If the draft were to start today... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If the draft were to start today...

finomenal

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Sadly, this is how far the Dolphins have fallen. I remember tracking lists like this when I was a kid, because it was always a foregone conclusion that the Dolphins were going to the playoffs. It was just a matter of what seeding they were going to get. "Can they get one of the top 2 seeds?" used to be what the debate was.

I've gotten used to asking, "where would they draft if the draft started today?" so here's where we stand as of today, tied at #3 with the Jets, Chargers, and 49ers. I'll do an update weekly. How many big time prospects are available at QB next year? I heard of one, but I forgot his name.

***Updated for week 9. The Dolphins currently hold the 15th position. NFL.com has a better guide for tracking:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000715300/article/2017-nfl-draft-order-and-needs-nos-1120

This is the first-round order of the 2017 NFL Draft, with an early look at the top positional needs for every team, heading into Week 8. The draft order is determined by record, and using strength of schedule as a tiebreaker (record and strength of schedule are official tiebreakers to determine the draft order).

11. Tennessee Titans
2016 record: 4-5 (.468)
Top needs: CB, WR, TE
Analysis: The secondary has to be addressed early for the Titans with the WR talent inside the division. Tajae Sharpe was a nice find, but the Titans could still use a true WR1. The Titans TEs are getting older and a new infusion of talent is warranted.

12. Indianapolis Colts
2016 record: 4-5 (.500)
Top needs: LB, OL, RB
Analysis: The Colts are getting old on the defensive side of the ball and could use a young, splashy playmaker at outside or inside linebacker. Protecting Luck is essential and the offensive line isn't doing that well enough. Finding another quality RB shouldn't be difficult.

13. Buffalo Bills
2016 record: 4-5 (.521)
Top needs: OT, DE, DB
Analysis: The Bills will likely be looking for a bookend right tackle after the season. Finding a defensive lineman who can win at the point of attack as well as rush the passer should be a priority. The Bills need more talent at cornerback and safety.

14. San Diego Chargers
2016 record: 4-5 (.577)
Top needs: OT, WR, QB
Analysis: The Chargers have serviceable tackles, but they've been going with "serviceable" for too long. It's time to commit. With another injury to Keenan Allen, San Diego could look to add another option at the position. Philip Rivers is locked in but the team is badly in need of an upgrade behind him on the depth chart.

15. Miami Dolphins
2016 record: 4-4 (.456)
Top needs: G, DE, TE
Analysis: Will Mario Williams and Brandon Albert be back next year? If Albert and Williams become cap casualties, Laremy Tunsil will move to LT, which opens up a guard spot, and defensive end will be in play via the draft. Tight end is a likely target.

16. Cleveland Browns (from Philadelphia Eagles)
2016 record: 0-9 (.554)
Top needs: QB, CB, S
Analysis: Cleveland traded the No. 2 pick in the 2016 draft to the Eagles, who spent the selection on Carson Wentz. So, the Browns are still looking for "that guy" at QB. Finding a quality complement to Joe Haden should be on the to-do list, and the safety spot could be addressed later in the draft.

17. Green Bay Packers
2016 record: 4-4 (.537)
Top needs: G, TE, RB
Analysis: The Packers cut OG Josh Sitton before the season, and should be looking to the draft for a long-term answer at this spot. Green Bay understands the importance of finding a top-notch tight end, while adding depth (and competition) at RB will be important.

18. Pittsburgh Steelers
2016 record: 4-4 (.554)
Top needs: LB, OL, QB
Analysis: With Lawrence Timmons and Jarvis Jones in the final year of their deals, the outside and inside LB spots might need to be addressed. The Steelers could use a young swing tackle and guard prospect to groom. With Ben Roethlisberger missing time once again, it's time to find a young QB to groom.

19. New Orleans Saints
2016 record: 4-4 (.560)
Top needs: DE, CB, LB
Analysis: The Saints have to eventually find Drew Brees' replacement, but for now, addressing the defense is the priority. Finding an edge rusher is essential, as is help in the secondary. Adding depth/talent at linebacker could be in play here, too.

20. Detroit Lions
2016 record: 5-4 (.480)
Top needs: DT, CB, RB
Analysis: The offensive line might make its way onto this list, but we will give it time. The defensive line, however, needs a penetrator at defensive tackle and the Lions might have to draft one. Finding a true top-dog running back and a potential starter at cornerback are both needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is how it shakes out, obviously it's early, but you'd have to take Myles Garrett in rnd one.

And most likely grab a qb like my boy Bad Chad Kelly in the 2nd rnd. Maybe Webb, I'm warming up to him. He can really sling it, but he looks like another stiff. I'd be really scared to see him under heavy pressure.

Yeah but if it shakes out like that, you'd strongly suspect the Bears would go for Myles Garrett one pick ahead of us.

That lineup does set up interestingly with respect to Deshaun Watson, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Watson and Garrett go 1-2, then who does Miami choose from assuming they end up picking third?

Obviously, the team has a ton of needs and the draft is shaping up to be a good one for edge rushers. That's a need. Peppers is interesting, but not sure as high as #3. Fournette would be that elite back that the team desperately needs, but again three might be a little high. Foster from Alabama could be the enforcer at linebacker that Miami has lacked for what seems like a decade.

Maybe a trade down?

Yeah but if it shakes out like that, you'd strongly suspect the Bears would go for Myles Garrett one pick ahead of us.

That lineup does set up interestingly with respect to Deshaun Watson, though.

I can't see the bears passing a qb. If for no other reason coaches know that if they draft a qb high, and that qb shows he may be good, it almost guarantees those coaches and management there jobs for a few more years.

Also, I cant see that franchise believing the fans will accept them passing a qb.

Maybe if fox gets fired they can pass on a qb I guess.

BPA PERIOD. That will be either a defensive player or Fournette. Those who are opposed to Fournette have to understand the trickle down effect. He is an imposing running back that defenses have to gameplan for and that will take the burden off of RT. He will also help keep the offense on the field, which will help the defense. My preference would be Garrett, but he will probably be picked a few spots before the Phins pick (as usual).
I'm assuming the Phins will be picking 2-5. I don't think any of these draft eligible QBs are polished enough to be considered with a top 5 pick. Just my opinion. Now if Gates has a conviction on one of these QBs that they can be special (Like Philly felt about Wentz) than I will be on board with it.

I'd think we go Kizer or Watson. Whoever drops to 3

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

If this is how it shakes out, obviously it's early, but you'd have to take Myles Garrett in rnd one.

And most likely grab a qb like my boy Bad Chad Kelly in the 2nd rnd. Maybe Webb, I'm warming up to him. He can really sling it, but he looks like another stiff. I'd be really scared to see him under heavy pressure.

I could be wrong and Slimm can correct me but I think Slimm said Webb is great at dealing with pressure. Personally I haven't seen enough of Webb to make an informed opinion on him

BPA PERIOD. That will be either a defensive player or Fournette. Those who are opposed to Fournette have to understand the trickle down effect. He is an imposing running back that defenses have to gameplan for and that will take the burden off of RT. He will also help keep the offense on the field, which will help the defense. My preference would be Garrett, but he will probably be picked a few spots before the Phins pick (as usual).
I'm assuming the Phins will be picking 2-5. I don't think any of these draft eligible QBs are polished enough to be considered with a top 5 pick. Just my opinion. Now if Gates has a conviction on one of these QBs that they can be special (Like Philly felt about Wentz) than I will be on board with it.

I agree with your assessment on Fournette. Actually, of all the prospects out there he'd probably have the biggest initial impact year one.

I do favor finding a defensive stud early if one is there when Miami picks, but Fournette has the type of talent to help turn the offense around. Look at what Ricky Williams did for the Dolphins behind an offensive line that honestly wasn't very good. That's what an elite back can do.

Everyone is saying top 3 but i doubt it. We still have two games vs the bills and the jets plus we'll pick up some more bs wins to knock us out of top 5. Once the system is in place and players understand i think we finish 5-11/6-10 probably with the 6/7th pick

I'd think we go Kizer or Watson. Whoever drops to 3

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

I could be wrong and Slimm can correct me but I think Slimm said Webb is great at dealing with pressure. Personally I haven't seen enough of Webb to make an informed opinion on him

yeAh me either, I don't normally watch college football at this point in the season to watch NFL propects, usually I'm just watching to watch college football.

But were so incredibly bad, might as well get a head start.

I haven't watched a ton of Webb, but I'm looking forward to it.

I think Webb is pretty easy to break down, though a little less easy to figure what his future will hold.

1. Absurd throwing talent, power, accuracy and spin.
2. Is as aggressive with the football as you'd expect someone with that arm talent to be.
3. Better feet than you'd expect on a six and a half footer, but still a bit slower than a six footer.
4. Middling face fundamentals.
5. Nice guy. I have that from people that have spent weeks with him.
6. More to that end, he stayed at Tech even after being benched; graduated and became a de facto coach type.
7. Obviously, Air Raid. But he has a few more responsibilities than some Air Raid QBs.
8. Doesn't know how to use a pocket. His arm bails him out.

I loathe Florida State (so not a home-r pick), but I think Dalvin Cook fits the running back position in today's NFL better than Fournette -- though I do like both.

I love the idea of a Myles Garrett or Cook/Fournette this year and waiting to address QB next year with Jake Browning (whatever it takes to land him).

Back
Top Bottom