If there ever was a time this season where the run game was dominate, it's against NE | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If there ever was a time this season where the run game was dominate, it's against NE

AFCMiamiEast

Active Roster
Reaction score
Pats boast a DL that ranks 31st against the run. Will Sherman Take notice?

Knowing that New England is 31st in the league against the run, Sherman has to have Lamar and Thomas HEAVILY involved in his game plan in Foxboro this Sunday, if not, don't expect it to happen at all this season. If you want to give the defense a rest, and have Brady's ass on the bench, stop having a ridiculous 4:1 pass/run ratio and run the ball. There probably isn't a QB/WR duo in the league who could post elite numbers with this offensive line, why Sherman does not realize this, and continues to abandon the run (even after it proves beneficial and in working form), focusing almost 100% on passing the ball, is beyond me.

If there is anytime this season that our running game should be posting up big numbers, it's tomorrow in Foxboro. I expect Lamar to have a big game along with Thomas, and I want to see prolonged drives of smashmouth football with a frustrated Brady stuck on the bench. Our past offensive philosophy has resulted in a lot of quick 3 and outs, and a restless defense. This can be fixed if the running game produces, and there is no better time to get that going then against New England's 31st rated run defense tomorrow. It's common knowledge that a good running game sets up the play action, both sides of the offense will benefit off each other if operated well. Statistically, New England is the most vulnerable to the run as any else Miami will face this season, so pound it up the middle Sherman! (Vince Wilfork's absence is definitely beneficial to the ground game as well)

The three biggest keys to winning against this New England team:

1) PRESSURE Brady! Time and time again it has been proven to be successful. Is this the game Dion is finally really let loose?

2) Protect Tannehill. Hopefully McKinnie's learning curve of the offense does not haunt us on the field, and Martin translates well over to the right side of the offensive line.

3) Run the ball consistently, and EFFICIENTLY! I know this thread was primarily about running the ball, but there is no doubt that the first two bring more importance than a dominate run game. Having a big day on the ground would just be icing on the cake if the first two above played out to fruition, just an average day from the run game would suffice if we successfully pressure the hell out of Brady from both sides, and kept a clean pocket for Tannehill.

That being said, I do not see this game going into the high 20s as most have predicted. I think the winner of this game will be the squad that puts up 24, so let's hope that Sherman keeps the offense balanced, while at the same time keeping the defense honest, and we get to Brady...early, and often!

Last edited by a moderator:
What does that have to do with the offense running the ball?

Just measns ok we can run on them hopefully and they will be able to pass on us.
We havent proven we can run on any team with anu consistency.
Miller was 7 carries for 15 yards against a mid tier running defense

The best way to attack Brady is pressure up the middle. He doesn't like to roll out and if you get a few hits on him early, he gets "happy feet". However, this is easier said then done.

The best way to attack Brady is pressure up the middle. He doesn't like to roll out and if you get a few hits on him early, he gets "happy feet". However, this is easier said then done.

Having the best DE in a 4-3 scheme in the league on one side, and the NCAA's best pass rusher in 2012 on the other (hoping they finally unleash Jordan today, but I'm skeptical) certainly makes it easier. Oh, and the pro bowlers up front, Starks and Solia. When you have as good a pass rush as we do, it's obvious that blitzing and pressuring the QB is in the game plan.

Back
Top Bottom