I'll Defend Tannehill!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by JTech194, Nov 16, 2012.

1. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

What I'm seeing is a very fruatrated QB, who's forcing throws because his receivers aren't getting any separation at all, his running game is non existent, and he'a getting harassed by D-linemen because his line is playing terribly! he's getting tired of going 3 and out so he's trying to force throws to covered players hoping one of them will make a play. But it's obvious that's no happening! It's not like he's missing guys that are open! I think only once did I hear jaws break down a play where it appears he missed an open receiver! But after I looked at the play again, he actually threw the ball where clay should have been going but for some reason Clay cut the crossing route short and faded towards the middle of the field which lead to the incomplete pass. The main difference between how we were playing in the beginning of the season and now is that our running game was working, and our oline was playing well. Neither of those things are happening now and we don't have the receiving core or QB(due to youth and inexperience) to make up for it. Tannehill is a rookie so I'm not expecting him to play like Peyton manning. You see what the colts did, they kept Reggie Wayne and drafted Hilton and fleener so their rookie QB would have a chance of success! What did we do? Cut Marshall and signed Legedu Nene! FAIL! lets prepare for next year, get egnew, Lamar miller, Vernon, Matthews, all the young guys... Some more playing time! Because I really don't see us beating Seattle, NE, which means no playoffs for us!

2. IHATETHEJETS

IHATETHEJETS Well-Known Member

It was nice to see Tannehill finally start showing his frustrations towards the receivers. I agree with you let the youth movement transpire now and let's see what we have with Miller, Egnew, and Mathews. Also wouldn't mind seeing them bring up Fuller off of the ps and put him in games also.

3. dol-phan007

dol-phan007 Money is Power

I agree, its nice to see an educated football fan who can see the whole game rather than we lost lets blame the QB. If you put a good vet QB on this team, He would have problems too.

4. finfanaz

finfanaz A True Fan

I agree with OP. I know our off season this last year was whack and we didn't do too much to help Tanne as a rookie but I truly believe that our offense will look completely different next season. Philbin is still piecing his vision together.

5. Joba-nator

Joba-nator Rookie

good post, been saying this for the past few weeks.

people need to stop the henne comparisons. henne had a good or elite run game every season...he just sucked. Tannehill has no help

6. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

Wow, at last a thread that is worth reading. It's nice to see that some people actually get what's really going on. The kid's alone our there with no help.

Ozzy rules!!

7. slickrickpuppy

slickrickpuppy Well-Known Member

i see the o-line as the biggest problem..he doesn't get a chance to set his feet or give time to the slow wr's to get free.

8. SeasonsMusic

SeasonsMusic Pianist

I see a qb who has choked away 2-4 games now with interceptions and can't lead back for a win. Not impressed the new car feel is over.

9. joeharley666

joeharley666 A True Fan

HOLY ****E!!!! we do have some smart intelligent posters here! My faith as a Dolfan is restored. Please keep posting guys, I can't take all the doom and gloomers

10. PATSSUCK

PATSSUCK A True Fan

Nice easy insight that offers nothing. Thanks

11. phinatic1399

phinatic1399 Diehard Phinatic!

I agree. Its tough for any qb let alone a rookie to throw to this awful wr core and have to go up against 7-8 guys in coverage. The kid has all the tools to be an elite nfl qb but he needs help! Damn you ireland!

12. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Thank you, Thank you so much! We have "fans" ready to throw the poor Qb to the wolves already...

13. finjim

finjim A True Fan

Welcome to my ignore list.

14. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Wait their's an IGNORE feature?

15. finjim

finjim A True Fan

Hell yes brother!! I use the crap out of it. Anybody who is hating on Tannehill gets instantly blocked, since it's obvious they are stupid. Saves me from reading their garbage.

16. qmar

qmar Well-Known Member

Would like to chime in here.

I think we have to somewhat meet in the middle here. By no means should we be throwing the towel in on Ryan Tannehill. The guy has nobody to throw to, this offensive line is a sieve (leaking everywhere), and the running game has been pathetic (also an O Line issue).

That being said, T Hill has had some accuracy issues. He's thrown some really great balls but I have also seen some that were head scratchers. Believe it or not, a lot of the picks were not included in my head scratching throws. They were mostly on short to intermediate routes where he has either overthrown or just plain missed his receiver. This could all be growing pains OR it could be a sign that this guy will simply not be an elite QB. That's the problem with accuracy issues. Sometimes guys can fix them and other situations they cannot. It's one of those traits you would like to see as a positive coming out of college.

We have to ride this guy out for the rest of the year and all of next year and truly see what he has. If he doesn't develop, you move on. I believe he may be able to develop into a VERY good QB, but he has to fix some things and this back office need to get him some playmakers AND bodies on the line that can play.

17. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

Actually I saw a QB that put us in position to win 2 of those 4 games and his teammates didn't come through. Football is a team game sir, this aint Tennis or Golf.

18. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

Im with you bro! There have been times where Tanny would miss a guy wide open in the flats or maybe missed a throw or two here and there but every QB misses throws, so I don't expect him to be perfect. But I agree, while i think he's going to be good, the jury is definantly still out.

19. AdamC13

AdamC13 Awe "Tight End" my favorite position!

Wow, this has to be a record for most excuses ever in a single paragraph...congratulations!

20. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

Reasons for why things are happening and excuses are two different things homie. Name me one QB in the league right now that is successfull with equal or worst talent than Tannehill is playing with..... Take your time... I'll wait.

21. josekareh

josekareh Finfansince75

I guess the fixing is pretty simple... if Tannehill is given enough time to read he will deliver, I would use the PS receivers and ASAP to see what they can do.

adding a couple more pieces into the offense will let the Dolphins do better things.

We will be playing for next year, and that is also a Plus!!!

22. IKNOWEVERYTHING

IKNOWEVERYTHING Active Member

Bingo! I'm tired of the excuses everyone keeps making about this kid. He's not a playmaker. A good QB MAKES plays despite lack of OL and running game. Tanny fails time after time to make plays. He's afraid to roll out of the pocket unless it's a designed call. Tannehill has shown me absolutely nothing. Being called ridiculed by posters on this board for pointing out that Tannehill sucks is ludicrous. Hey Tannehill lovers, BITE ME! Tannehill SUCKS! He chokes down the stretch time after time. Good QB's don't do that. He has CHOKED every game in the 4th that we needed him.

23. dhunt1023

dhunt1023 Active Member

Well then start rooting for another team! We have enough ignorant fans!

24. phins_4_ever

phins_4_ever E22 FH Tailgate Gang Moderator Finheaven VIP

You mean insides like "Tannehill is great, receivers suck"?

Honestly, this whole discussion is mood. On one side people say it's on Tannehill and the other side says it's all on the receivers. But neither side is right or wrong at this time nor has either side the exclusive claims to have the all-knowledge of football wisdom. Most of us speculate out of emotions. Neither wants to be wrong. And most of us have nothing but hope left.

25. Phins117

Phins117 A True Fan

Not hard to lose games when you have no receivers who can make separation as well as no running game. I don't have a problem with us losing these games. We have a young qb and now a better pick every week for the next draft. And I am very excited with these draft picks.

26. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

I hope Ireland doesn't **** them up.........

27. califan4life

califan4life Active Member

Let me say this i dont post much but it does get aggravating when i see post that our QB sucks , and already to throw him out , what we need is logic thinking defenses are taking the way the middle of the field, your telling me that bess and hartline will burn them deep i really doubt it , there is a reason why we cut marshall and traded davis, we are stocking pilling picks for the draft, as soon as they traded davis i knew they were looking towards next year, people did we really think we were going to make a serious run at the playoffs, i was hopeing but i knew it was a very small chance , but we need a very strong draft we need a top wideout and offensive line help, pass rusher would be nice but the jury is still out on vernon i think he will be ok for us. Lets give tannehill some weapons before we think he is ryan leaf.

28. WVDolphan

WVDolphan A True Fan

While the people bashing Tannehill so hard they are calling him Henne and declaring that we should already be moving on from him are going a bit overboard, these kinds of threads are just as ridiculous only from the polar opposite side.

Could you make any more excuses for the guy? To act like no QB in the league could be making plays with this offense is utter nonsense. There have been opportunities for Tannehill to make plays and he hasnt.

I dont understand why you cant criticize his play without being ridiculous and saying its certain he will never be any good at this point. But, I also dont understand why you have to make a ton of complete bull**** excuses and act like he does no wrong or that he has had absolutely no chance to succeed. Get real. Its like Fox News and MSNBC around here.

Tannehill has played like dog**** for 10 qtrs now. It is what it is. He needs to improve. Most of us are hoping he will.

Just because we dont have an all star roster and the OL has been a joke, dosent mean Tannehill couldnt have made some plays. He had some chances and he has failed just as badly as the rest of the offensive players have. When the line gives him time, a receiver is open, and he misses badly, thats on Tannehill, not everyone else. When Jake Wrong and Martin get bulldozed and the DEs meet at the QB, thats on them. When nobody gets open, thats on the WRs.

There has been plenty of blame to go around. Tannehill deserves his share. It also wouldnt kill him to actually make a play on occasion when the circumstances arent the greatest. Thats what the good QBs do. If Tannehill is going to be a good one, he will have to start making some of these plays. It is possible for a QB to make a big play even when someone on the OL gets beaten you know. Andrew Luck did it all day against us.

29. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Yep. You can't have it both ways people, when Hartline was leading the league in receiving Tanny got a lot of the credit for elevating the play of the wr's and deservedly so because thats what good QBs do. Now that his numbers have come back down to earth Hartline gets a lot the blame for Tannehill sucking.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2012
  30. joerobbie

joerobbie FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

2 weeks ago tannehill was the real deal for you...you are a funny men

31. Phantom

Phantom Phantom Donator

I hope Ireland isn't here to fook them up !!!

32. WVDolphan

WVDolphan A True Fan

Im not saying he isnt now. Just pointing out facts. He has not played well in 10 qtrs. To get real about it, he has played like hot garbage for 10 qtrs. Is there any way to deny that?

Eli Manning has played like dog **** for a couple of games now too. That fact dosent make him no longer elite. Eli is still one of the top QBs in the game.

Lets see Tannehill bounce back with a couple of good weeks of play and beat Seattle and NE getting us right back in the mix.

33. HarryBagpipe

HarryBagpipe Archibald Meatpants Super Donator Donator

Yeah, I'm not sure which is worse. The knee jerk reactionaries who are calling tanny a bust after a few games of poor play or the people lacking a certain level of reading comprehension and interpreting valid criticism as the same as calling tanny a bust.

34. WVDolphan

WVDolphan A True Fan

I find most disturbing the people who will throw the entire team under the bus to deny criticism of one player honestly.

Whats funny is they will do this and then go into other threads and talk about some of the players as being underrated or under valued. Yet, when trying to build an argument to defend one player those others are all trash. Its a joke really. They arent dolphins fans, they are fanboys.

If you are a dolphins fan, why would you bash the entire team when you know damn well there are some useful players on the roster. Hartline is a good player. Period. He isnt a stud WR, but he is a solid player. Bess is useful in his own way. He certainly is not a regular wide out and he needs to not be used like that, but he has value. Any team would love to have him.

I hope Tannehill plays much better the rest of the way not just because the obvious reasons, but definately so we have to stop reading this trash from both sides of it........ The fanboys who bash the entire team to make excuses for his play and the people who go way too far and suggest he can never be any good.

35. grog&gunpowder

grog&gunpowder Member

The kid can play. He is one of my all-time favorite Aggies. Of course, he had the luxury of lining up behind one of the best O-lines in college football. It's amazing how big of a difference that makes.

36. FinHopeful

FinHopeful Starter

The offensive line has played horrible, but the hurried throws and overthrows are not because of lack of time to throw. He has played worse since being injured.

37. FinHopeful

FinHopeful Starter

Very good points! My opinion is that Tannehill did not get over the mental side of the injury. It appears he is hesitant to step into throws. I have no proof or even strong evidence. It is just a feeling I get when I watch him play since the injury.

38. mialuv13

mialuv13 A True Fan

The whole team deserves blame for playing so poorly. There are only a handful of players on this squad that showed up the past 2 games. Namely: Reshad Jones, Thigpen, Wake, and Brandon Fields. Notice that none of those are on the offensive side of the ball.

This team has looked lazy on offense. Crucial penalties at the worst possible times. The offense has fallen apart the past 3 games in crucial moments. Especially the final drives against the Colts and Bills. They looked absolutely lost in those big moments. In both games we got the ball in our own territory, we started driving down the field, a bogus penalty occurred (Pouncey with the false start and Hartline with the OPI), and finally Tannehill couldn't deliver after being put in a tough situation (horribly missed pass to, I believe, Reggie in the Colts game when he had ample room to move and that horrible pass down the middle of the field that got picked in the Bills game).

There is a lot of blame to go around right now. Sure, Tannehill has little talent around him, but at some point Tannehill has to be a playmaker and a game changer instead of just a game manager. I'll give him some leeway this season as it's his rookie season, but he has to show flashes of being a dominant player more often. There are lulls in games where the offense is stagnant, and a some of it can be attributed to Tannehill. It seems like he's handcuffed at times, and the team avoids putting the pressure on him.

It goes without saying that, Tannehill needs to improve his game when the pressure is on him. In the last 2 minutes of the half his season stats not including the Bills game are, 8 of 24 (33.3%), 0 TDs, 4 INTS and a whopping QB Rating of 8.0. So after last game he can add another INT to that total.

Even with all the bashing I just did, he has shown some great stuff. He has gotten us in position to win games, but the team as a whole has not been able to keep their composure. They have some serious mental lapses when it matters most. That just can't happen. Period. Even though the playoff talk was a little premature, it was in our hands to take, but we lost focus and are on a 3 game skid. Tannehill has to dig deep and make plays happen, and the team has to pull their head out of their asses.

I'm excited to see how Tannehill will develop towards the end of the year. I have full faith that he will improve even though the schedule is at it's most daunting.

39. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

I don't follow college football but the top story on my CNN.com news feed is about Johnny "football" Manzie, they are already making comparisons to Micheal Jordon and Wayne Gretzky. Time to come up with a slogan for 2015.

40. Dick Pepperwood

Dick Pepperwood A True Fan

Excited about Draft Picks Dude. That's something Bad NFL Franchises say during the season! Oh snap we are a Bad NFL Team.
    Not excited about that Egnew pick man

41. ahmilli

ahmilli Rookie

I completely agree, but the only player helping Tanny is Hartline! Other than that, no one has done crap the past couple of games..

42. PATSSUCK

PATSSUCK A True Fan

Hartline and Bess are decent-good players. Neither is a game changer. Neither is a go up and get WR. Neither is a consistent red zone target. Tannehill has played poorly for the last two games. However he has little help. Atlanta should be the model on how you help your qb. Ryan had a stud #1 wr, great TE, and a great rb his rookie year.

43. finjim

finjim A True Fan

As we speak Ryan has thrown 4 INT. What will this fanbase do when Tanny does that? It will happen someday.

44. PATSSUCK

PATSSUCK A True Fan

This fan base struggles with putting things in context. Tannehill has throw 11 picks. Here is the breakdown:

3 picks were jump balls.
    1 pick the receiver fell.
    1 pick hit as he throws.
    6 picks are his fault for various reasons.

45. Jojo

Jojo Rookie

Ryan just threw his 5th pick against Arizona.

46. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Reading Is Fundamental Donator

That's the same Defense Tannehill threw for a boatload of yards.

47. Phindog

Phindog A True Fan

The fan base struggles with him being a rookie.

48. Phindog

Phindog A True Fan

No...this isnt good for the Tannehill haters!

49. finjim

finjim A True Fan

Henne is also putting up ridiculous numbers vs Houston, and most Tannehill haters were also Henne haters.

They are getting exposed today.

50. phinking

phinking A True Fan

Really? And why was Matt Moore able to move the ball so well while having less knowledge of the playbook than Tannehill? I look forward to your response.