If popularity was a deciding factor, Jarvis Landry would already have a new contract | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If popularity was a deciding factor, Jarvis Landry would already have a new contract

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
landry

Jarvis Landry has long been and even now remains the Dolphins’ most popular player.
Crowd reaction shows it.
Twitter chatter reinforces it.
His three Pro Bowl appearances amplify it.
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article197238019.html

Ajayi had to many cold games. Jarvis is the real deal. Feel bad for Ross after T Bum laughs he got rid of our best player.

We are forced to let him test the market. Now, we have to wait and see who will pay how much for Jarvis Landry. We will pay him fair market value, I'm convinced of that, but, we won't get into crazy numbers. This will play out similar to O.V., the Giant's paid big money and we moved on. We will likely lose Landry to a team that gives him an obscene contract, we won't match imo.

There little use in saying this but Landry should have been signed to a great contract for both sides a year or two ago. He has outplayed his contract and we all know it and I think the team should get him in a room and get him done but now Landry's agent smells huge money and he's not wrong. I hate drafting a guy, groom him in your system, he becomes a big part of the team and then he's gone. It's too hard to hit on draft picks to keep losing them because of a mismanaged Front Office. This is a microcosm of why this team is below average and NOT really ascending.

Is this franchise and this puny, pathetic offense prepared to lose their most explosive player?

Mods can you make a sticky for all these Jarvis threads until something worthwhile comes out.

Neither side is going to change the opinion of one person on the other side. These threads may be good for emotional release, but nothing else. Just like the Tannehill threads

A team should never ever over pay a player because he may be a crowd favorite.
It's not as black and white as that, slightly overpaying for a fan favorite player if he is good and especially when you know fans are more apt to come out to the stadium to see him is not necessarily a bad thing, however, when a player contract demands are deemed over inflated that's another thing.

Mods can you make a sticky for all these Jarvis threads until something worthwhile comes out.
With the off-season being slow news we usually let it go. But if it gets too crazy we will take action.

He has outplayed his contract and we all know it...

Landry's stats over 4 years are pretty telling; they tell me that Miami throws the ball to him WAY too many times when they should be running more and throwing down the field for chunk yardage. Everyone keeps saying how he's so great, and that he's their best offensive player. I see Landry as an anchor weighing down the offense. They keep throwing short passes to him because one, Philbin and Gase both prefer a short pass based offense, and two, they can't/won't build a tough physical o-line so the QB is usually under pressure and has to dump off the ball to Landry (which is pretty much what Gase wants). In 2016, Tannehill started moving around more (both by design and due to pressure) and going deep with the ball. This helped to open up the running game for Ajayi, and the result was 10 wins and a playoff berth. What happened this year? Take away Tannehill and the deep threat and the offense went in the toilet. Landry still got his stats though, so logic tells me that Landry and his stats have nothing to do with winning games or making the playoffs.

I say let him leave. Get a seam-threat TE not named J. Thomas and give Carroo more playing time. Chances are no one will miss Landry.

Landry's stats over 4 years are pretty telling; they tell me that Miami throws the ball to him WAY too many times when they should be running more and throwing down the field for chunk yardage. Everyone keeps saying how he's so great, and that he's their best offensive player. I see Landry as an anchor weighing down the offense. They keep throwing short passes to him because one, Philbin and Gase both prefer a short pass based offense, and two, they can't/won't build a tough physical o-line so the QB is usually under pressure and has to dump off the ball to Landry (which is pretty much what Gase wants). In 2016, Tannehill started moving around more (both by design and due to pressure) and going deep with the ball. This helped to open up the running game for Ajayi, and the result was 10 wins and a playoff berth. What happened this year? Take away Tannehill and the deep threat and the offense went in the toilet. Landry still got his stats though, so logic tells me that Landry and his stats have nothing to do with winning games or making the playoffs.

I say let him leave. Get a seam-threat TE not named J. Thomas and give Carroo more playing time. Chances are no one will miss Landry.
I agree with almost everything here. The lack of tight end in this offense has gotten Landry a ton of touches. We get a productive tight end and we open up this offense a ton, with our without Landry. I have never been a huge fan of Jarvis because I think we just force it to him way to much. I think it makes the defense play close to the line of scrimmage and really hinders our ability to spread the ball around.

I don't think Landry will stop producing just because he gets more talent around him, and I think we'll see this next year when he goes to another team. He'll be an important piece in any offense. The only question is whether or not that production is really worth the huge payday he's probably going to get... which will probably be a different answer for a team that actually has salary cap room, and a team like the Dolphins who have thrown away all their salary cap on bums.

In order to live up to his asking price, Landry will need to maintain his 2016 productions with his 2017 TDs total IMO... And tone down the occasionnal childish behavior.

Back
Top Bottom