I was Miami's interim GM over at the reddit NFL mock draft, here are the results.

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by JakeMcAwful, Feb 24, 2014.

1. JakeMcAwful

JakeMcAwful Irish Dolphan

http://www.reddit.com/r/NFL_Draft/comments/1ynyik/unofficial_mock_draft_tracker/?sort=new&limit=500

That link will bring you to the page listing all four rounds that happened.. There were 30 GMs for the teams (TEN and SEA didn't show up) and we were given 5 minutes per pick to receive trade offers and such.. And a lot of trading happened. Some stupid, some pretty good but the results weren't too bad (minus a few surprise picks in the top 10). I stayed out of the trading entirely, just because I got nothing good offered..

So the Dolphins results were as follows:

(1) #19 - Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
    (2) #50 - Chris Borland, LB, Wisconsin
    (3) #81 - Ka'Deem Carey, RB, Arizona
    (4) #112 - James Hurst, OT, UNC

I was pretty happy with the draft overall. I think I got excellent value across the board, but I know the Borland pick will be a bit controversial - especially considering Smallwood, Niklas and Richardson were all still on the board. I'm personally having doubts about Niklas' ability to separate from coverage at the next level, considering how slow he seems on tape. I just didn't think second round was good value for him.. As for Richardson, I thought there would be better value at guard later in the draft than there would be at ILB.

Ka'Deem Carey and Hurst were two picks I was delighted to sit on.. Carey is my favourite back in the draft and fits our system perfectly, I think he'll be a good one. Hurst probably won't offer much year 1, but I think he develops into a solid tackle for us - still slightly underrated imo. For the first round pick, it was a coin flip between Mosely and Lewan, with Martin a consideration too. I've heard some talk/concern about Mosely's longevity in the league and that worried me a bit more than Lewan's character concerns.. As seen later, no more top level tackle prospects were available by our second rounder so I'm pretty okay with the Lewan pick. Gives us a lot more flexibility later in the draft too.

So what do you guys think? Like, dislike, blisteringly loathe? :D

2. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

I'm alright with that.

3. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

Borland in the 2nd round? Wow, way overdrafted...the other picks are really good and good value.

4. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

It's difficult to say if it was a good draft with no context of what players were available
    when you picked

5. JakeMcAwful

Follow the link I gave and it shows the entire draft, so you can get an idea of it.

6. Birdmond

Birdmond FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Not if you want him. There is no way Borland is there when Miami picks in round 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. MiamiDolfan85

MiamiDolfan85 DA M.I.A IS WHERE I STAY

replace Chris Borland with Telvin Smith in the 2nd and you got me!

8. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

+1

9. Digital

Digital Starter

You got Lewan at 19 and Hurst at 112 !!!!!!! Man, that's awesome work! Either one of those guys can play LT and that gives us two good OL, Lewan in year 1 and Hurst in year 2. Well done!

10. Martel13

Martel13 Since '84 Super Donator

Dont love Carey. Rest is solid

11. HoneyB

HoneyB A True Fan

I'm curious why the Browns would pass over Ka'Deem Carey 5 times, and then go with Sankey in the third round. Has Carey's stock dropped or something?

12. JakeMcAwful

Not in my eyes. I think he was suspended for one game at the start of this year.. Maybe that's playing in people's minds. However I know a lot of people have a particular fascination with Sankey.. I don't see it. He's probably the 5th/6th best back in my mind.

13. PhinSoldia

PhinSoldia Miami Dolphin Columnist in the Making

Im actually excited for that draft, other than Boreland, I love Taylor Lewan but i fear after Kuandjio was found with Arthritic Knees that Lewan's stock will take a bump, Hurst is a guard but not that great with Zone Blocking

and I have actually written a fantasy article about Ka'Deem Carey, he would be everything that Daniel Thomas isn't I am excited for his future and if Miami picks him I would love that over all I would be happy with your draft sir

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

they may want the Anti Trent Richardson...a smaller back with a little wiggle, Lache Seastrunk...Dri Archer?

14. HoneyB

HoneyB A True Fan

My fantasy is that Daniel Thomas is no longer on the roster, period. And Nolan Carroll can take the same train.

I would be very happy with Carey.

15. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Carey ran a bad 40 (4.70). A lot of people are going to overreact to it. The three best RB's in the draft had poor 40 times (Hill, Hyde, Carey) - as did Emmitt Smith and Terrell Davis.

16. PhinSoldia

PhinSoldia Miami Dolphin Columnist in the Making

thinking about it get you all excited?

17. utahphinsfan

utahphinsfan Puck Fitzburgh

Did you watch the combine yesterday? Sankey did everything well. Plus, the scheme Sarkisian ran is more pro compatible than Rich Rod's run & shoot in Tucson.

18. Hoot

Hoot Keeper of the Old Code Finheaven VIP

Nice job man! Great 1st round choice and solid pickups later on. I actually love the Borland pic in the 2nd and I could see Hickey making a run for him. I'm from Nebraska, so when Lavonte David hit the draft, I really wanted the Fins to snag him. Not too many people outside of the midwest truly understood what David was capable of, but we sure did as Husker fans. Now the guy is tearing it up with the Bucs and many were ticked he did not earn a Pro Bowl spot or even DPOY. But Hickey....he was a Midwest scout, he was paying attention to Big Ten ball and knew what David could bring to their team, so they took him early. I think he will have a similar ear to the ground with Wisconsin and be tempted to make the same plunge with Borland. I still would take David over Borland in a heart beat, but Borland is an intriguing prospect with an uncanny ability to play ball and a great guy to bring into the locker room.

19. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

Love Borland pick some think it may be bit of a reach but the guys instincts are insane. Someone will grab him. In the 2nd

20. MP-Omnis

MP-Omnis Larry King, Antique Bandwagon

Make it Hyde at 2 and Borland at 3 and I'd be stoked.

Gonna go look over the full results. Sounds like a neat thing.

21. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

Nice job Jake. I'd love Zack Martin, and Ka'Deem Carey at RB. I like that you grabbed a couple solid O-lineman.

22. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

Yeah, I felt the same way at first too. But if you value someone as a leader who can be a tackling machine, which we need badly, then you might want to overdraft them since there are 31 other teams with over half picking before you. If you really want the guy, you might want to take him earlier....or trade down and get another pick for later.

23. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

Sefarian Jenkins' production went down last year due to Sankey being the man from what I've read for what its worth.

24. chuckdiesel

chuckdiesel Well-Known Member

I'd like to see us take a shot on Nilkas in the 2nd. I know he's raw but the same was said about J.Graham coming out. His size and ability will help tremendously in the red zone. As far as Carey goes, Id rather take Kapri Bibbs out of Colorado state. I watched the combine and he stood out to me amongst the RB group. He's a big back with a strong frame, ran a 4.6 40, 23 reps bench (3rd best rb).

I'd also like for us to explore Deanthony Thomas if he's there in the 4th rd. Thigpen did nothing for us last season and we need an interchangeable weapon like him to add creativity to the offense (think Percy Harvin)

A couple late rd picks from me as well are Michael schofield- RG or RT (Mich), Jonathan harris - C or LG (Flo), Cody Hoffman- WR (BYU)