 million signing bonus. Not a huge penalty at all.

You see, fanfin? You see how now they begin to "add" and embellish to $10 [plus] he's apparently asking for? Haha

$10mil is Long's asking price. The team will counter $8mil and then settle at $9.5mil and move on to Smith. The next post will be Long wants $50mil guaranteed hahaha *facepalm* ;)

I don't get what your fixation with $10-$12 million is... either way, it's too much for him. I'd go $8 million/season. That still puts him in the top 8 in terms of average salary for his position.

I'd bring him back on 4 million per year. Joe Staley makes 4.5 million per year and he's far better than Jake Long could ever dream of, and he signed that contract recently too. So 4 million, or he can walk.

why everyone wants Jake Long to leave. His play has suffered due to injuries and schematic changes but he is still a top 10 LT in the league and those guys don't grow on trees. Some of you talk worse about him than Marc Colombo! He is asking for 10M$ per season which isn't exactly breaking the bank. All we are doing by letting him go is creating ANOTHER need. If we cut Carpenter and either Richard Marshall or Dmitri Patterson we will have around 55 million in salary cap space! Why not spend 10 of that on Jake and we still have 45 million left for Greg Jennings, a TE, and a CB like Derek Cox

Did you know Tom Brady makes less than 10 Million a year?
The problem is not wether or not Long has talent, problem is.... Is that talent worth 10 million dolars a year? Hell noooooooo!!!!!

We can't score any points when Tannehill gets sacked 5 times a game because our Tackles are Johnathan Martin and Will Yeatman... you act like we don't have plenty of money and draft picks to add receivers, a tight end, a pass rusher, and dbs

You're right. While injured he will keep Tannehill from being sacked. Wanna know when he really helps the QB? When he's holding (again) for getting beat by ANY athletic DE (again). Sign him up for $9,999,999.99 you're right!

You're right. While injured he will keep Tannehill from being sacked. Wanna know when he really helps the QB? When he's holding (again) for getting beat by ANY athletic DE (again). Sign him up for $9,999,999.99 you're right!

Nonsense, as Long has even played and played well while injured. People tend to not realize the last two seasons which are basically the two he's ended on IR in the "end" of the season he played "through" the injuries and still made the Pro Bowl in 2011, and only decided to go IR once it was probable that we were now realistically out of the playoffs. It was a team decision. Since the playoffs was no longer within reach they closed their franchise LT for the final two games in 2011. And in 2012 when the playoffs were not a reality, they decided to shut him down and fix him up and allow opportunity to give Martin some work at LT. Injuries are not really an issue with Long as he's tough as nails and plays through them. Injuries are a part of the game. That's why teams carry 53 plus a practice squad.

I'd bring him back on 4 million per year. Joe Staley makes 4.5 million per year and he's far better than Jake Long could ever dream of, and he signed that contract recently too. So 4 million, or he can walk.

:bobdole: Wow!!!

Nonsense, as Long has even played and played well while injured. People tend to not realize the last two seasons which are basically the two he's ended on IR in the "end" of the season he played "through" the injuries and still made the Pro Bowl in 2011, and only decided to go IR once it was probable that we were now realistically out of the playoffs. It was a team decision. Since the playoffs was no longer within reach they closed their franchise LT for the final two games in 2011. And in 2012 when the playoffs were not a reality, they decided to shut him down and fix him up and allow opportunity to give Martin some work at LT. Injuries are not really an issue with Long as he's tough as nails and plays through them. Injuries are a part of the game. That's why teams carry 53 plus a practice squad.
I don't agree. While he may have played through his injuries, it's not safe to assume those injuries won't catch up to him.

Actually, it is true that he has more trouble with athletic DEs, then power DEs, but other then 2011, he has done as good or better job against athletic DEs as most of the other LTs in the NFL, but unlike other LT, using a power move on Jake is going to almost always get you nowhere near the QB.....in fact Jake loves it when a DE tries to bull-rush him.

I don't agree either. You can make all the excuses you want, but he ended the last two seasons on IR. That's not someone I want to pay.

I'm sorry but he's a perennial pro bowl LT and $10mil is "more" than reasonable for a perennial pro bowl LT. He's asking nowhere near Joe Thomas elite money, that's just made up propaganda. And that's his starting point at that, so he's showing willingness to negotiate. This he wants too much money is a bunch of bunk. All Ireland has to do is near match that $10mil, say $9.5mil and you keep him from hitting FA (where his price will go UP).

He's a perennial Pro Bowler because he's a fan favorite, not because he's been playing like a Pro Bowler. His play has reduced considerably over the last two years, and he doesn't fit our scheme. The OP stated that despite the scheme change, we should keep him. WHY? Those $10 million could go to Mike Wallace, Randy Starks, Sean Smith (hopefully not), or Brian Hartline. If he doesn't fit our scheme AND he's playing like crap, why keep him? As far as I see it, he got lucky with that fat contract we handed him as a rookie and he's squeezed every penny out of Ross' pocket while playing like an extremely average tackle.

Don't get me wrong, he WAS elite for a few years, but he's a shell of his former self.

Did you know Tom Brady makes less than 10 Million a year?
The problem is not wether or not Long has talent, problem is.... Is that talent worth 10 million dolars a year? Hell noooooooo!!!!!

Did you know he makes another 10 million in endorsemants and his wife makes more than he does? hahah ban this guy ^

He's a perennial Pro Bowler because he's a fan favorite, not because he's been playing like a Pro Bowler. His play has reduced considerably over the last two years, and he doesn't fit our scheme. The OP stated that despite the scheme change, we should keep him. WHY? Those $10 million could go to Mike Wallace, Randy Starks, Sean Smith (hopefully not), or Brian Hartline. If he doesn't fit our scheme AND he's playing like crap, why keep him? As far as I see it, he got lucky with that fat contract we handed him as a rookie and he's squeezed every penny out of Ross' pocket while playing like an extremely average tackle.

Don't get me wrong, he WAS elite for a few years, but he's a shell of his former self.
why would u pay Brian Hartline the dude is literally allergic to the end zone.

And to be honest, I can definitely see both sides of the coin here. You let him go and there's potential for his injury concerns to be non-exsistant. You keep him and there's potential for him to continually to be an injury problem. So if you 'simply cant understand....', then you are blind to other possibilities. If your opinion differs, fine. But don't act like it's an outrageous notion that Long has become injury prone. You dont know any more than I do. So stop acting like your opinion is the only one that could possibly be right.

Back
Top Bottom