If Ireland is fired Philbin may be gone as well

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by BAdkins159, Nov 16, 2012.

1. BAdkins159

BAdkins159 Well-Known Member

Just like Cam was let go after one year when Parcells came in. Very rarley does a new Gm come in and keep the coach. They normally want to bring in their own guy and start fresh. Personally want Ireland gone but would like to keep Philbin.

2. Thumper1016

Thumper1016 A True Fan

We should have fired him last year but we always do things backwards IMO.

3. Dolfan4life

Dolfan4life Starter Donator

Who cares who coaches these losers. Let Reggie coach for all I care

4. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

So be it.

5. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Joe stays.

6. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

Don't be so sure about that.

7. DolphinzD

DolphinzD Boom!! How you like that??

Yeah, but if Baltimore's kicker makes a FG in OT then Cam Cameron would have been 0-16. Not like it was all his fault, considering the mess that Saban left him, but still. This team may look like garbage right now, but they still have 4 wins, and should have won 2 others.

8. Ricky4Life

Ricky4Life Repin the MIA in AZ!!

They will promote from within or bring someone in that will work with Joe.

9. gofins60

gofins60 A True Fan

Ireland should be replaced... before the draft! Philbin can stay, but Sherman and his lousy playcalling has to go. (And take your o-line with you!)

10. Afmo

Afmo A True Fan

good, see ya joe. nice guys finish last.

11. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

Here we go... Another beaut.

12. Miamifan72

Miamifan72 Member

They won't get rid of him

13. silverfin

silverfin FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

One would hope if Ireland is fired (which btw I don't think he will be) then Ross would involve Philbin in the decision making process to appoint a new GM.

14. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

If Ireland is fired the idea that Philbin will also be fired is a very real possibility since a new GM might want their own head coach. If Philbin is fired after just one season, even with a losing record, this franchise deserves all the negative attention and laughter we would get during the offseason.

Things look ugly right now, but firing Philbin and looking to replace Tannehill is not the way to go to try and fix things. New head coaches starting rookie quarterbacks usually have early struggles and growing pains, with some rare exceptions. Why can other teams be allowed to have those growing pains and the Dolphins can't? Starting completely over is not the way to go. If at the end of the year Ross decides Ireland is not the GM for the long term(I still think Ross is going to stick with him), you better hope that Ross lets Philbin pick the GM or that they promote from within.

Another complete startover(GM, head coach, QB) is just going to lead to more struggles and pain. You can't keep firing and replacing people after only one season, you can't build that way. If you want to fire and replace Ireland, fine, but make sure you are able to keep your head coach and quarterback in place.

15. hoops

hoops exited stage left

neither ireland or philbin are going anywhere this offseason...so hold your damn breath when ireland pulls the trigger on these "playmakers" in the draft...

16. AZStryker

AZStryker Pro Bowler

Sorry but there's no way Ireland to stay. Unfortunately he'll be replace with the equally inept Carl Peterson.

17. FinsNCanes

FinsNCanes 9-7

Philibin was given an Accord and asked to turn it into a Ferrari. Not gonna happen, and will take time. No playmakers at all, none. Grinding out drives and stuff doesn't really seem to benefit the Offense anymore due to one mistake can just ruin it all.

We would be better off winging the ball downfield trying to get PI calls at this point.

18. finitis23

finitis23 Well-Known Member

fire ireland . keep philbin . promote brian gaine

19. CaliFinFan420

CaliFinFan420 Banned Hammered

I doubt it.

20. HarryBagpipe

HarryBagpipe Archibald Meatpants Super Donator Donator

If firing Ireland means losing philbin than so be it. If we lose philbin, does that hurt the team and its progress? Maybe. If Ireland is still here, will we continue to flounder and have no chance of success? Definitely.

Ill take my chances with the maybe.

21. Zounds

Zounds A True Fan Donator

Ireland isnt getting canned even if we lose the rest of the season

22. Ryan1973

Ryan1973 Pro Bowler

And how do you know this for sure? Can you tell me the winning lottery numbers too? Ireland is the reason this roster stinks and needs to go pronto!

23. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

A better analogy would be that Philbin was given a Chevrolet and he was asked to turn it into a Ford...
    Just sayin..

24. Hayden Fox

Don't sleep on the fact that Carl Peterson and some of his old associates from KC like Bill Kuharich being possible replacements. I still believe the stories last year that Ireland liked McCoy, but Ross liked Philbin. How did Ross get the idea to like Philbin? My guess it was a seed planted via Peterson.

FYI, Peterson was in the owner's box with Ross last night as a "guest".

People are down on Peterson, but I never have been.

I am also not down on Brian Gaine or others connected with the Packers organization.

I do believe Ireland is out, but Joe stays...and he should stay. Some good things have occurred. The season is going to get ugly for him, but there are some signs he will succeed as a HC.

25. iwastherein72

iwastherein72 Well-Known Member

The ABSOLUTE LAST thing this franchise needs is a first-time GM who requires several seasons of OJT to even be serviceable.

We must have a Proven Commodity who has a track record of personnel choices that WORK.

26. Hayden Fox

27. Zounds

No surprise here. He attends a lot of games.

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

I could tell you the winning lottery numbers the day after the drawing. I can also tell you Ireland will not be fired the day after he isnt fired, which is everyday.

28. Strangeworld

Strangeworld Banned Hammered

If Philben is a casualty of war so be it.... GM is 95% of the issue with this team.

29. Hayden Fox

A roadie in Buffalo...hmmm.

30. Zounds

Yeap. Carl Peterson lives in New York and stopped by to hang with his friend. I'd be surprised if he wasnt there.

31. iambanned

iambanned Banned Hammered

Let's be honest, if that PI penalty on Hartline doesn't happen and Miami, with that momentum, goes in for 6, Miami wins the game and our conversations are different today. I don't know that's going on with the OLine, but it's not one of the classic swiss-cheese OLine games that I've seen around the league all year. Miami had 7 sacks against the Cardinals and then St. Louis had 8 against them the following week. There are bum OLines and there are mediocre ones and that would be ours. I do think the issue in our run game is that teams are loading up to stop us and we're not making them pay. Also, teams have seen the film on us and we've reached the end of what we can do with just scheme.
    Let's look at why our defense has given up so many rushing yards lately. It's because our secondary is so bad that we have to overcompensate to cover the pass. We're spread out and fixated on it and running lanes are happening all over the place. Plus, let's be honest. We've faced some high-round pick talented mofos out there lately. Spiller is a talented player, and CJ2K is a damn superstar. Still, Buffalo was spreading us out and whipping our DB's *** last night.
    My point is that we can't run until we can get these teams scrambling in the pass game. Until these teams have to really be concerned with getting lit up through the air they will continue to make our OLine's job miserable.
    Our OLine is far from perfect, but they hung in there long enough to give #17 time much more often than not. Our QB is inaccurate and our receivers don't get enough space often enough.

I kinda forgot what my point was here relating to the thread title. Maybe it's just that Philbin/Sherman are doing OK if our players make the plays. If teams want to stack the box, then hit the open receivers and tear down the field.

This is why we won't get a new GM though: A new GM isn't gonna be in love with our rosters, or who are draft picks were in previous years. They won't coddle Tannehill. They won't care about which system he ran when. So a new GM will look at Tannehill as an inaccurate QB who fails to make plays. A new GM will probably bring in a veteran that he knows can play the game. You'll have a REAL QB competition in camp. Tanny really will have to earn it and that is in doubt right now. Miami's previous investments will fall by the wayside, and I just don't think Ross has the balls to do that. Ross won't have the stones to shred everything that's come before. Ross won't admit that the whole brain trust that's put in place is a failure and scrap it. Ross won't risk losing the investment they've made in Tannehill, starting just at the PR standpoint and team marketability standpoint. Plus he knows that there's no guarantees the new guy will get it right either. So he will stay the course. The whole course.

32. finitis23

finitis23 Well-Known Member

This is an unfair statement. Not every first time GM needs several seasons to be a good evaluator. Plus we need someone who has already worked with Philbin before so they can be on the same page during draft time & fre agency, which WILL be the most crucial time for us (because of all the picks & money we've acquired). Gaine would be a god choice based primarily on the grounds of continuity & the fat that people around the league see him as a good future GM candidate. I'm thinking that if Ireland gets fired (which he should), it should either be Briane Gaine or MAYBE someone from Green Bay's front office. But Gaine should be the one we end up with in the end.

33. Hayden Fox

NYC to Buffalo is actually a haul.

34. Phantom

Phantom Phantom Donator

Sure is, I live in NY., and i could actually go see a Carolina game in less time than it would take for me to go to Buffalo.

35. Zounds

Rich people dont drive. They fly 30 minutes across the state. Give it up dude. Carl Peterson at a Buffalo game is nothing more than Carl Peterson at a Buffalo game.

36. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

people are so emotionally unstable

37. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker Well-Known Member

I've seen this scenario posted here before, but one response I haven't seen is the fact that the front office could opt to restructure, so that the GM reports to the head coach. Other teams do this - I couldn't tell you specific teams off the top of my head, but not every team has an owner-team president-GM-head coach hierarchy. While this may limit our options for a new GM, as I suspect most experienced GMs would want total control of football operations, it still allows us some flexibility in keeping Philbin.

38. Cleetus

Cleetus Well-Known Member

I imagine watching a beloved franchise wallow in the depths of mediocrity or worse for so long has an effect on some people's emotions.

39. Pitbull13

Pitbull13 Pitbull13

Completely agree!!! I think they go after a Green Bay scout personnally. But I do think Philbin is a long shot to be fired at the end of the season if Ireland is fired which I think he will be.

40. TuTTs243

TuTTs243 Member

Useless post