IF we miss the playoffs this season, would you consider this season a failure?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MartinTheSNAKE, Dec 11, 2013.

?

Is this season a bust if we miss the playoffs.

1. Yes. Its playoffs or bust for this year.

50.0%
  2. No. I am happy with the progress this team has made. Playoffs or not.

37.0%
  3. No. But if we miss the playoffs , there needs to be some changes. Coaches and/or GM needs to go.

13.0%
  1. MartinTheSNAKE

MartinTheSNAKE Seasoned Veteran Donator

Just curious what the consensus of the board feels. IMO i consider this season a success whether we make the playoffs or not. Assuming we at least go 8-8.

There has been a lot of positives to look forward to from this season. We have a lot of young talent who are coming into their own and have become solid players. We have a top 5-8 defense in the league, with an offense that is coming together and a QB who looks to have a very bright future. O-Line is coming together with a few changes and should be much improved going into next season.

We seem to have a pretty solid coaching staff. A GM who is a jerk, but pretty decent at his job, and an Owner willing to spend money.

We should easily have 2 more wins this season... We should have never have lost to Carolina or the Bills. You can also add the Ravens to that list along with the Patriots with help of the refs.

We have only had 1 really bad loss this whole season and that was against New Orleans in one of the hardest stadiums to be a visiting team in the league.

I am optimistic about this team moving forward and i cant wait to see how some more of our young guys develop and see how we improved through FA and the draft.

2. Ilovemyfins4eva

Ilovemyfins4eva A True Fan Donator

i would consider it a failure.

we started off 3-0. lost to teams that we r better than, such as the bills with thad lewis starting and the ravens who have not been able to do anything consistently on offense, both at home, lost to the winless bucs at the time, etc.

we started off 3-0 as well. we should have a strong grasp on the 6th seed at minimum , or vying for an afc east title with a chance at a 1st round bye.

the afc is pretty weak this year. we blew some great opportunities.

hopefully in the end we get into the postseason, but if we dont, yes id consider it a failure, considering this team has talent and the afc is not even so good this year.

3. hoops

hoops exited stage left

it would be a season of what could have been...but so much reason for optimism going forward with this qb leading the way...

would be great to play in a week where 3/4 of the league is gone fishing though...and give the qb some valuable playoff experience

4. psfign

psfign A True Fan

playoffs or not, 9-7 is my definition of a successful season for year two of this regime.

5. Bumpus

Bumpus Are you gonna drink that? Administrator Finheaven VIP

I think we're gonna be in the post season this year.

So ... Yep, success. :up:

6. gnome011

gnome011 Rookie

Absolutely! That was the expectation before the season started. We started 3-0. If we miss the playoffs it will be yet another failure.

7. Dolphins7273

Dolphins7273 Banned Hammered

Yes. That's the way it should be for every team.

8. phishxhead

phishxhead Ring Of Honor

Man we have a bunch of dopey fans. 50% are happy even if we miss the playoffs. Playoffs or not there need to be changes.

9. Dolphins7273

It's the suckiness that they fell in love with when they started following the team. It just wouldn't be the Dolphins if they made the playoffs.

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

It's the suckiness that they fell in love with when they started following the team. It just wouldn't be the Dolphins if they made the playoffs.

10. ronnieb_23

ronnieb_23 Rookie

Well my explanation is not up there so I would say this season would be a failure because we have blown large leads against NE/Carolina and lost to a 3rd string quarterback and a winless team. I am not really concerned with the Saints loss or Ravens loss and I understand this is a young team but even going 1-3 or 2-2 in those games would have made a HUGE difference. Buffalo and Tampa were games that they absolutely should have won. To me that makes it disappointing and a failure if we do not make the playoffs since the opportunity to do so was pretty easy given all the injuries the pats have endured and a majority of the afc looking average. With all that said, I am very happy with the direction this team is headed with the development of Tanney, Clay stepping up, Brent Grimes and the defense looking good.

11. psfign

psfign A True Fan

please explain, your highness.

12. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

Depends on how we miss out. If we win out and still don't make it, the season wouldn't be a failure for me. If we.lose out then yes, the season is a failure.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

13. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

In my book any season you don't make the playoffs is a failure. We had a great chance to be 9 and 4 at this point(how do you lose to the bills at home with 2 weeks to get ready and to tampa with 10 days?) To the people that say there's reason to be optimistic, I see us blowing games we "should" have won and we've been doing that for years. Untill we start winning those games in a consisten basis we're still the same old Dolphins. We have to make the playoffs.

Ozzy rules!!

14. phishxhead

phishxhead Ring Of Honor

Because we are 6 years into a rebuild and will have missed the playoff for the last 5 of them. Our last draft was awful, our last FA class was awful. Being OK with that is dopey. Apparently a lot of you are.

15. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Smoking Hole at the Hard Rock Moderator Finheaven VIP

I said it at the beginning of the year, no playoffs would be a failure. There is nothing to prevent this team from doing so. If we fail to make it to the postseason, it is on the management, coaches and players, no excuses.

16. psfign

psfign A True Fan

We have a new coaching regime, so no i would not classify us as being 6 years into a rebuild. We can argue wether or not last draft/FA class is awful or not, but I THINK we are heading in the right direction. No, Im not happy with being a mediocre team year in and year out, but Im willing to give Philbin & Co. 3 years to see what they do.

17. phishxhead

phishxhead Ring Of Honor

You can argue all you want, it was a bad draft along with million wasted in FA. I'm fine with giving Philbin another year but Ireland has been given more than enough time and has proven his incompetence.

18. psfign

psfign A True Fan

fair enough. I dont agree about the draft or FA, but I do about Ireland.

19. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Yes. I like that our QB is developing, but we would still have squandered a great opportunity. And it will also mean that we will have stumbled down the stretch against our division foes.

20. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

Playoffs or this season is a failure

21. utahphinsfan

utahphinsfan Puck Fitzburgh

I thought Miami would finish 8-8, finish 2nd in the division, & miss the playoffs. So, I'm good.

22. niw

niw Claymaker

it will be a bittersweet type of feeling
    i would lean more towards the season being a meltdown
    but our perseverance this season leaves alot of hope for us going into 2014
    almost feel like we would be considered division favorites next season
    we are playing with our backs against the wall and the wall is not holding us back

i really like the direction of the team all around and missing the playoffs would not be acceptable but i wont quit being a fan or anything like some of you fans seem to do
    its ride or die but i would say given the circumstances overall a missed playoffs wouldnt be as hurtful under normal conditions...if that makes any sense

23. PJack

PJack A True Fan

Playoffs or failure. The point of a professional league is to win and do it consistantly. This isn't elementary school where everyone get's a trophy.

We've sucked the majority of the last 15 years. If the team can't change the mentality that losing is acceptable and mediocrity is good enough, we'll be in the exact same place 5-10 years from now. In my mind Ireland has to go if we don't make the playoffs. Six years is too long to develop just a 8-9 win team. I'd be OK with Philbin getting another year if we at least finish strong.

24. AphexPhin

AphexPhin A True Fan

Yes, it would be failure. We blew too many winnable games .

Here's hoping we make the playoffs though, I honestly think we could do some damage in it

25. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

I'd say it would be a failure. Now, I know the discussion, bringing in new players, they have to know our plays and gel with other players, become a melded squad. But I look back at the games mentioned earlier on here. Tampa, Buffalo, Carolina. Those losses were unexcusable. Losing the second half of games like we did just seemed like rolling over to me. I mean how long was it til we finally got a 4th qtr td?

By the numbers if we go 7-9 fail, 8-8 we are average, and 9-7 and up, successful to some degree. No playoofs is a fail..to me.

26. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator Donator

no question. the Tournament is the reason for the season. anything less, is wasted effort.

27. psfign

psfign A True Fan

whats funny to me people think that those who vote that it would be successful if dont win the playoffs are saying mediocrity is ok. No..thats not it. It's that we understand the building process with a new coach. There's growing pains. I understand we've had growing pains for 15+ years, but when a new coach enters in a new system, thats going to be 3 years of more growing pains.

28. Dolphins7273

... And that last sentence is where you lose credibility. Where were all of Jim Harbaugh's growing pains? Did it take 3 years for Belichick to win with NE? John Gruden with the Bucs? Etc.

29. psfign

psfign A True Fan

Figured someone would chime in with something like this or mention KC this year. There are exceptions to the rule. But that doesn make it a standard.

30. Dolphins7273

There's no "rule", and i'd consider it more than just an "exception" when it's happened so many times in the last decade.

31. jvw

jvw Starter

Failure at 8-8, we started 3-0 and then lost two games we should have won Balt-Buf......if we win two of the next three and don't make it I will give them a pass at 9-7 we would be 1 game shy of what I felt we were capable of getting when the season started.....I would be happy with the development of RT unless he's the reason we lose this next few games....

32. psfign

psfign A True Fan

well if there's no rule, then there's no exception to it, is there? But whatever, you keep your high expections and we'll both have to hope we get better wether or not we're churning new coaches every other year.

33. MartinTheSNAKE

There is a huge difference between the teams. Ireland and Philbin had to do a complete rebuild. Harbaugh had a QB already in Alex Smith and some solid players around him. Ireland and Philbin started from scratch. Parcells did a pretty crappy job here with drafting players and assembling a roster. The Majority of starters on this team are players drafted by Ireland. And a few FA he has added. This team is very young and there will be some growing pains along the way. Our QB is getting better game after game and this coaching staff seems to be doing a good job with developing players as seen by the amount of players who have stepped up this year into bigger roles.

I dont see this season as a loss because i wasnt going into this season thinking we would compete for a superbowl. I expected some bumps and bruises along the way and didnt think we would be as good as we were this season. Yes we should have a few more wins then we do, but **** happens. I did not see Tannehill playing as well as he did. He has been a huge suprise to me and is going to keep improving.

Im exited to see what this team looks like next season and exited to see how we finish the rest of this season. But if we miss the playoffs, i dont see it as a total failure. IF we finish 7-9 though i would be extremely dissapointed.

34. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Good Poll EGoat :up: Voted happy with progress instead of failure mostly because I do not want my name lumped in witho some of the usual suspects very likely to end up in that grouping.

35. niw

niw Claymaker

i honestly predicted 10-6 season before the season started
    but all i know is if we can get in these playoffs no team scares me at all! not even denver
    only teams i worry about are in the NFC

36. MartinTheSNAKE

Meh.. i predicted 10-6 or 9-7 which is what we should end up being. But we had a few games in the bag that we lost on pure WTFness. Nobody could have predicted how bad the O line would be in the first half of the season. Had the O line not been ****, we would have won that buffalo game. Probably win the Ravens game as well. ANd the Panthers were 4-10 on their 20 and got really lucky and ended up scoring and winning.

**** happens. But i see real potential with this team. And im exited for the near future and ready to start making some deep playoff runs. Hopefully it starts this year, but if it doesnt then i wouldnt consider it a failure. Now next year is a different story.

37. Dolphins512

Dolphins512 My Friends Call Me Bob Finheaven VIP Donator

From a record standpoint....9-7 would be a success in my mind. 8-8 would be a disappointment. Under any circumstances, not making the playoffs is a huge disappointment....but I see progress in this team and while we have lost some games we should have won, we also won some games we used to lose (Indy, Atlanta, Bengals, Steelers and San Diego). We have 3 games left and have a chance to go 10-6. At the beginning of the year, I looked at the first 5 games on the schedule and thought we could easily be 1-4 after that stretch.

38. niw

niw Claymaker

yea im just finally getting over that carolina loss after back 2 back wins to numb the pain
    i will be fully cured of that 4th n 10 play if we beat the PAYtriots

39. PCmor

PCmor Continuity

I really don't know how to answer. I'd consider it a major disappointment, but not an out-and-out failure. I've seen a lot of things that I question and a lot of things I have reservations about, but I've also seen progress made.

I'd like to see some changes in the FO and coaching staff, but I also wouldn't be devastated if the Dolphins nearly stood pat in those areas. The team needs a major upgrade in depth, IMO, and I'm not sure Ireland can accomplish that, but I won't mutiny if he's back, either.

Next year, though, expectations should be very high. If this team misses the playoffs this year and next, heads should roll.

40. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

I agree that it's a good poll but after the way this team started, the couple of losses to bad opponents we took, and the opportunity we have now when it's all on the line... man, I'd be pretty bummed out if we don't find a way to get in.