If we go with an OT in the 2nd round, who would be the best available fit for us? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If we go with an OT in the 2nd round, who would be the best available fit for us?

catch22

New Mexico Fin Fan
Reaction score
Lets just assume the front office decided to go with the best available OT in the second round (pick #42) . The FO could go this route because they may believe that it's too costly to trade up in the first round and they might not want to reach on the de facto 4th best available T D.J. Fluker with the 12th pick. Fluker will almost certanly be picked in the late 1st round and be off the board by our 2nd round pick.

With that assumption I have 2 questions

1)Which second round Tackle (Left or Right) do you guys think might fit our system best?

2)Do you think the best available OT in the second round would be able to start year one and be good enough to help keep Tannehill off his butt all year?

Here is a list of OT's that may still be available in RD 2.
1)Menelik Watson 6'5 ,310
2)Terron Armstead 6'5 306
3)Justin Pugh 6'5 307
4)Kyle Long 6'6 313
5)David Bakhtiari 6'4 299

i like terron armstead from arkansas-pine bluff if he's there. big and athletic, i think he would be a fantastic pick up for this team and would be a day 1 starter; probably at RT with martin at LT.

Available would be the key word here. Based on projected fit and productivity in our scheme, I'd say it would clearly be Justin Pugh at the top, but the odds are quite low that he'll be there at #42.

After that, I think there's a big dropoff. There are guys with lots of natural ability, but are combo's of needing polish and being a bit of a projection, like Terron Armstead and Kyle Long. Armstead is the riskier pick, but he's young and has the athletic ability that makes coaches salivate ... and gets coaches fired. Long is actually very athletic too, though not as eye-popping as Armstead, with great physical and mental tools, pedigree of production and preparedness, but he's over-age and you'll get fewer "good years" from him when he does adjust and polish his game.

I'm glad you included Bakhtiari, because he's flying well under the radar, but he can be a solid OT in the NFL. This kid might be able to play right away, albeit without the prototypical size/athleticism that teams ideally want thus limiting his upside. But, the NFL Pro Bowls throughout the years have been filled with guys just like Bakhtiari, who were not projected to be great linemen, but trampled over their low projections to become quite good in the NFL.

Of this group, the only one I really don't like is Menelik Watson. He could develop into a decent OL, but I see his bust potential as being very high, and I wouldn't touch him before the 5th round, and he'll be long gone by the end of the 2nd.

You could get a great developmental OT...that is not good enough to help you this season.

Available would be the key word here. Based on projected fit and productivity in our scheme, I'd say it would clearly be Justin Pugh at the top, but the odds are quite low that he'll be there at #42.

After that, I think there's a big dropoff. There are guys with lots of natural ability, but are combo's of needing polish and being a bit of a projection, like Terron Armstead and Kyle Long. Armstead is the riskier pick, but he's young and has the athletic ability that makes coaches salivate ... and gets coaches fired. Long is actually very athletic too, though not as eye-popping as Armstead, with great physical and mental tools, pedigree of production and preparedness, but he's over-age and you'll get fewer "good years" from him when he does adjust and polish his game.

I'm glad you included Bakhtiari, because he's flying well under the radar, but he can be a solid OT in the NFL. This kid might be able to play right away, albeit without the prototypical size/athleticism that teams ideally want thus limiting his upside. But, the NFL Pro Bowls throughout the years have been filled with guys just like Bakhtiari, who were not projected to be great linemen, but trampled over their low projections to become quite good in the NFL.

Of this group, the only one I really don't like is Menelik Watson. He could develop into a decent OL, but I see his bust potential as being very high, and I wouldn't touch him before the 5th round, and he'll be long gone by the end of the 2nd.

Also, worth mentioning IMO - Kyle Long is the son of HOFer Howie Long and brother of Ram's DE Chris Long.

You could get a great developmental OT...that is not good enough to help you this season.

I never understand this attitude, though. This is the NFL, you don't play year to year, you play for an expanded window. It's why you value youth and development over free agency signings of old veterans. A developmental OT who has a high ceiling would fit exactly what this regime is doing.

Their blueprint appears to be "1-2 years to work out the kinks, then hopefully 2-3 years of deep deep playoff runs with the chance of a superbowl"

Armstead is a great fit but he is very raw.

Back
Top Bottom