ILB Chris Borland, Wisconsin in round two??? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ILB Chris Borland, Wisconsin in round two???

I do like Borland, Bullough, Morris, and Skov. I think they're guys who max out their potential, but I agree. Skov is likely dodging the 40. I can see him as a smaller, lesser Brandon Spikes.

I like Van Noy. Not a super athlete, but I like his instincts and play-making ability. His pass rush is a plus, because I do agree that you don't want him covering in too much space (3rd down situations). But I see a guy who can cover well enough on base downs and has a knack for making plays around or behind the LOS with enough versatility and pass rush ability to keep in on the field in that role on 3rd.

just depends on what you ask van noy to do on 3rd down...if it's go forward yeah i can get down with it has nice short area lateral quicks as a blitz rusher but if the o can set him up[ where he has to carry coverage you in trouble...he looks lioke a patriots late round 2 guy to me...early 3rd round for most teams that the pats scoop up with a specific plan and role

its too bad lamin barrow doesnt show better instincts cause athletically hes what you want...

just depends on what you ask van noy to do on 3rd down...if it's go forward yeah i can get down with it has nice short area lateral quicks as a blitz rusher but if the o can set him up[ where he has to carry coverage you in trouble...he looks lioke a patriots late round 2 guy to me...early 3rd round for most teams that the pats scoop up with a specific plan and role

its too bad lamin barrow doesnt show better instincts cause athletically hes what you want...

The guy I keep thinking of for a pro comp is a more athletic - smaller - Mike Vrabel. Basically, a 4-3 SAM version of Vrabel.

The guy I keep thinking of for a pro comp is a more athletic - smaller - Mike Vrabel. Basically, a 4-3 SAM version of Vrabel.

yeah i can see that although vrabel had a little better size as i recall...i think he played 34 olb for the pats

Fantastic player and fit for us. I do like Mosely..but he's the odd man out for me. I think Borland is the best Mike in this draft. And if you want a WOLB I think Shazier is better.

Borland in Rd 2 would be a great pick
What are your thoughts on Borland in coverage? I love him in the run game, but that's my main concern. Is he a three down player?

yep...there are not many 3 down mike options...and a lot of 2 down lbs period in this class

I agree with you guys that there are not many options at the mike lb position but I think Borland is worth rolling the dice on. There was a good article on Borland in today's Green Bay paper. It sounds like the writer was hoping the Packers go after him. Also, not sure about his pass coverage, but he has been able to get some QB sacks at Wisconsin.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...ormer-UW-teammate-believes-underrated-Borland

Between his numerous injuries, lack of athletic ability and subpar pass defense I would not take Borland in Rd2. Round 4 is highest I'd go.

Based on measurables and translation to the NFL games, if your chooses are Mosley in 1 vs Borland in 2 you go Mosley all day

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 AM ----------

Between his numerous injuries, lack of athletic ability and subpar pass defense I would not take Borland in Rd2. Round 4 is highest I'd go.

Based on measurables and translation to the NFL games, if your chooses are Mosley in 1 vs Borland in 2 you go Mosley all day

james morris stock on the uptick after he tested better than expected at the combine...more fluid...i have bumped him up to the 4th round even if he is a 2 down lb in the pros

He will be long gone by the time we get to our 2nd pick. He is a top 40 player. If we really want him, we trade up to get him.

He's going to be another guy that if we pass on we'll be sitting there wishing we did pick him like all the other instinctive linebackers in past drafts... He's the real deal and the ONLY thing people can say bad about him is his height, everything else is good. 1st round talent that will fall to the 2nd round.

I'd personally pass on Borland in the second. Just too many players I like better that could be there.

Id like to see one thread on borland that doesnt mention zach

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 AM ----------

I respect your opinion. I don't follow the college football as closely as the NFL, so I don't see as many games.
However, when I see the Borland highlights, I see a flatout tackling machine with a big heart and great determination. He has probably been told by everyone that he's too small for the position and this has helped to make him better.
Some of the draft purists seem to fixate on the body size and performance metrics. It's probably the reason why Zach Thomas dropped all the way to the 5th round. In Borland I see a player who fits our need to do a lot of tackling in the MIKE position. It would be nice to get a bigger, faster physical specimen, but the late swooping speed that he closes in for tackles impresses the hell out of me. I haven't seen enough of his games to know if the highlights look great but he doesn't play like that enough.
While Mosely may be better, our O-line needs may be such that the call is simply made to take one and get the LB later. It's actually an interesting test how Hickey prioritizes the needs.

Are we really arguing that a guy won't be a good player because of short arms?

The guy is a football player. He's more athletic than the 40 time he ran. He's instinctive and is around the ball. Absolutely on board with him.

Are we really arguing that a guy won't be a good player because of short arms?

The guy is a football player. He's more athletic than the 40 time he ran. He's instinctive and is around the ball. Absolutely on board with him.

You just don't know how a guy is going to work out in the NFL but almost as you said above, "Now that's a football player" was my first thought.

I like borland a lot, but not in the 2nd rnd.

You can't take a Ilb in the second round, who is undersized and a mismatch in the pass game.

Back
Top Bottom