If we can't beat "elite" teams who can we beat?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by mrbunglez, Sep 24, 2011.

1. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Reading Is Fundamental Donator

I see people post excuses as to why we lost the 1st 2 games, saying things like " what'd you expect those 1st 2 teams are elite teams" or "playoff team". Sorry but if we can't beat teams like that what hope do we have as dolfans? If we're supposed to be a superbowl contending team we SHOULD be able to beat those considered "elite/playoff" teams. I really don't understand that excuse 1 bit. After watching the past 2 games and if we lose to the Browns (which i have a bad feeling will happen) tomorrow get ready for a long season...

2. TruePoizon

TruePoizon Well-Known Member

isnt it the other way around? If we cant beat poor teams, then we are screwed. But we just lost to two elite teams that many teams lose to...I wouldn't worry about it. I think it's the other way around, man..

3. mrbunglez

How so? If you dont expect to beat an "elite/playoff" how do you expect to win a superbowl?
    Or a playoff game for that matter.

4. SuperMarksBros.

SuperMarksBros. Formerly Fiedler for MVP

Houston isnt elite. They have yet to qualify for the playoffs in their existence, including 1 winning season and a 6-10 record last year. We lost a home game to a team we should've beaten. What an embarrassment.

5. mrbunglez

Thats what alot of people are saying "elite/playoff" team, and yes i agree they're not elite and we should've beaten them.

6. Lilseb93

Lilseb93 This Is My House

Houston isn't elite. If we had any coaching at all, we would have beaten them.

7. sphinky's bat kid

sphinky's bat kid Active Member

And both games were at home, did I mention this crew is 1-11 at home the last 12 games?.

8. Lord Of Miami

Lord Of Miami A True Fan

I think some of you are a lil off the mark with Houston.They have A better QB, they have one of if not the best WR's in the game and same go's for their running back.

Also we have never beaten them.So to think we would of this year is wack, same go's for people thinking we should of beat the Pats..............did you all sleep last year and make like they didn't beat us silly.I mean come on, odds are we were going to start the year 0-2.

Can we beat the Browns, sure.Will we.........who knows, but i wouldn't lay money down on it, and most of you wouldn't either.

9. Keonxl

Keonxl Well-Known Member

I am sick of this excuse as well. Here we are in the fourth year of this rebuilding thing and we should be able to beat those teams. I mean seriously, when do some of these people think we will be good enough? I guess in 10 years maybe Sparano and company might figure out how to beat the pats, or even the texans.

10. mialuv13

mialuv13 A True Fan

Easy, we don't expect us to win a Super Bowl. We just don't stack up against the best. We have the ability to hang with them before they blow us out of the water. There was a lot of talk before hand about where we would be after week 4. Most of us realistically saw the 'Phins at 0-2, and then maybe 1-1 in weeks 3 and 4. I just don't know where you came up with "supposed to be Super Bowl contenders" when the consensus was 6 to 9 wins this season. If you were talking in general then I see what you mean and we SHOULD be able to handle elite teams. This season as of week 2 we don't have what it takes to play with the best.

11. dolphone

dolphone In memoriam

Here's a hint: everyone loses to elite teams, even good, great, and other elites.

We competed throughly in those two games, and if a few breaks go our way, we win either game. If we had been rolled like KC or Indy I would get the criticism, but so far... I'm dissapointed, but not worried. Not a lot, anyway.

12. dolphone

dolphone In memoriam

"This crew" is also 6-1 on the road over the last 7 games.

Hand-picked arbitrary timeframed stats for the win!

13. TX-FinFan

TX-FinFan Seasoned Veteran

No it doesn't bother me. I don't consider the Dolphins elite or superbowl contenders this year.

I remember back in the late 90s we would beat the elite teams and then lose to the sorry teams. So it can go either way. Bottom line is every game must be treated equally no matter the opponent.

14. rainmaker1313

rainmaker1313 A True Fan Donator

if we had all the pieces in place and proved we can play with the best I would agree. the fact is we are not on the level of many good teams. That is why we should lose. I still have hopes we can win enough games and move into the higher echelon of teams with time, patience and gelling. If we can hold or play .500 and come November we step it up, we can still be a play-off team.

15. tylerdolphin

tylerdolphin More Smug than Birthday Dog Moderator Finheaven VIP

No. Just no. Exactly what "break" would have given us either game? We were never anywhere near the drivers seat for either. That was obvious.

16. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

Lost in all this hysteria is the fact that:

1) we are a young team still trying to put it all together.
    2) Offseason prep sucked cus of players union. ironic.
    3) rookies key factor in new offense will take time to get involved on reg. basis (clay, thomas, gates)
    4) Our defense, our supposed greatest asset, isnt any such thing.

17. dolphone

dolphone In memoriam

It's not even been a week from the Houston game, and you have already forgotten?

1. We're down 6-3, when Henne gets intercepted close to the GL after being hit while throwing, this hit possible because of lousy blocking by the OL. That hit led directly to Houston's only TD in the first half. Even if we don't score, that's a 6-3 game.
    2. Right after that, we drive to the goalline but Carpenter's figgie is blocked. Could've been a 13-6 game.
    3. After the blocked FG, we stop Houston and once again drive up the field, in part because of a pass interference on what could've been a TD play. Marshall could've score three plays later. And Carpenter missed the FG. 13-6 again, 13-10 possible.
    4. Now it's the second half, and after a couple of drives we score 7. Then we stop Houston. We're at midfield, but Daniel Thomas fumbles the ball. 16-13 if we make a field goal, with the way the offense was having success, could've ben 17-16 Miami.

There aren't pipe dreams, they're realistic breaks that went against us.