I think one thing we ALL can agree on is that Tannehill, regardless of his ceiling, | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I think one thing we ALL can agree on is that Tannehill, regardless of his ceiling,

Wallace made it catchable

And yet he didn't

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

The defense allowed a 80 yard drive. Tannehill is average but he didn't lose the game. Oline is in shambles, kicker misses kicks, defense folds.

The 60 yard bomb at the end of the game was catchable. Just saying.

It was catchable after Mike Wallace had to contort his body. There were at least 4 times that Wallace was wide open down field to only be under thrown. I hate that Wallace is dropping the ball, but Tannehill leaves a lot to be desired from the quarterback position. If you can't throw the deep ball accurately, you will be a dink and dunker and I don't want that for my team. Get him some competition next year and see what he can do. He was handed this job by Sherman, Philbin and Ireland. He didn't not win it or deserve it apparently.

The 60 yard bomb at the end of the game was catchable. Just saying.

That was 63 yards thru the air. An incredible throw. Rare throw. It would have taken an incredible play from Wallace to make that catch and score the TD (being tackled short would have resulted in the clock running out), but that's just testament to the situation they were in. They were in a situation where they needed to make an incredible throw and incredible catch to end up with an incredible result.

The premise of this thread is off base. Ryan Tannehill has some real problems and I'm not anymore convinced that he's going to end up elite than I was before the draft. But people are barking up the wrong tree on this deep throw stuff.

That was 63 yards thru the air. An incredible throw. Rare throw. It would have taken an incredible play from Wallace to make that catch and score the TD (being tackled short would have resulted in the clock running out), but that's just testament to the situation they were in. They were in a situation where they needed to make an incredible throw and incredible catch to end up with an incredible result.

The premise of this thread is off base. Ryan Tannehill has some real problems and I'm not anymore convinced that he's going to end up elite than I was before the draft. But people are barking up the wrong tree on this deep throw stuff.

I'd love to read your thoughts on Tannehill's deep passes in this game, because he is being crucified on this site for them, whereas I honestly think two of them were ****ing incredible and one of them was still pretty good (the completion that wasn't a TD).

I'd love to read your thoughts on Tannehill's deep passes in this game, because he is being crucified on this site for them, whereas I honestly think two of them were ****ing incredible and one of them was still pretty good (the completion that wasn't a TD).

Sure.

1. Tannehill made good on his promise to "let it rip". Every deep throw was thrown with more power and distance than the tendency he'd shown in Weeks 1 thru 10.

2. A note on throwing distances. Football games are not some distance throw competition where you've got a light breeze at best (or you're in a dome) and you're in your sport shorts and a t-shirt, where you're able to run up to a line at your leisure and shotput the ball anywhere onto a 15-yard wide landing strip. Football conditions are different. You've got pads on, you've got a pocket, you're in a drop back, you can't throw the ball at your leisure, you can't run up to the throw like it's some javelin throw. There may be wind. Even in the DISTANCE THROW setting (which is not a football setting), I've seen tons of pro level QBs fail to get the ball 60 yards. For example recently in a competition featuring pro prospects like Mike Glennon, Ryan Nassib, Jordan Rodgers and E.J. Manuel, only Manuel managed to get it 60-plus yards (63 yards as I recall) and Glennon only got it 54 yards (and he's known as a guy that has a strong arm). Drew Brees couldn't get it 60 yards in a distance throw competition. I believe his ball fell down at about 56 yards. As I recall, Jake Delhomme won a distance throw competition one year against the likes of Brees, Palmer and someone else with a 63 yard throw. Those were strong arms he was competing against. In a football game, connecting on a 60 yard throw is INCREDIBLY rare. It's rare you ask your QB to throw that far in a functional football setting. Dan Marino sure as hell rarely, if ever, did that. Hell Ryan Mallett has a freakshow arm and I tracked every deep ball he threw in his final year and never found one that exceeded 52 yards, and that was just one throw. Everything else was 45 yards or so.

3. The first deep throw, the one for a TD, ended up underthrown but again this was a timing issue as Tannehill waited for a point in his roll-out at which he was comfortable he could get under the ball. He threw it about 53-54 yards thru the air at a dead run to his right side. That's a throw that would have pushed every quarterback in the league to his limit, given the roll. The reason it went for the TD is because Wallace located the ball in the air early and adjusted to it very well, then finished the play. He hasn't done those things very often in 2013. And if you REALLY watch all his deep throws from 2012 in Pittsburgh (I'm sending you a PM), then you'll notice he didn't do them that year, either.

4. The second deep throw for a 57-yard bomb was 60 yards in distance. A RARE throw distance for any QB of any arm strength, in pro or college football. Yet the ball was underthrown. Why? Look at the backfield action and then look at the route. This was not just any ole play-action. This was a play-action from under center with a half-roll that was a result of an off-center mesh point between the quarterback and running back. The play-fake delayed the football from coming out of Tannehill's hands tremendously. Meanwhile Wallace runs a simple "out and up" that was a heck of a lot more "up" than "out". I'm not blaming him, he's probably coached to run that route exactly as he did and it faked the HELL out of Captain Munnerlyn. He ran it perfect. The problem is he's too damned fast. He's way up the field by the time Tannehill can even throw that ball. Tannehill throws him a downright RARE distance, and it's still a big time underthrow. That, my friends, is an issue of play design.

5. There was another deep throw that Tannehill missed on the overthrow. I still haven't gotten the chance to break this one down. There's rumors Wallace stumbled on the play and that could certainly explain an overthrow. But even aside from that, people do not realize how COMMON it is to not connect on guys that deep down the field. Completion rate league-wide on throws 41+ yards beyond the line of scrimmage is in the 20 to 30 percent range. All week Tannehill has had people giving him crap for underthrows, including the coaches who instructed him to "let it rip" this week. Is a 1 or 2 yard overthrow REALLY not expected to happen at some point, given that?

6. The final throw was a real beauty. Ball traveled about 63 yards through the air and Tannehill could barely even step into it because he was about to be MURDERED with a hit. Wallace got his head around to look for the ball late (he does that a lot) and so he traveled left-to-right a little too far before figuring out where the football was and twirling back to the other side to catch it. This was was an incredible throw, and it would have taken an INCREDIBLE catch effort by Wallace to make the catch, because of the situation. If he goes down short of the end zone, the game is over. He needed to make a great adjustment on the football, finish the catch, stay on his feet and go the rest of the way into the end zone. It's just not something you see players do often. But then, you also don't often see receivers making $12 million a year.

Sure.

1. Tannehill made good on his promise to "let it rip". Every deep throw was thrown with more power and distance than the tendency he'd shown in Weeks 1 thru 10.

2. A note on throwing distances. Football games are not some distance throw competition where you've got a light breeze at best (or you're in a dome) and you're in your sport shorts and a t-shirt, where you're able to run up to a line at your leisure and shotput the ball anywhere onto a 15-yard wide landing strip. Football conditions are different. You've got pads on, you've got a pocket, you're in a drop back, you can't throw the ball at your leisure, you can't run up to the throw like it's some javelin throw. There may be wind. Even in the DISTANCE THROW setting (which is not a football setting), I've seen tons of pro level QBs fail to get the ball 60 yards. For example recently in a competition featuring pro prospects like Mike Glennon, Ryan Nassib, Jordan Rodgers and E.J. Manuel, only Manuel managed to get it 60-plus yards (63 yards as I recall) and Glennon only got it 54 yards (and he's known as a guy that has a strong arm). Drew Brees couldn't get it 60 yards in a distance throw competition. I believe his ball fell down at about 56 yards. As I recall, Jake Delhomme won a distance throw competition one year against the likes of Brees, Palmer and someone else with a 63 yard throw. Those were strong arms he was competing against. In a football game, connecting on a 60 yard throw is INCREDIBLY rare. It's rare you ask your QB to throw that far in a functional football setting. Dan Marino sure as hell rarely, if ever, did that. Hell Ryan Mallett has a freakshow arm and I tracked every deep ball he threw in his final year and never found one that exceeded 52 yards, and that was just one throw. Everything else was 45 yards or so.

3. The first deep throw, the one for a TD, ended up underthrown but again this was a timing issue as Tannehill waited for a point in his roll-out at which he was comfortable he could get under the ball. He threw it about 53-54 yards thru the air at a dead run to his right side. That's a throw that would have pushed every quarterback in the league to his limit, given the roll. The reason it went for the TD is because Wallace located the ball in the air early and adjusted to it very well, then finished the play. He hasn't done those things very often in 2013. And if you REALLY watch all his deep throws from 2012 in Pittsburgh (I'm sending you a PM), then you'll notice he didn't do them that year, either.

4. The second deep throw for a 57-yard bomb was 60 yards in distance. A RARE throw distance for any QB of any arm strength, in pro or college football. Yet the ball was underthrown. Why? Look at the backfield action and then look at the route. This was not just any ole play-action. This was a play-action from under center with a half-roll that was a result of an off-center mesh point between the quarterback and running back. The play-fake delayed the football from coming out of Tannehill's hands tremendously. Meanwhile Wallace runs a simple "out and up" that was a heck of a lot more "up" than "out". I'm not blaming him, he's probably coached to run that route exactly as he did and it faked the HELL out of Captain Munnerlyn. He ran it perfect. The problem is he's too damned fast. He's way up the field by the time Tannehill can even throw that ball. Tannehill throws him a downright RARE distance, and it's still a big time underthrow. That, my friends, is an issue of play design.

5. There was another deep throw that Tannehill missed on the overthrow. I still haven't gotten the chance to break this one down. There's rumors Wallace stumbled on the play and that could certainly explain an overthrow. But even aside from that, people do not realize how COMMON it is to not connect on guys that deep down the field. Completion rate league-wide on throws 41+ yards beyond the line of scrimmage is in the 20 to 30 percent range. All week Tannehill has had people giving him crap for underthrows, including the coaches who instructed him to "let it rip" this week. Is a 1 or 2 yard overthrow REALLY not expected to happen at some point, given that?

6. The final throw was a real beauty. Ball traveled about 63 yards through the air and Tannehill could barely even step into it because he was about to be MURDERED with a hit. Wallace got his head around to look for the ball late (he does that a lot) and so he traveled left-to-right a little too far before figuring out where the football was and twirling back to the other side to catch it. This was was an incredible throw, and it would have taken an INCREDIBLE catch effort by Wallace to make the catch, because of the situation. If he goes down short of the end zone, the game is over. He needed to make a great adjustment on the football, finish the catch, stay on his feet and go the rest of the way into the end zone. It's just not something you see players do often. But then, you also don't often see receivers making $12 million a year.

This,my friends is the sound of the Tannehill haters getting bitched slapped.

Again accuracy is not the problem timing is.
Wallcace is open 15 to 20 yards from the LOS the ball should be in the air.
The ball should be released well before he is at the top of the route.
If it was accuracy the passes would not be catchable.

Analyze all we want. He needs to hit Wallace and Clay on those plays. Period.

Analyze all we want. He needs to hit Wallace and Clay on those plays. Period.

Did you even watch the replay? Clay broke off the route. Tannehill threw it deep, and Clay came back. If Tannehill 'hits clay' on that play, it means he would have thrown it back underneath, and it would have hit a defender in the friggin' back.

I'm not sure what all this breakdown is about. We all watched, we know he struggles connecting with Wallace on the deep ball. Of course there's things like pressure, timing, wind, etc, but that's football and every QB contends with that. The announcers rolled out some ridiculous stat, and the percentage of 20 plus yards completed balls were very low for Tannehill.

The name of the game is touchdowns. How they get there is the coaches problem. I don't care if Daniel Thomas crawls on his knees to the end zone, if it works then I won't be complaining. But their plan was Wallace. If you don't plan on relying on the deep ball as critical to your game plan, then you don't outbid everyone for the services of Wallace, period.

In defense of Tanny, we have a crap running game. Few QB's can be successful with that problem. But...this thread isn't about the ****ty running game, or the O line, or the lack of great TE's, or the stifling O coordinator. It's about Tanny's arm and brain and instincts. He needs to improve.

Back
Top Bottom