Ideal Offseason | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ideal Offseason

MrEd said:
With the new CBA we are actually allowed to cut, (and they are going to vote on trading), "2" players prior to the start of free agency in February that would split the cap hit in half between 2007 and 2008.
So Zach should definitely be one of those "2" players, who would clear ($6.2mil). The other one should be one of either Chambers, who would clear ($4.5mil) or Mare, who would clear ($1mil).

These could notch us draft picks before the draft respectively.

Then, after free agency begins we can still cut or trade Booker, who would clear ($3.1mil); Harrington, who would clear ($3mil); and/or James, who would clear ($1mil).

In other words, we can actually be much more than the 21mil under the cap we'll have as a result of only having 36 players under contract for 2007.
Look for a total makeover this offseason. I get the butterflies thinking about it!

I would definitely pursue the likes of Steinbach, Briggs, Thomas, and/or Clement. We are sure to hit on one or two of those.

Then, draft a WR in the 1st, a LT in the 2nd, a C in the 3rd, a LB in the 4th, BPA in the 6th, and BPA in the 7th.

Should we obtain any 1st day picks from either Chambers and/or Thomas...then we can add a CB and another LB, a S, or a NT.

Should we obtain any other picks from maybe Booker or Mare... then BPA.

Nice post MrEd.

Curious that none of you mentioned the biggest weakness on our team, the coaching staff. We need a new staff...HC, OC, DC at least. We should probably start over completely, but for sure the Head Coach and both coordinators need to go. They have no credibility to rebuild this team.

You can make all the changes in the world and with this coaching staff this team will still suck.

TampaFinsFan01 said:
Curious that none of you mentioned the biggest weakness on our team, the coaching staff. We need a new staff...HC, OC, DC at least. We should probably start over completely, but for sure the Head Coach and both coordinators need to go. They have no credibility to rebuild this team.

You can make all the changes in the world and with this coaching staff this team will still suck.

Not going to happen. Not after only 2 seasons. Maybe if after next season and all the tons of cap space we have...if we don't compete. Yes. But not after just 2 seasons. Maybe Murlarkey goes though. :wink:

TampaFinsFan01 said:

We just recently started over . . . u can't keep changing coaching staffs every 2 years because the one u implemented couldn't turn a 4-12 team around overnight . . . gimme a break with that nonsense. Maybe one of the coordinators but not the head coach.

Thats a pretty in depth assessment. Good job. My only problem would be signing that many free agents. It would obviously depend on how much money they want, but it seems like four free agents of that caliber would cost a lot. I like your philosophy in the draft. Offensive line and secondary are the two biggest weaknesses and you addressed them. Linebacker is a position that is old and will soon have nothing but Crowder. I agree that even with some good draft picks and good FA signings, we will be about a 8-8 team next year. And hopefully the offensive line and the secondary will jell and really come together.

are you guys idiotic if im readin this right....get rid of chambers and thomas??? what..

chambers09 said:
are you guys idiotic if im readin this right....get rid of chambers and thomas??? what..

ohhh good i thought i was the only one who thought that....

Tupac Shakur said:
As of right now (Week 8, Bye Week) this would be my idea of an ideal offseason for the Dolphins, keeping it within reason, realistically speaking.

Release/Waive/Do Not Resign:

Sammy Morris, RB
Darian Barnes, FB
Chris Davis, WR
Eric Kimble, WR
Jason Rader, TE
Tim Massaquoi, TE
Damion McIntosh, T
Bennie Anderson, G
Kendyl Jacox, G/C
Trey Darilek, C
Vonnie Holliday, DT
Keith Traylor, NT (Retire?)
Jeff Zgonina, DT (Retire?)
David Bowens, DE
Donnie Spragan, LB
Keith Adams, LB
Keith Newman, LB
Michael Lehan, CB
Eddie Jackson, CB
Will Poole, CB
Travares Tillman, S
Olindo Mare, K

Trade:
Marty Booker, WR for a 4th round draft choice
Jeno James, G for a 5th round draft choice

Sign in Unrestricted Free Agency:
Eric Steinbach, G (Bengals)
Adalius Thomas, LB (Ravens)
Asante Samuel, CB (Patriots)
Josh Brown, K (Seahawks)

Draft:
(Assuming 3rd overall pick)
Round 1-
Joe Thomas, T - Wisconsin
We haven't had a quality LT since the days of Richmond Webb; this guy could solve a lot of problems.
Round 2-
Aaron Rouse, S - Virginia Tech
We need a physical, nasty presence in the defensive backfield, to tandem with the coverage ability of Jason Allen.
Round 3-
Nate Harris, LB - Louisville
If we are going to continue to try and run the 3-4, then good linebackers are a neccessity
, and Harris could take over for Zach Thomas by 2008.
Round 4-
a:
Jonathan Wade, CB - Tennessee
Eddie Jackson and Michael Lehan can't hold it down; Wade is much more athletic and fluid.
b: (Booker trade) David Ball, WR - New Hampshire
A receiver that actually catches the ball would be a welcome addition to this corps.
Round 5-
a: (To Detroit for Joey Harrington)
b: (James trade) Dan Mozes, C - West Virginia
Hopefully could beat out Joe Berger to improve interior O-Line depth.
c: *(possible comp. pick b/c of Sam Madison) Ben Patrick, TE - Delaware
A good blocking tight end, seems to solve the 3rd TE issues we've been having lately.
Round 6-
a: Cory Anderson, FB - Tennessee
Probably better than Barnes or anyone we've had around here recently.
Round 7-
a:
Justin Hickman, DE - UCLA
Should be able to adeptly fit the DE/OLB role.

So, after all this, the Dolphins seem to have improved in key areas. It is asking a lot to sign those four free agent players, but Miami needs to pony up the dough for these guys, especially because of their deficiencies at their respective positions. Here is what their roster would look like for the most part, at least heading into camp.

QB: D. Culpepper, J. Harrington, C. Lemon
RB: R. Brown, R. Williams, T. Minor, P. Cobbs
FB: C. Anderson
WR: C. Chambers, D. Hagan, W. Welker, M. Vick, D. Ball, F. Gibson
TE: R. McMichael, J. Peele, B. Patrick
LT: J. Thomas, A. Alabi
LG: E. Steinbach, J. Berger
C: R. Hadnot, D. Mozes
RG: L. Shelton, S. McKinney
RT: V. Carey, J. Toledo
DE: K. Carter, M. Roth
DT: K. Vickerson, R. Wright, M. Wright
NT: D.Wilkinson, F. Evans
OE: J. Taylor, J. Hickman
SAM: A. Thomas, J. Maxwell
MIKE: Z. Thomas, N. Harris
WILL: C. Crowder, D. Pope
CB: W. Allen, A. Samuel, T. Daniels, A. Goodman, J. Wade
FS: J. Allen, R. Hill
SS: A. Rouse, Y. Bell
K: J. Brown
P: D. Jones
LS: J. Denney

I still think, even with these improvements, that this team would be around an 8-8 team, with the possibility of plus or minus 2 wins, and maybe a wildcard birth. But the real contending team would come in the following year, after some of the younger players got more experience. One more caveat to this offseason would be the firing of Mike Mularkey. I'm not sure who's available in the coaching arena, but I wouldn't be opposed to a young, up-and-coming coach from the college ranks to come in and take over as offensive coordinator. This might add a newness to the offense.

Anyway, criticize away.

good post....but here we go depending on ricky again!!!

chambers09 said:

I'm not opposed to it, if we get the right deal . . . think about it. If u could trade both of those guys . . . u are talking about a possible 1st for Chris and maybe a third for Zack.

If Chris can improve this year, and put up great numbers . . . than maybe a team in need of a #1 WR will gamble a first on him. And a playoff team, might wanna take the NFL's leading tackler for a season or 2 to make a playoff push. The we lose over 10 million in salary from 2 guys, and gain 2 first day picks. So assuming we have a top pick . . . we could draft a Calvin Johnson in the first round, and still have room to draft maybe a Landry or someone like that later in the first. Then come back and have room to fill OL and LB in the second and third rounds with the extra Zack pick. Crowder can move inside and picking up Briggs would solve Crowders position along with the draft pick for the other side.

Zack is 34 man, a third rounder would be fantastic, hell a team like NE (god I hope he doesn't go inside the division) who has a late 2nd rounder might say, hey he is a missing piece to a playoff/Super Bowl push, they might do it. Rather lose the 6+ Million and get a 2nd/3rd rounder, then lose Zack to Free Agency or Retirement . . . this is a business and u have to run it like that.

MrEd said:
This is not about Zach's worst season. It's about the $6.2mil that we would free up to sign a Briggs??? Plus he's going to be 34??? The 3rd or 4th round pick would just be an added bonus.

Then, the Chambers trade, which would free up $4.5mil, would only be done dependant on what pick we finish with, like a top 5 pick. Meaning we would dangle him for a 1st round pick only if we were already decided to draft his replacement in either a Calvin Johnson or Tedd Ginn Jr.

And then we would draft a LT with the new 1st rounder.:cooldude: :wink:

First of all, Zach isn't going to make 6.2 mil next year. When was the last time he made the amount of money he was suppose to make....he's always been willing to restructure.....YOu want to sign Briggs well then fine Zach and Taylor are going to restructure like they do every year....you want to basically start over and get rid of just about any skill player we have...we don't need to do that....OUr defense is still one of the top in the league,secondary needs to be improved but we are still very young back there so they are going to improve.MOve Jason Allen to cornerback and we have Allen,Allen and Daniels at cb.

Draft a safety in the second (considering we have a high pick). DRaft a LT in the first. Start whoever we draft at safety along with Bell who is good if we would freakin play him over Tillman who sucks btw. draft a linebacker in the 3rd or 4th and have Zach bring him up like he did with Crowder. Sign Briggs off of money we get from restructres plus the like 5 mil the cap goes up. Fix the o-line with draft picks and add depth and good coaching during offseason. The team doesn't need to be completely changed,there is tons of talent, but the coaching staff has to figure out the best way to use it. Our problem this year is the inability to start and finish games,not bad players.

MARINO1384 said:
First of all, Zach isn't going to make 6.2 mil next year. When was the last time he made the amount of money he was suppose to make....he's always been willing to restructure.....YOu want to sign Briggs well then fine Zach and Taylor are going to restructure like they do every year....you want to basically start over and get rid of just about any skill player we have...we don't need to do that....OUr defense is still one of the top in the league,secondary needs to be improved but we are still very young back there so they are going to improve.MOve Jason Allen to cornerback and we have Allen,Allen and Daniels at cb.

I think that you should research the contracts and the numbers before you make an assessment.

Zach is actually due to count as $8mil against the cap. By trading him before free agency we would clear $6.3mil from that. This money could be used to sign a Briggs and add a 3rd round pick on top of that.

It is a no brainer. Then we could move Crowder to MLB, where he flourished in college. Replace Crowder's WLB with Briggs and add a rookie or yet another free agent at SLB.

No brainer. new improved defense. AND younger.

Also, you keep restructuring these old heads with big amoritized money already...your fking yourself up for the future. If you are like NE, you mess up one year, no sweat. Because you have tons of cap space the following year.

This is the way to stay good and get good the following year, if you mess up the draft or free agency this year. You have the money to fix it the year after that as well.

MrEd said:
I think that you should research the contracts and the numbers before you make an assessment.

Zach is actually due to count as $8mil against the cap. By trading him before free agency we would clear $6.3mil from that. This money could be used to sign a Briggs and add a 3rd round pick on top of that.

It is a no brainer. Then we could move Crowder to MLB, where he flourished in college. Replace Crowder's WLB with Briggs and add a rookie or yet another free agent at SLB.

No brainer. new improved defense. AND younger.

Doesn't matter if i reseached his contract....he'll be making about 5 mil along with Taylor restructing....you'll still be able to afford Briggs and keep Thomas.I'd rather have...
Olb: Briggs
MLB: Zach Thomas
OLB: Crowder

then Briggs,CRowder and some no name.....If you draft someone in the 3rd or 4th with talent like we did with Crowder then i garenteee you that Zach's teaching will bring out the same result.

MARINO1384 said:
Doesn't matter if i reseached his contract....he'll be making about 5 mil along with Taylor restructing....you'll still be able to afford Briggs and keep Thomas.I'd rather have...
Olb: Briggs
MLB: Zach Thomas
OLB: Crowder

then Briggs,CRowder and some no name.....If you draft someone in the 3rd or 4th with talent like we did with Crowder then i garenteee you that Zach's teaching will bring out the same result.

U think Zack is the reason why Crowder was so successful? I mean he probably has taught him a few things . . . but Crowder had a real bad injury where if it wasn't for that, he was a first rounder . . . the kid is not a nobody man.

And its more than Briggs, its getting a GOOD OL player, maybe a Corner, some youth . . . releasing a few high salaries could help with that. I like Zack, but Ed brings up a few good things to think about.

Kdawg954 said:
U think Zack is the reason why Crowder was so successful? I mean he probably has taught him a few things . . . but Crowder had a real bad injury where if it wasn't for that, he was a first rounder . . . the kid is not a nobody man.

And its more than Briggs, its getting a GOOD OL player, maybe a Corner, some youth . . . releasing a few high salaries could help with that. I like Zack, but Ed brings up a few good things to think about.

Exactly, as sad is it is to think this could be Zach's last season as a Fin, you've got to get value for him while you still can, and if possible get Zach to a contender; we all know he deserves the ring.

Back
Top Bottom