If Jason Allen develops as the CB opposite Will Allen...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MrEd, Oct 26, 2008.

1. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

Do we go NT in the first round? Or do we go FS to replace Hill?

2. cuban_refugee

cuban_refugee Football On My Mind 24 Hrs Per Day

Jason Allen is not proven yet. he may end up staying as a corner, but I really think the Dolphins need to find a shut-down corner in the 1st round of the draft.

Then, I would address WR and Safety positions. I really think you can find good values of WR and safety in the later rounds. But, great corners are hard to find.

3. SRM

SRM Scout Team

Free safety for sure, I think we have enough depth at NT to develop one of them into a decent player

4. UGAxFIN

UGAxFIN grrrrr

Well, its to early to talk about the draft next year, but I think we need to go WR in the first round, then secondary and d-line in the second, regardless of J-Allens play

5. SRM

SRM Scout Team

I'm starting to wonder if we really need a receiver first round .. really we're putting up 20-30 points a game, but our secondary hasn't been able to contain teams in the passing games

6. SR 7

SR 7 Banned Hammered

the other thign is also that penny has also been slowing down the WR. so if with henne they perform well we might not be as desperate for starting WR as we think. I think we need 1 starter opposite Ginn and a coupel for depth but thast about it.

miami WILL NOT go WR or CB round 1. We will go for either Cody if he manages to get into 1st round OR we will go LBer which is what i think will happen. Besides porter we have zero pass rushers and no speed in that core/playmakers. a MLB and a OLB will be achieved this year as new Backs for next year.

a guy likr curry, or orakpo or maluaga for this pass rush would be very nice. thats the way they go i bet.

7. miami234ever

miami234ever DenverCheesesteak

Since we have two 2nd round picks I would go with a FS/ILB in the first round, then a CB and FS/ILB in round two. But I really do believe Jason Allen will continue to do well. Nnamdi Asomugha 2.0!

8. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

I say get laverneous Coles down here with Penny and take one away from the rival in the process. Then draft the best player on the board minus QB/RB. Its as simple as that when it comes to the first round. Never draft according to position unless you know they can contribute bigtime right away and for a long time.

Ginn showed us today he has arrived or at least proven he can hang with the big boys. Penny just discovering him? I read somewhere that said he was wide open alot last week but missed.

9. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

Today it was Goodman who played a great game. JA was a nickle package CB. I think this D could be real good if we just stay with alot of these nickle packages. I notice we play better defense that way even though a team may run on us at times.

10. Locke

Locke They looked like strong hands.

Ravens game is a great example of why we need to go WR still. Run was completely shut down, and it was up to the passing game to make it happen. They simply weren't getting open. Even if Ginn ends up developing into a legit #1, we would still need another good WR opposite him. As it stands, Camarillo would be best suited in the slot, in a Wes Welker type role......

11. fakespike

fakespike Starter

i'd take laverneus coles in a heartbeat opposite ginn with london developing as the slot/jumper. we need to go allout defense and build a monster:

1. NT or S (whichever is the better value. hoping thats NT. we need a TIMBO 2.0. this pick needs to start from day 1)
    2a. S or NT
    2b. ILB/CB (again, target value over position)
    3. CB/ILB

not to mention the picks we get for trading Joey Porter at his peak :):
    1b. bpa
    3b. bpa

just kidding.

12. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

I wasn't aware that we were already planning on getting a first round receiver. Its obvious that we need talent there but a lot of mid-level guys can be found in free agency. Its much easier to mask a weakness at receiver (which is what we have done) than to have a hole in the secondary that can be exploited.

And, for the record, Ginn is what we got the last time at receiver in the first round. I realize that Jason Allen is the last secondary player we got, but he has gotten yanked around so much that its hard to know what he's got. We aren't going anywhere until we get some playmakers in the pass game on our defense.

13. SR 7

SR 7 Banned Hammered

clearly you havent watched the game or anything post game vs teh ravens. Ginn adn Camarillio were open SEVERAL times vs the ravens but Penny nevre threw it to them. why u think all that drama (minor drama) went down with penny's decisions in that game. this game he forced himself to throw it and we got 314 or so yards passing. its not all teh WR fault bro. stop blaiming thigns u dont know about.

14. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

3-4 NT are hard to find. Go with the widebody.

15. Huscroft6

Huscroft6 Starter

Dont see Allen the answer either. Wasted Saban pick, well wasted 1ST RD'er. He may become a decent nickel corner but not starter. I think a corner/S has to be top priority in FA/Draft. Allen not the answer as a starting CB IMO.

16. phinphan4life

phinphan4life Monkey Milk Finheaven VIP Donator

Definitely. If there's a monster nose tackle available then we should snap him up immediately.

17. FinHopeful

FinHopeful Starter

Jason Allen consistently leads the team in tackles when he receives significant playing time. He did it again today. When the Phins lose the secondary misses numerous tackles. J. Allen needs to continue to get playing time. He is not great, but he is a solid tackler. We need that!

18. Locke

Maybe you should show atleast a slight grasp on english grammar and punctuation before attempting to talk down to someone, don't you think?

Fact is our passing attack has been pretty limited up until today. How much of those pass yards came from WRs and how much from the backs and TEs? Today Ginn had a good game, but where was he, and all the other receivers, up until now. Its foolish to look at one game and think that our need at WR is gone now. WR is still very much a need for this team......

19. steveo style

steveo style Scout Team Donator

How many years does Ferguson have on his contract? You guys assuming he won't play the next couple of years and we need a starting NT from the draft ASAP, or want someone to develop?

20. Psychosikes

Psychosikes Ninja

A little early for conjecture?
    Ah, what the hell, right now if I could make a hypothetical (yet still feasible) pick from the college ranks I would subscribe to the earthmover theory... and that would point to terrance cody. If he gets/stays healthy and decides to enter the draft (doubtful at this point)... whew, and if he falls to us... we have to take him. It is truly rare to find someone that size who is that good of an athlete (and plays intelligently to boot!).

21. DolphinFanMan

DolphinFanMan Rookie

I say the Dolphins go safety. As I am relocated in Missouri to to go college here at MU, the Tigers have a great safety in William Moore who has top 10 talent. I'd love to see Miami snag him in the first.

22. sadetripod

sadetripod Scout Team

Depends on who's available at draft time, but I'd say we stick with the Parcell's rebuilding plan of drafting inside out. So probably an NT and a couple LB's early. But it's to early to be projecting the 32nd pick in the draft.

23. Elliott 1

Elliott 1 Banned Hammered

Answer: No nad no. We sign Albert Haynesworth in free agency and the Dolphin pass rush becomes unmanageable for opposing offenses.

Then we draft Vontae(the Hall of Famer)Davis in the 1st round and Chip Vaughn in the third and we sign Will Allen to a contract extension and re-sign Hill as well if he comes cheap and our secondary is good and deep.

Vaughn
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=33828&draftyear=2009&genpos=SS

24. al711

al711 Well-Known Member

:woot:I like the way you think!!

25. Locke

Albert Haynesworth will not hit the open market. He will be tagged, or signed to a long-term deal......

26. timbowens95

timbowens95 Clogging up the Middle!

I might be one of the few that thought Jason Allen didn't amaze me today. He got beat quite a few times and a few of the incompletions his way were bad throws.

27. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan Perennial All-Pro

I think we should go WR or CB

28. SamIam

SamIam Starter

Haynesworth can't be tagged.. that was part of the agreement he signed with the tenn... he will be UFA

29. SamIam

SamIam Starter

with our first pick I think we should be OLB/ILB like Orkpo/selvie/ray...or WR like crabtree

30. Dfootball11

Dfootball11 Starter

i say first we play denver.. then we finish the season.. then we will talk draft

31. SR 7

SR 7 Banned Hammered

Not really because it has nothing to do with English Grammar, its called TYPO's and I wasnt talking down to anyone. Maybe you should take it easy on the stupid things such as that before you stress yourself out.

No one said its gone. NO ONE said that. And like i said before and many times, go watch film from ARZ game and BALT game many times WR wer eopen but Penny never attempted the throw due to his arm strenght. Why did henne magically connect with WR when he came in? And dont give me any "they were in prevent" type of stuff. If you watch the film you will see on the first pass to Camarilio had his arm strenght not been what it was it would have been a PICK possibly PICK 6. He snuck it in there within a split second.

You shouldnt have taken the original post hte wrong way I didnt mean to sound like a ****.

32. Locke

No joke? I had no idea about that. Do you have a link or anything to confirm it......?

33. SamIam

SamIam Starter

There you go - per rotoworld:

"Haynesworth signed a one-year franchise tender , with provisions that would prevent the Titans from using the tag again next year. Those provisions that will earn him the desired status for next season include (1) if he qualifies for the Pro Bowl, (2) if he participates in 60 percent of the snaps on defense, (3) if he participates in 53 percent of the snaps and the team wins 10 games or more, and (4) if he participates in 53 percent of the snaps and the Titans finish in the league’s top five in total defense. Those seem to be very reasonable goals for Haynesworth this season, and thus we expect he will be an urestricted free agent next season"

you tell me if he wont meet any of the above provisions.

This is one cat I would love to have but the entire league will be after him

34. SR 7

SR 7 Banned Hammered

and it appears he has his head on his shoulders b/c he said when that "stepping on teh guy thing happened" he didnt want to leave the NFL with his kids knowing he was the guy that did that. If so, bring the monster to MIAMI!

35. Locke

Damn. He is going to easily reach it by participating in 60% of the snaps. Thanks for the link.

He would command an absolute monster of a contract. The problem with that is I don't see Parcells giving it. Even if he was willing, Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder would end up offering 15M more than the next team when they get eliminated from the playoffs......

36. SamIam

SamIam Starter

we can have Randy Starks talk him in to it ... maybe that was the plan all along :D

37. fakespike

fakespike Starter

if we could secure Haynesworth via Free Agency, it could be the one piece that absolutely propels the D into Dominance. it would also allow us to target a high pick on offense since Haynesworth will make our LB's better, as well as our whole secondary by being a beast requiring double/triple teams.

NT is a huge position of need for us with fergie being a thousand years old and solai being such a question mark. Haynesworth would be the anchor of a D that could crush.

he'd make for such an immediate improvement on D that i would consider using our #1 on offense (crabtree) and using 2a +2b on LB and Safety.

i'll end my rant and say that signing Haynesworth would give us an opportunity to become a dominant defensive team.

DE: langford
    NT: Haynesworth
    DE: merling

ROLB: porter
    ILB: crowder
    ILB: ayodele/ '09 2nd rounder
    LOLB: roth

CB: w.allen
    CB: '09 1st rounder
    SS: bell
    FS: '09 2nd rounder
    NB: j.allen, goodman

and some promising depth with players like starks, moses, solai. possible return of veterans in holliday and fergeson.

when tuna got fergie i remember hearing it was basically a 1-yr stopgap to Haynesworth anyway.

the more i think about it, the more we have to do it

38. CJGoCanes

CJGoCanes Starter

If that's the same #9 I saw at the Wake-Miami game on Saturday, the one who got juked out of his shoes for a Robert Marve 43-yard run and then got trucked by him on another play, I dunno about that. Check out some animated gif's of what I'm talking about:
    http://www.miami-hurricanes.com/forum/tm.asp?m=497626&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

39. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

Jason Allen, Will Allen(the Allen Bros) can man the starting cOrner spots for years to come. Goodman seems to be developing as a legit CB meaning it would serve us good to bring him back to man a NB spot.

40. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

That would be awesome, but I don't see it happening. Some DTs don't like playing in a 3-4 because it doesn't let them stat-whore. This is the same thing with MLBs (I believe Ray Lewis said something to this effect). That having been said, I would be ecstatic if we got Haynesworth to play NT.