If they knew tannehill would be this good

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CorduroyG, Nov 8, 2012.

1. CorduroyG

CorduroyG Rookie

And the team this competitive (4-4 with three 3 point losses), would they still make the marshall trade? I dont see how they could.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

2. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Yeahn

Philbin didn' want him.

3. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

Yes. It wasn't about talent. It was about team chemistry, it was about locker room chemistry, it was about Philbin establishing himself as leader and coach of the team without personalities trying to undermine what he was trying to do.

The real question you should ask is if Marshall had stayed would Tannehill still be this good? Marshall would have been telling Tannehill to get him the ball, the rest of the passing offense would have suffered and the way Marshall was throwing everyone under the bus you have to wonder if players would have bought into Philbin's philosophy as early as they did. You can even argue that Tannehill would have thrown more INTs since Marshall would free lance on his routes at times.

4. Phinatic8u

Please though, can we please stop talking about Marshall.

Move on.

5. DolphinDevil28

DolphinDevil28 I like boobs. Finheaven VIP Donator

Whoa, you better watch it. Some on this board have already decided after eight career games the kid isn't the answer and have given up on the season. Because, you know, we've had so many better QBs the last ten years.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

a vet wideout in the ear of a rookie asking for the ball every play could hinder the development of a young QB. I think part of the reason he and Miami have been successful is b/c they got rid of Marshall. I think the trade has worked out for both teams so far.

7. Thumper1016

Thumper1016 A True Fan

Enough about Brandon MEshall. He woud have been a headache here and would have hampered Tannehills growth.

8. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

If T-Hill was this good would the Dolphins been aggressive in upgrading the WR talent?

9. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

Some people just never let go. I'm glad he's gone regarless of what his stats are with Chicago....I'm glad Davis is gone too and Chad as well. Let Philbin do his thing and see what happens.

Ozzy rules!!

10. PALMA

PALMA A very famous spit

The guy is a wife-beating loser. Sure he puts up awesome stats on my fantasy team, but as a fan, I hated him more than any other Dolphin of the past 10 years.

I'm just disappointed with how Ireland handled the receiving talent after Marshall's departure. Ireland continues to overvalue and force the issue of his bad talent acquisition, i.e. Roberto Wallace, Julius Pruitt, Marlon Moore. These players were wasted resources and time that a better G.M. would have know immediately. Bess and Hartline are decent players, but could easily my upgraded, however Ireland is bound to rest on his laurels and entrench those guys as starters for years to come.

11. mbsinmisc

mbsinmisc Pro Bowler

I was gonna give my opinion but this post sums it up perfectly.

12. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Yup he wasnt sold due to his talent levels. He isnt the sort of player Philbin wants in his team.

13. Ed Norton

Ed Norton Scout Team

Wasn't it like a day or two after he got arrested that they made the trade? I think chances are that had to be a huge factor. Maybe they happened to be working on a deal before that and he just happened to get arrested who knows. The odds that the guy gets arrested the same week are pretty darn low but then again it's Marshall we are talking about, he gets arrested pretty often. Maybe the Bears were about to pay a boatload of picks for him and got a bargain by an unfortunately timed arrest.

14. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Exactly, there is a certain type of player they are looking for, and a type they want no part of. Marshall is the furthest from having the team 1st mentality they are looking for, so there was no way he would have worked out in Miami.

15. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

16. jfleag61

jfleag61 A True Fan

And the whole Marshall thing is why I don't want this FO to go out and pay big $$ for a "big name" WR in free agency. Just pick up guys in the draft, the kind that will not eff up the locker room.

17. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 TANNERECTION!!!! Donator

The trade was the right decision and it has benefited both teams. I am also one that would much rather find WRs in the draft instead of trying to find a quick fix in free agency. It seems more often then not free agent contributions don't equal their salary.

18. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

we would prob not be 4-4 this season more like 2-6 and he would be a major distractor for Ryan always calling him for the ball.BM is a player for sure but a ME player not good for a rookie QB and a rookie Coach.we would prob ingnore drafting a WR high in next years draft as well.

19. fsuhunter

fsuhunter Rookie

Red Herring. I have not seen many (or any) that I recall saying Tannehill is a bust. There are some however that point to flaws in his game and areas where they are concerned. For some reason though, pointing out any flaw, legitimate or not is very often met with ad hominem (that is personal) attacks. Kinda on the level of "what did you just say about my mamma".

Back on topic, yes, I think they would have traded Marshall. He was a selfish punk that while very talented, was not a good fit for what Philbin wanted to do with his young team .

20. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

Looks like both Marshall and Davis could see the playoffs with their new teams. Marshall has definitely contributed to the bears run. Why couldn't he catch the ball like that when he was here? I'm not sure how much Davis is helping the Colts. I don't miss either. Draft some young receivers next year. We have what we have for this this season.

21. Digital

Digital Starter

If anyone would have known Tannehill would be this good he would have been drafted #2 or #3 overall and definitely not available at #8. I'm fairly certain Washington doesn't give up a fortune to get RG3 even if they still trade up to #2 and take RG3. The Dolphins would have had to trade up and get Tannehill also.

As for Marshall, yes he would still have been traded. Philbin isn't looking to duplicate Tony Sparano's one year success. He is building a young team, and the only veterans he really wants are ones that are good role models and teachers for the young kids. Sure, he will always take talented players, but if they are a long-term bad influence that is seen as a very high price to pay ... so they need to go. Chad wasn't seen as a major bad influence because his antics were mostly unharmful to the team. Once he broke from Philbin's conduct role he was admonished and warned. The brush with the law was very uncharacteristic of Chad. If Philbin lets go of Chad after a first offense like that, I can't see any way he keeps Marshall. The only question was what can we get for him, because we weren't keeping Marshall. These moves firmly established Philbin's word as law amongst the veterans. It is the veterans that set the tone for the young players, so taking these steps to rip the bandage off have borne fruit in the form of a team that toes the line.

Going forward I expect the veteran mold to look more like Reggie Bush--working extra-hard and respecting the coaching staff's wishes. Guys who are 100% buying in and going the extra mile. Philbin wants to be competitive for 2 years and be a legitimate top team in year 3. That means challenging New England for the AFC East crown, consensus playoff pick, and a legitimate contender for the Super Bowl. That will not be on the back of veterans who are divas and flaunt their disrespect for the coaching staff. The veterans who carry us forward will be mentors, leaders, and very hard working players. The many young players we add in the Philbin era will be the backbone of that year 3 team.

Yes, Marshall had to go. Our team chemistry is better, our players play harder, and we are more successful despite all new coaching staff, a rookie QB, new play style, new blocking scheme, new defensive scheme, and one of the worst receiving corps in the league. People who sorely miss Marshall are pining after fools gold. He was never going to be great in Miami, and he was never going to be a building block of a successful Dolphin organization.

22. Strangeworld

Strangeworld Banned Hammered

Typical Dolphin homer responses on this thread... in no way are we better off having lost Vontate and Marshall.

Ireland picked both these players up with KNOWN character issues and then proceeds to trade them away for LESS than he paid because of the SAME known character issues.

Michael Egnew and (Insert Second Round Bust) will NOT be anywhere near the talent that walked out that door.

23. Phinatic8u

Strange, Vontae is the worst rated CB in the NFL this year, when he's actually there.

24. flip

flip Starter

Ahhhh , but Tannehill is not that good. I mean unless you like more int's then touchdown.

25. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP

I had no problem with the trade and still don't. I do have a problem with the fact that they clearly didn't have a plan to replace him this season.

26. Phinatic8u

:bobdole:

27. littlemarino

littlemarino Dan is the Man

:thanks:

28. Gonzo

The Davis trade frustrated me more than the Marshall trade. Not because of talent, etc., but because Ireland was given credit for the "savvy" move despite the fact that he used a 1st to draft him. He was a bust. At best it's a null move, if you think trading a 1st round pick for a 2nd round pick a couple of years later is a good deal.

29. Gonzo

[​IMG]

This cat has a better understanding of what he's seeing.

30. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Looks like the short bus made it in on time this morning :up:

31. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 TANNERECTION!!!! Donator

Davis is having an awful year. Of 19 targets he has given up 15 and opposing QBR on him is 102.

32. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

Its not so much trading marshall that bothers me...its not having a viable replacement....

33. SizzlingFins04

SizzlingFins04 The Futures of the NFL

double thumbs up

34. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

Some have already decided he is the answer after 8 games, 4 wins, and only 5 TD passes. He's looked good, but in the words of Bill Parcells "don't annoint him just yet" (said in reference to Tony Romo).

35. Gonzo

Luckily, Parcells didn't have anything to do with Tannehill.

36. WVDolphan

WVDolphan Banned Hammered

Win.

Ive said it 1000 times already. The last thing you want when trying to develope a young QB is some punk diva WR who is only concerned about himself trying to mess up the kids progress. Simple as that. Thats why it was a SMART MOVE to dump Marshall. Philbin knew it and it was the right thing to do even if Marshall catches 20 TDs for the Bears.

37. Gonzo

Diva douchebags need to be on teams with veteran QB's that don't put up with their bull**** (and/or are divas themselves...). That's why he's a good fit with Cutler. Cutler doesn't give two ****s about what Marshall wants because he's a diva himself. It's working out great for them right now, though I can't wait until they hit a slump and they start their usual Da Housewives of Chicago drama.