ILB Chris Borland, Wisconsin in round two??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ILB Chris Borland, Wisconsin in round two???

Roman529

Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew
Reaction score
I really like Chris Borland. He reminds me a lot of #54 Zach Thomas the way he hustles all over the field, and he is about the same size as Zach (5'11, 245). I know many people like Mosley, but I think we need to get an O-lineman who we can plug in to start right away, at either RT or RG, before we get a middle linebacker. What do you guys think about Borland?

[video=youtube;WCbBmcxmFHY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCbBmcxmFHY[/video]

Watch the hit he puts on the Nebraska Running Back. We could use some of this toughness.

[video=youtube;RBqrZU3xImk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBqrZU3xImk[/video]

I really like Borland and think he'll be there is R2. I see Mosley as a more complete player, but I wouldn't mind having Shazier or Borland is Miami misses out on Mosley.

I like blue collar, bring your lunch pail to work with you linebackers. Zach was definitely that type of guy and Borland looks to be the same. The thing that made Zach great was his preparation and intensity, looks like we'd be getting comparable intensity from Borland but I doubt his preparation is even remotely close to Zach's. All that being said, if Mosley is there in round one you take him. Solid all around linebacker, hard worker, very cerebral, and he seems to always be at the right place at the right time.

he is my man crush for this draft, i love this guy, and would be very excited if we picked him up. im hoping to grab him in two, and if not hopefully he falls to us in three. i dont see it happening tho its wishful thinking

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

he has by far the best instincts coming out. love this guy

Fantastic player and fit for us. I do like Mosely..but he's the odd man out for me. I think Borland is the best Mike in this draft. And if you want a WOLB I think Shazier is better.

Borland in Rd 2 would be a great pick

I'm all on board with Borland in the second round. Looks like he's going to be a great player.

Jeff Ireland seemed to be pretty rigid in only picking players that met certain height, weight, timed speed metrics for certain positions. It was rare for him to ever draft linebackers who were undersized. I have no doubt that he would never have drafted Zach Thomas because he would have been considered too small.
But ding dong - the witch is dead. Hickey may not be bound by the draft rules governed by the metrics like Jeff. Borland is undersized but he reminds me a lot of Zach - even down to the way he tossed the tackled players. The resemblance in tackling style is quite extraordinary.
We need a speedy middle linebacker who can tackle. If he is physically sound and a good character guy, he could be the 2nd round pick (and there is no need to try to get cute about hoping he drops to the 3rd). Philip Wheeler is a financial boat anchor due to a ridiculous guaranteed ballooning amount in this, his second year. But Borland could be good enough to beat him for the position from the get go.

Pretty steep drop off at ILB after Borland, no real 3 down players at the position after he's drafted? Wouldn't be surprised if that does push him into round 2.

I'd be excited to have him in rd 2. Plays with a lot of intensity

Pretty steep drop off at ILB after Borland, no real 3 down players at the position after he's drafted? Wouldn't be surprised if that does push him into round 2.

yep...there are not many 3 down mike options...and a lot of 2 down lbs period in this class

the concern here and its a legitimate one imo is are you getting a 3 down lb here...he tested as a VERY average athlete at the combine...couple that with the short arms and the undersized height wise to begin with and it definitely makes you wonder what you are getting...does show nice lateral footwork and quickness in drills...

if he's a 3 down lb 2nd round makes sense given the instincts if he's not a every down guy cause he can't handle the movement requirements to not be an eye sore in the nickle then 3rd round is more wherei see the value in a 2 down guy...

and i'm not really sure what he is...some days i say 3 down others i say ehhh can he play in the nickle

james morris who looks more a 2 down lb at iowa who doesnt have great range showed as more athletic at the combine...and would be a day 3 mike target for me as a 2 down guy...i think he's undervalued

the concern here and its a legitimate one imo is are you getting a 3 down lb here...he tested as a VERY average athlete at the combine...couple that with the short arms and the undersized height wise to begin with and it definitely makes you wonder what you are getting...does show nice lateral footwork and quickness in drills...

if he's a 3 down lb 2nd round makes sense given the instincts if he's not a every down guy cause he can't handle the movement requirements to not be an eye sore in the nickle then 3rd round is more wherei see the value in a 2 down guy...

and i'm not really sure what he is...some days i say 3 down others i say ehhh can he play in the nickle

james morris who looks more a 2 down lb at iowa who doesnt have great range showed as more athletic at the combine...and would be a day 3 mike target for me as a 2 down guy...i think he's undervalued

I'd definitely prefer Morris in the 4th or 5th to Borland in the 2nd or 3rd. I don't have a lot separating the two. Not a good draft for Mikes, imo.

I'd definitely prefer Morris in the 4th or 5th to Borland in the 2nd or 3rd. I don't have a lot separating the two. Not a good draft for Mikes, imo.

yeah it's not a good draft for mikes especially if you think mosley is more a will fit...which i do...it's a good draft for 3 down wills i'd say...guys like kirksey in the mid rounds look like very good values to me...but dont give me any telvin smith....he all of 219 lbs...let someone else take that

as for inside lbs skov hasn't run for anyone yet i'm sure he's worried about putting up a number near a 5 and been avoiding it for just that reason but he's an average athlete even in college and looks more a 2 down guy

kyle van noy is a 2 down solb who if he plays on 3rd down will likely get some rush run like we give misi...i like the player but he struggles in space and doesnt show off all that great lateral ability...straight line speed was better than anticipated though i'd say

yeah it's not a good draft for mikes especially if you think mosley is more a will fit...which i do...it's a good draft for 3 down wills i'd say...guys like kirksey in the mid rounds look like very good values to me...but dont give me any telvin smith....he all of 219 lbs...let someone else take that

as for inside lbs skov hasn't run for anyone yet i'm sure he's worried about putting up a number near a 5 and been avoiding it for just that reason but he's an average athlete even in college and looks more a 2 down guy

kyle van noy is a 2 down solb who if he plays on 3rd down will likely get some rush run like we give misi...i like the player but he struggles in space and doesnt show off all that great lateral ability...straight line speed was better than anticipated though i'd say

I do like Borland, Bullough, Morris, and Skov. I think they're guys who max out their potential, but I agree. Skov is likely dodging the 40. I can see him as a smaller, lesser Brandon Spikes.

I like Van Noy. Not a super athlete, but I like his instincts and play-making ability. His pass rush is a plus, because I do agree that you don't want him covering in too much space (3rd down situations). But I see a guy who can cover well enough on base downs and has a knack for making plays around or behind the LOS with enough versatility and pass rush ability to keep in on the field in that role on 3rd.

Back
Top Bottom