I'll be honest, Lane Johnson running a 4.7 40 means....... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I'll be honest, Lane Johnson running a 4.7 40 means.......

mbhcu98

Active Roster
Reaction score
........extremely little to me. He's a Tackle.

It signifies his superior athleticism but youre right a tackle would hardly ever need to run 40 yards. It just shows how explosive he is. That along with other drills gives you an idea of how well a player can move in a short distance.
One thing I would look into is his endurance. I imagine he's mostly made up of explosive fast-twitch muscle fibers so the question would be does he have enough endurance to last on those long 12-15 play drives and remain explosive?

Either way, I hope the Dolphins stay away from offensive line with our first pick. I realize the importance of offensive lineman but I dont trust this staff to make the right evaluations on linemen on a consistent basis.

You're right. Which is why it would be silly to trade up for him. I'd you didn't think he was a too 12 pick before the combine you shouldn't now. If you did then you still should. But the combine shouldn't be sending him from the late first/second to the top 10. That's not what the position is about

Sit at 12 and hope one of the Hogs falls to you. If Lane Johnson/Eric Fisher falls to you then you have to take them. Johnson is tenacious and athletic and can man both sides of the line like he did very often in college. High character guy that can chip block and get to the second and even third level if you need him to. Our O-line needs a tackle that can consistently protect.

I don' think we should be giving up any picks to move up. If anything- when we get to our pick if, by the crazy odds that none of the top OT are there, i think we find a trade partner to slide back in the first and pick up a late second and maybe a late 3rd/early 4th? If we moved back into the 20's i would be totally on board with picking up Eifert.

40 times for receivers mean very little to me.

How often does anyone in the NFL run a full straight sprint 40 yards?

Show great athletic ability, but he is still the third best tackle in the draft. Yet, he is a top five guy yet still. Get one of the top three guys.

Lane Johnson isn't a good tackle prospect because he ran a 4.7 in the 40 yard dash.

He ran a 4.7 in the 40 yard dash because he's a good tackle prospect.

I wouldn't trade up for the guy, but if he's there at 12 I'd take him. If not, the only other o-linemen I'd take (assuming the big 3 tackles are gone) is Jonathan Cooper.

It shows how athletic he is and that does matter to Miami who runs a zone blocking scheme that asks their OL to move downfield more.

Johnson and Cooper are rare athletes at their positions and either one would be great fits in Miami.

Cooper could be had at 12 but Johnson is probably going to force Miami to move up to 8 or 9 to grab him.I am all for that as long as Miami does not have to include either of their 2nd rounders in the deal.

I have a better idea! We could draft Cooper in the first round at 12 and go after Terron Armstead OT in the late 3rd of 4-th round. He had a faster forty time than Johnson and is stronger than Johnson. He's my sleeper starting Left tackle pick!

Any thoughts?!?

tell that to the guy he ran down on the sideline thinking he was gonna just walk into the endzone on the senior bowl int return...where johnson covered ground like a gazelle for 306 lbs...and made a hellacious looking athletic play

Even that doesn't matter to me as much as what the space he creates in the pocket by being able to proactively attack pass rushers. In zone protections, when he doesn't have anyone to block, he can come over and help another OL out much more effectively, creating enough space to keep the quarterback from getting spooked, and he's got the athleticism that if he reacts late he can still be effective. In the run game, he can get out to cut-off blocks that other guys can't, and on screens he could pull way out and clear a lot of room.

The athleticism and mobility wouldn't mean jack sh-t if he didn't have the physicality, strength and will to use it. But he's got those things. He's a nasty, opportunistic player with good strength. It's when you combine those things with the mobility that you get such a deadly player at the position, IMO. A guy who has the willingness to be an athlete and go embarrass people athletically, and also the straight up ability to do that.

40 times for receivers mean very little to me.

How often does anyone in the NFL run a full straight sprint 40 yards?
how about Austin having the best 40 and shuttle ;-)
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Back
Top Bottom