If Ryan Tannehill plays like this next season, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolphans1, Nov 16, 2012.

Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
  1. dolphans1

dolphans1 A True Fan

Ryan Tannehill is 0-5 when throwing 1 or more picks.

My concern is his lack of touchdowns and the inability to score points when we need to.

My question is this, come next season, if he continues to play like this (more INT's than TD's) would you continue to play him 2 more years. (total of 4 years?)

Should we at this point play Moore or Devlin to see if they have anything else to offer and possibly save the season or do we tank it and position ourselves for the upcoming draft?

d-1

2. PATSSUCK

PATSSUCK A True Fan

I see who is out there in the draft. However, this offseason I dedicated the draft and offseason to getting talent on the offense so we see if he has it.

3. zach8111

zach8111 Pro Bowler

his lack of TDs is mainly due to lack of receivers and playmakers. We have to give him some more talent around him

4. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

That is the question...how much patience does the fan base have? It is going to be a process for RT to become a good NFL QB. He is not Andrew Luck or RGIII.

5. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Tannehill gets the entire 2012 season as a learning and growth year, and he automatically enters the 2013 season as the starter. No question about it. You spend the entire offseason building the team around him and acquiring talent for him to use. If he completely bombs in 2013 then you can start talking about alternatives, but talking about it now is useless. He is a rookie going through growing pains, and what you see in November 2012 is likely not going to be the same quarterback in November 2013. It is pointless at this moment to talk about other quarterback options because the book on Tannehill just opened. Let's at least finish the first chapter before deciding if the entire book is going to be bad or start reading another one.

There is absolutley no benefit in playing Matt Moore or Pat Devlin. Moore likely will be with another team in 2013 and really the best hope for Devlin is to become a solid #2. Tannehill is the guy and you keep letting him develop. I am really not liking this "Tannehill sucks" and "Start another QB" talk. Very short sighted.

6. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

First of all...go get him a Larry Fitzgerald after this season!!! :D

A guy can dream, can he? :idk:

7. BG12DM13CP10

BG12DM13CP10 Well-Known Member

If Devlin had been playing this year, we would be ahead of the Patriots right now guaranteed. But heck we're losers, we can't even play our best qb because we invested so much in Tannehill, and we're going to waste a couple more years.

8. JamesBW43

JamesBW43 You're standing on my neck Finheaven VIP

That's an extremely broad hypothetical. There are a lot of factors to consider. Would he be healthy? Would the o-line be blocking reasonably well? Are his receivers getting open? Are they catching the ball? Are opposing defenses unafraid of our running game? Is he making up for his mistakes with great plays?

9. traptses

traptses Starter

I truly hope that was a joke post

10. PJack

PJack A True Fan

Odd how two coaching staffs and the entire league that didn't draft him could not see what you see. I for one am shocked.

:rolleyes2:

11. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

I don't think so. BG12DM13CP10 has been clamoring for Devlin to start since they signed him as an undrafted free agent.

12. CalDolFan10x14

:lol: :lol: :lol:

13. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Would Andrew Luck and/or RGIII be the same if they were on this team?

14. PATSSUCK

PATSSUCK A True Fan

Almost threw up I laughed so hard.

15. BigSportShop

BigSportShop BigSportShop.com

No question: Tannehill remains starter all season and again to start 2013.

That being said, I am firmly in the belief that he is not a franchise QB. Franchise QBs make the players around them better, not the other way around. Franchise QBs throw TDs, don't throw picks and win games in the 4th quarter. RT17 has not shown us any of the above. Nothing would make me happier to be proven wrong on RT but this being the Dolphins, I'm certain that doesn't happen.

16. abNORMal

abNORMal A True Fan

You must think that Devlin plays for the Pats, right?

17. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

I can only assume this is sarcasm.

18. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 I can get you a toe Finheaven VIP Donator

If he has better offensive playmakers on his side and his growing as an NFL-QB stays slow, that might be an issue. It isn't 100% fair to judge him based on his lack of talent he has to work with. He isn't without blame of course but every QB is like that.

19. dolpns13

As he deserves.
    Get him a franchise WR and he will be a franchise QB. Name me ONE great QB who did not have a consistent number one WR. Youre joking youself if you think Brady, Manning, Marino, Montana, Young, ..... Would flourish with this group of recieving threats.

20. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

He gets the entire year next year before making a decision on his future. If he doesn't show potential to be a Top quarterback we have to look at other options. But my feeling is he won't disappoint, he's too talented and smart and this coaching staff is too good to ruin his development. We just need playmakers around him and we need to fix the left side of the offensive line.

21. BG12DM13CP10

You guys are all laughing, but your guy is stinking it up. Just wait and see, you will change your tune, you always do.

22. BigSportShop

BigSportShop BigSportShop.com

I didn't say Tannehill should be flourishing with the WRs he has now (and I agree they stink) but we're back to the same argument we went through with Henne - get him Marshall and everything will change.

Drew Brees is the only recent franchise QB I can think of that didn't show that 'spark' right away - I haven't seen any spark from Tannehill.

23. dolpns13

You are serious!?!? LOL. Devlin huh? Hahaha.

Its no point in getting into a debate with fans who know nothing about the players on this team. Yeah, Devlin really proves he deserved the starting role.

24. CalDolFan10x14

Ok then, what proof do you have Devlin does better this season? Give solid examples, not hypotheticals.

25. Zounds

Zounds A True Fan Donator

If Tannehill isnt progressing next season, then we draft a new QB. With the new CBA and rookie salary pool, its entirely possible to spend a high draft pick on a QB and not be in salary cap hell for 5 years.

26. SigmaOmega

SigmaOmega Starter

If he doesn't progress then I'll be waiting for the next level of excuses regarding the offensive coordinator. "Sherman is holding Tannehill back with these play calls." Sigh....

27. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

For those who think Tannehill needs some WR's, I agree he does but never mind those right now. First let Ireland draft o-linemen with our top 3 pics for the next 4 years and then we'll get some WR's in rounds 6 and 7 in the 2021 draft.

Ozzy rules!!

28. Christyman5

Christyman5 Active Member

Tannehill will get all next season regardless. I think bess and hartline are 2 good receivers but we need someone too demand attention from Dbs and who can give the offence a boost all over. No 1 receiver, harline and bess is solid 3 receivers.

if tannehill is terrible next year which hopefully isn't the case, as posted above, his rookie contract isn't huge and we draft another. Puts us back 3 yrs but with cba and the passing league we have its the way to go.

im hoping tannehill is just having growing pains and is learning and will become our long term answer

29. BG12DM13CP10

Just look at the preseason, and nevermind the "only playing against 3rd stringers" excuse, as Tannehill also played against 3rd stringer in preseason and didn't do anything. In 5 of the 8 drives that Devlin had in the preseason, he moved the ball the length of the field. Of all the drives Tannehill had in the preseason, we punted in almost all of them. Now in the regular season Tannehill has 1 TD in his last 30 drives. He cannot convert on 3rd down which a good quarterback has to do. He's not aware of winning the games, on third downs he throws short passes just to get completions that pick up 5 yards and bring up 4th down. 3rd down he takes off running and slides instead of trying to get the 1st down. You knew that once we were behind 7 or 10 points in the first quarter, we were done because he can't come back from behind or be depended upon in the clutch.

His tunovers and ineffectiveness cost us all the games we lost. I know there were other weak areas with the team in those games, but if he had played decent and didn't screw it up, we still win. Devlin rarely turns it over and consistently completes passes and moves the ball and wins games, just look at both of these quarterbacks college carreers.

I think even Philbin knows that Devlin gives us a better chance to win, but Philbin is not in control of that because of the investment and expectations this organization has in Tannehill.

30. CalDolFan10x14

I stopped reading after "just look at the preseason".

31. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

If Tannehill completely bombs next season, it is conceivable that Devlin takes his job. Philbin seems to have a thing for Devlin and I think with the right grooming he could turn into something. At the very least, Devlin will be our backup for a few years imo, and could be trade bait down the road if Tannehill becomes the Franchise QB we all hope he is.

32. N-E-O

N-E-O Well-Known Member

If he plays this bad for the remainder of this season and two more just like it he will be back there. If Chad Henne taught me anything it thats the QB for the Dolphins need not produce at ALL to keep the job locked up for years. It used to be a QB would be pulled in a GAME if he was struggling to make the plays...Now it takes seasons and many horrible losses to enact change. Thats why I really hope he snaps out of it....I can't take 3 more years of QB play like Chads.

33. joerobbie

joerobbie FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

are you a comedian?

34. phins_4_ever

phins_4_ever E22 FH Tailgate Gang Moderator Finheaven VIP

I can tell you from my perspective. I would have more patience if he would be 'just' a #8 pick. But this offseason crap Tannehill pulled shortened the leach of patience.

35. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 TANNERECTION!!!! Donator

Bob Griffin has hit the rookie wall as well, and if you look at Luck, he had one huge game against a weak *** secondary. Keep it in perspective. Luck is an anomaly. He will have a huge career but I have my doubts he would have a 6-3 record as the Dolphins QB this year. We need Tannehill to move the ball and score TDs not set records.

36. phinfan1983

phinfan1983 Well-Known Member

First we need the OL to allow Tannehill to have time to complete the passing plays. He's getting pressured and hit way too many times, causing him to get rid of the ball too early.

We also need the following:
    1. 2 good Guards
    2. WRs with speed, size, and run good routes
    3. Another Pass Rusher
    4. Speed LBs
    5. Backup to Daniel Thomas
    6. I would say TE - but Egnew will play next year

Give us that and continued development of the secondary we can be hard to beat. If we give Tannehill weapons the defense doesn't have to play so close to the vest - they can take chances the turn games around.

37. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

When you have Bess running deep routes you know you are in trouble at wide receiver. Teams know that all they have to do is take away the run and Tannehill doesn't have enough options to beat them. Tight ends? Where's the playmaker there? Hartline is nice, but he needs help. So until there are more weapons for Tannehill how can we really grade him? We have seen glimpses of what he might become. At this point, Tannehill has less talent than the other top rookie quarterbacks Griffin and Luck. If he plays this way with talent around him then we obviously don't have the right qb.

38. Strangeworld

Strangeworld A True Fan

The Excuse Making here for Tannahill is ratcheting up with every shoddy performance.... I suspect people will start changing their tune if we get rolled in the next three games... At this point my confidence in him is spiraling; his abject lack of "clutch" is all on him and not something that can typically be taught.

39. PATSSUCK

PATSSUCK A True Fan

Lets be honest you were never behind. To give up an a rookie after a few bad game is beyond moronic.

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

What crap did he pull?

40. PATSSUCK

PATSSUCK A True Fan

Thanks for saving me the time of writing the exact same sentence.

41. FinHopeful

FinHopeful Starter

I will agree that 50% of the problem is a lack of talent, but mainly is too strong of a comment. He has not been playing well since he was injured.

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Good list!

42. Mike8272

Mike8272 Active Member

I think the team needs to give him time to develop. The issue we have right now is that our best receiver is Brian Hartline, and every time I say that I have to stop myself from laughing because he isn't good enough to be a team's main receiver in this league. At best he is a number 2 or 3 receiver. Don't get me wrong he's a decent enough player, but what this team needs to do is surround Tannehill with top talent. They need to go out there and do what the Buccaneers have done with Freeman, they signed Vincent Jackson to their roster and he's been an excellent asset for Freeman and has helped him take a huge step forwards in his career. We need to get at least one proven receiver, if not two proven receivers in order to make Tannehill's job a whole lot easier. If we don't get that type of talent then Tannehill is going to continue to struggle like Blaine Gabbert is at Jacksonville because the lad doesn't have the talent around him to do much better than he already is.

But to go back to your original question of how long do we stick with Tannehill, then I guess what it comes down to is exactly how well or bad Tannehill performs. Now if Tannehill was to show signs of continued improvement (i.e. Gabbert has gone from a 65 QB rating to a 76 QB rating this season; Ponder has gone from 70 to an 85 QB rating; and Andy Dalton has gone from an 80 rating to a 91 rating), then he will be our long term franchise quarterback without a doubt, even if he is only improving slowly like Gabbert the fact is that Gabbert and Tannehill have a lot of potential to develop into excellent NFL QBs if they are nurtured in the correct manner and are surrounded by talent. However, if Tannehill was to fall away this season, or show no signs of improvement next season, or even show limited signs of improvement (i.e. like Gabbert), then the Dolphins may ditch Tannehill if they are in a position to draft another top prospect. One only needs to look at what the Panthers did after Clausen's first season, because they went out the next season and drafted Cam Newton with the number 1 pick. So if Tannehill was to blow out in a similar manner, then I think this franchise could, and perhaps would ditch him after two seasons if they were in a position to sign someone better.

I mean the new CBA has significantly reduced top rookie QB contracts. JaMarcus Russell was signed to a $68 million deal with $31 million guaranteed; and Sam Bradford was signed to a $78 million deal, with $50 million guaranteed, and if he hit all his bonus targets would be worth a maximum of $86 million. Now compare those deals to what Andrew Luck netted with his rookie contract - $22 million. Cam Newton's deal was $22 million of which all was guaranteed money. And Tannehill's deal is only worth $12.6 million, so it is plausible that the Dolphins could cut Tannehill, or perhaps even bench him if he didn't work out as our starter. It all depends on exactly how much development he shows, and also, how committed this organisation is to developing Ryan Tannehill. At the end of the day the NFL is about winning and putting yourself in the best position to win. If that means that the Dolphins decide to ditch Ryan Tannehill, then so be it. But I do I think we will stick with Tannehill and won't do a Panthers because the 2013 and 2014 draft does not feature someone like Cam Newton, Andrew Luck or RGIII. However, his position could come under threat if Joe Flacco (FA in 2013) or Matt Ryan (FA in 2014) became available, which their respective teams would be stupid to allow, then one of those two could instantly displace Tannehill if this team managed to land a top free agent for once - but that scenario is highly unlikely.

So I think Tannehill will stay our QB as long as he shows progression, and what will happen is this team will build around Tannehill by drafting top talent and signing decent free agents to come in.

43. finjim

finjim A True Fan

[​IMG]

44. jason_taylor

jason_taylor Pro Bowler

My concern is his lack of touchdowns and the inability to score points when we need to.d-1[/QUOTE]

well bro there wouldnt be any concerns if Tanny had WRs to throw to instead of a bunch of slot receivers.

My question is this, come next season, if he continues to play like this (more INT's than TD's) would you continue to play him 2 more years. (total of 4 years?)d-1[/QUOTE]

imo when and if we get him some WR help Tanny will be good to go and if we would have signed T.O. / OR Plax. we wouldnt be having this conversation.

Should we at this point play Moore or Devlin to see if they have anything else to offer and possibly save the season or do we tank it and position ourselves for the upcoming draft? d-1[/QUOTE]

i promise you , with the WRs we have right now it would only be worse to bring in Devlin. Moore on the other hand would prob play just as bad ,WITHOUT ANY WR HELP.