If Foster/Reddick are off the board by #22 - list your TOP 5. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Foster/Reddick are off the board by #22 - list your TOP 5.

My top 5 - who would you take? Please post your own top5 below.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I too am a huge Willis fan. I hope he is there in the second round for us and we grab him. He is Gase's type of player. Imagine Reddick in the first followed by Willis in the second???? Wow, our defense would be in good shape for several years.

No way he lasts to the 2nd....I use the 1st on him...true football player with great skills.

Jabrill Peppers is my pick judging by our offseason, owner, gm, and coach. Assuming of course that he is there at 22.

Michigan man so Ross is thrilled. Alpha male personality to fit Gases mold. Big name to appease Tannenbaum. Lastly fills a huge need next to our All Pro SS in a division where TEs continue to destroy us year in and year out.

---------- Post added at 02:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 AM ----------

Jabrill Peppers is my pick judging by our offseason, owner, gm, and coach. Assuming of course that he is there at 22.

Michigan man so Ross is thrilled. Alpha male personality to fit Gases mold. Big name to appease Tannenbaum. Lastly fills a huge need next to our All Pro SS in a division where TEs continue to destroy us year in and year out.

Lamp.....huge need. Possibly will be BPA. Not a sexy pick but keeping RT is paramount.
Taco Charlton....DEs will be popular but I see him falling a bit.
TJ Watt....motor. Competitor and would look great here. Misi will be a backup.
Buddha Baker......a bit high, but we really need a great FS
Jarrad Davis....inside backer.....I actually think the pick will be between Davis and Lamp

I also look at it this way. A DE will likely get about 40% of the defensive snaps unless he is a complete monster from day one. a SLB 35-40%.

A FS would get close to 100% (if he can start from day 1) but not sure about Peppers as a compliment to Jones. They are too similar but Jones has more of a history with picks.

“You’re going to draft a safety with a lucky interception in the top 10? We get fired for mistakes like that,” the scout wrote.

Miller followed that up with: “As much as the media likes Peppers, the sense I get from NFL folks is the Heisman candidate is more hype than substance.”

Peppers has been lauded for his versatility, playing safety, linebacker, nickelback on defense, while also taking snaps on offense as a wildcat quarterback.

Peppers intercepted his first career pass against Ohio State. He made 66 tackles (13 for loss) in 12 games this season and had 170 yards and 3 touchdowns on 29 touches on offense.

A DT/DE combo could get 75-80% of snaps. A nickel CB/ outside corner combo would get 90-100% depending on his ability to get on the field and displace our top 3 guys.

A LG will play 100% of the offensive snaps.

I also look at it this way. A DE will likely get about 40% of the defensive snaps unless he is a complete monster from day one. a SLB 35-40%.

A FS would get close to 100% (if he can start from day 1) but not sure about Peppers as a compliment to Jones. They are too similar but Jones has more of a history with picks.

A DT/DE combo could get 75-80% of snaps. A nickel CB/ outside corner combo would get 90-100% depending on his ability to get on the field and displace our top 3 guys.

A LG will play 100% of the offensive snaps.

Yeah, but if you get too hung up on that, you end up passing on superior talent to fill holes. The draft should always be about the long game. Miami isn't winning the SB with one pass rusher. If you pass on a guy who can be a 10+ sack player, because his snaps may be limited as a rookie, you're never going to address that very real need.

Yeah, but if you get too hung up on that, you end up passing on superior talent to fill holes. The draft should always be about the long game. Miami isn't winning the SB with one pass rusher. If you pass on a guy who can be a 10+ sack player, because his snaps may be limited as a rookie, you're never going to address that very real need.

I look at it this way. First rounder should be a day one starter. 2nd round should be VERY close. Anything between rounds 3-5 you expect to develop into a starter but want a contribution from ASAP. That's what grades are for and the FO just said as much. The higher the round, the quicker I want them on the field. That's why you are paying them more. I don't want to pay a guy 2.5M a year to "develop". That's top 20 money on the roster.

Besides I don't see a clear distinction in talent at DE from 22 to 54 in the draft. (Projecting who is likely to be available). The edge class seems deep but not a lot of elite players at the top.

Who would be available at 22 that is going to come in and displace our $8M man at WDE?? or Cam Wake as a strong side pass rusher or Hayes as a base end? I think you have to look at what the FO is doing. Not saying I agree but they view Branch as the long term starter at WDE. They signed Hayes to solidify the strong side until next year. Why would they spend the first pick on a DE when this is their train of thought? They said a few weeks back that you have to get a starter/(full time player) in rounds 1 and 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
I look at it this way. First rounder should be a day one starter. 2nd round should be VERY close. Anything between rounds 3-5 you expect to develop into a starter but want a contribution from ASAP. That's what grades are for and the FO just said as much. The higher the round, the quicker I want them on the field. That's why you are paying them more. I don't want to pay a guy 2.5M a year to "develop". That's top 20 money on the roster.

Besides I don't see a clear distinction in talent at DE from 22 to 54 in the draft. (Projecting who is likely to be available). The edge class seems deep but not a lot of elite players at the top.

That's not the way it works. Some positions take longer to develop. DE/Edge/pass rusher is one of the positions that take longer. It's also the most valuable position in football after the QB. If you're not willing to spend premium picks on the position, and if you're not willing to develop those picks, you're going to have a hard time building a good D. Justin Houston, JJ Watt, Vic Beasley, Frank Clark, and Danielle Hunter all had limited snaps and production as rookies. Think any of them isn't worth the 22nd pick? FA is for filling holes. The draft is for building a great team, with high-end talent. After Hooker, there isn't a Safety I'd draft over Willis, Watt, or Bowser; there isn't a DT in this class I'd draft ahead of that group; and there isn't an OG I'd draft before them. You don't get players with their tools in every draft. 2011 and 2015 were the last drafts with comparable Edge prospects - could make a case for 2014, but I'd argue the point.

I don't know what players you're projecting at 22 and 54, so I'll hold off on addressing that point.

Outside of Wake, and counting on him is brave at best, who is rushing the QB for Miami?

I've now got Taco and Watt on my overrated list. I don't see top 1st rd material. Especially Watt.

No one said he was a top 1st round talent....we are picking at #22, not #8 again this year. If anything I think too many people are sleeping on Watt.

scheme and snap count is relevant however when it comes to edge rushers I agree with the concept that j off has presented

however I would like an answer to this question...is there an actual schematic reason as in just purely because of our scheme there is no wiggle room for Miami to have a 2 down strong and a sub edge rusher? because while I understand that the off the los play will be highly projection based and even risky frankly the draft grade comes primarily from the sub edge rush win value

so when gase says they are gonna tweak it or make some adjustments is there any possibility for us to employ said usage

That's not the way it works. Some positions take longer to develop. DE/Edge/pass rusher is one of the positions that take longer. It's also the most valuable position in football after the QB. If you're not willing to spend premium picks on the position, and if you're not willing to develop those picks, you're going to have a hard time building a good D. Justin Houston, JJ Watt, Vic Beasley, Frank Clark, and Danielle Hunter all had limited snaps and production as rookies. Think any of them isn't worth the 22nd pick? FA is for filling holes. The draft is for building a great team, with high-end talent. After Hooker, there isn't a Safety I'd draft over Willis, Watt, or Bowser; there isn't a DT in this class I'd draft ahead of that group; and there isn't an OG I'd draft before them. You don't get players with their tools in every draft. 2011 and 2015 were the last drafts with comparable Edge prospects - could make a case for 2014, but I'd argue the point.

I don't know what players you're projecting at 22 and 54, so I'll hold off on addressing that point.

Outside of Wake, and counting on him is brave at best, who is rushing the QB for Miami?

To add on to that, one of the most valuable assets a player can bring to a team is helping his team get off the field on a third down play. Right now we have one guy who can get to the qb. Even if he isn't getting tons of snaps early on, if we can get a guy who gives this team a legit pass rush, really helps the defense on passing downs and actually helps our defense get off the field on those plays, that'll be a huge help to this team

Like I said, I never said I was satisfied with our starting WDE but the front office showed all of us that they were.

JJ Watt started 16 games as a rookie. Vic Beasley started 16 games as a rookie. Justin Houston started 10 games as a rookie AND he was a THIRD round pick. Danielle Hunter was a 3rd round pick. I'd say that most of them were taken right about where they needed to be.

Of course they all have to develop but the top picks were not doing it on the bench on Sundays. They were starting.

Like I said, I never said I was satisfied with our starting WDE but the front office showed all of us that they were.

JJ Watt started 16 games as a rookie. Vic Beasley started 16 games as a rookie. Justin Houston started 10 games as a rookie AND he was a THIRD round pick. Danielle Hunter was a 3rd round pick. I'd say that most of them were taken right about where they needed to be.

Of course they all have to develop but the top picks were not doing it on the bench on Sundays. They were starting.

Houston and Hunter would both be top-10 picks in a re-draft. Watt posted 5.5 sacks as a rookie (same as Branch this year), and Beasley posted 4 sacks, and many were calling him a bust.

We're probably talking about different things. It seems like you're aligning your views based on what the FO will do, and I'm talking about what they should do.

1.) Lamp...LG/backup LT

2.) Robinson...as a LG/Backup LT

3.) Obi

4.) Davis

5.) Bowser

Bumoed off the list...Willis/Harris

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom