I'll Play Jeff Ireland | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I'll Play Jeff Ireland

we can sign faneca, adams, samuel, and briggs and still not be close to salary cap 'hell'

I agree, sure we wont be, not this year or even next year at least... But in 5 or 6 years from now when all those salaries are accelerated, (also taking into account the 100 billion dollar rookie contracts that are only going to keep getting larger unless something is done) you can bet we sure as hell will be.

They dont need LB THAT bad. Greenway is a true linebacker and will probably be a beast for them for a very long time. After Udeze being diagnosed with Lukemia they might want a DE so Taylor could fit there...

They do have more pressing needs though now that they cut Smith theyre going to need a safety... but IMO WR is the biggest need for them. They need a WR in the worst way and now.

Actually I was referring to Leber and Henderson. Decent on run plays, but not the greatest in pass coverage. I agree they will need another DB to fill a couple holes they have, but I'm not sold they need a WR (again). If they keep concentrating on WR every year, they're going to be the next Detroit.
But getting off track here - Miami needs, in my opinion are too many and too deep to try and fix with older more expensive FA's. If that's the route we were going to go, we would have just kept Zach and asked him to restructure or take a pay cut (along with a couple other guys).

I agree, sure we wont be, not this year or even next year at least... But in 5 or 6 years from now when all those salaries are accelerated, (also taking into account the 100 billion dollar rookie contracts that are only going to keep getting larger unless something is done) you can bet we sure as hell will be.
It depends on how the contract is worded and if it is front or rear loaded.

It depends on how the contract is worded and if it is front or rear loaded.

I agree, but look at just about every player salary we see now, as the years go on, their salary, and cap hit increases. Most contracts nowadays are back loaded because GM's dont want to pay all that money up front.

If you are Ireland I'm Parcells..., no I'm Donald Trump and you are fired....

Why would you put all that coin into two aged players..., maybe one but not both..., build from the draft...

I agree, but look at just about every player salary we see now, as the years go on, their salary, and cap hit increases. Most contracts nowadays are back loaded because GM's dont want to pay all that money up front.

but with all this cap room...a smart GM will not 'borrow from the future' by heavily backloading contracts.

Best thing about the Lehan signing.....almost half the total contract (2.1 of 4.95) paid in the first year!!

If you are Ireland I'm Parcells..., no I'm Donald Trump and you are fired....

Why would you put all that coin into two aged players..., maybe one but not both..., build from the draft...

how many draft picks do you think we have?

Not as many as we have holes to fill!!

you're not getting albert with anything later then our 2a, otherwise good mock. if you want a guard there take someone like Heath Benedict or Mike McGlynn

but with all this cap room...a smart GM will not 'borrow from the future' by heavily backloading contracts.

Best thing about the Lehan signing.....almost half the total contract (2.1 of 4.95) paid in the first year!!

I agree... The best scenario would be IMO niether front loading nore backloading and try to make the contract as even as possible. But i know that is nearly impossible depending on how much talent you need on the team and players being greedy as hell and GN's being stingy as hell

You are correct. Not only would we have to overpay to get those players here, but we would more than likely do what most teams do and put a large chunk of that money into the signing bonus or "roster bonus". In 2 or 3 years when Flozell needs to be cut because of declining skills and huge contract, he will no longer be on the team, but his contract will be for the remaining years on the deal.

Some people feel that we have an unlimited amount of money to spend without thinking about resigning our own players in the coming years, team chemistry or how it will effect the cap. All they see is $40 million and their eyes light up.

Spending big money on a guy that will only be here for 2 or 3 years and won't even be here when we are ready to compete for a playoff spot isn't a wise use of our resources. We can sign Faneca, Adams, Samuel and Briggs and still not be a playoff team.

Looking back at Parcells history, he knows how to build a winner and that doesn't include ridiculous spending in year one.

You are correct. Not only would we have to overpay to get those players here, but we would more than likely do what most teams do and put a large chunk of that money into the signing bonus or "roster bonus". In 2 or 3 years when Flozell needs to be cut because of declining skills and huge contract, he will no longer be on the team, but his contract will be for the remaining years on the deal.

Some people feel that we have an unlimited amount of money to spend without thinking about resigning our own players in the coming years, team chemistry or how it will effect the cap. All they see is $40 million and their eyes light up.

Spending big money on a guy that will only be here for 2 or 3 years and won't even be here when we are ready to compete for a playoff spot isn't a wise use of our resources. We can sign Faneca, Adams, Samuel and Briggs and still not be a playoff team.

Looking back at Parcells history, he knows how to build a winner and that doesn't include ridiculous spending in year one.

Exactly... People need to realize that this is not how it should be done...And you dont have to look any further than our rivals in the Boston area. Look how good they have succeeded without resigning players or giving huge FA contracts (until AT last year). If you take a look at their salary cap, Id bet the house that they have little to no dead cap money.

In that, I wouldnt mind signing 1 big FA, but no more than that. We sign 1 big FA, then sign good medial depth players, then draft the stars, is how it needs to be done. Not signing Faneca, Adams, Trufant, Samuels, Hall, Briggs and so on in one offseason like half the threads I see have us doing.. We do that, and yeah, we'll be good for a couple years, then its back to the salary cap hell we were in back in the early 2000's... It took us years to get out of that, and now people want to put us right back into that situation again... No thanks!!! Thats not the way to build a winner. We do that, tnad the same people who were calling for all these huge FA signings will be calling the FO stupid and bashing them for doing it.

What do you think the salary cap will be in 5 years?

You sign players now, and their salary will seem relatively cheap in 5 years. The NFL is growing at such a pace that the salary cap will be much higher. Plus you also factor inflation.

I can't think of any team in the NFL right now that is salary cap hell. The Redskins might be a little over the cap, but every year they are able to get under and sign whatever FAs are available.

I just do not see the salary cap being an issue. I don't think that we should sign a lot of FAs, but that has to do more with production/talent, not salary.

What do you think the salary cap will be in 5 years?

You sign players now, and their salary will seem relatively cheap in 5 years. The NFL is growing at such a pace that the salary cap will be much higher. Plus you also factor inflation.

I can't think of any team in the NFL right now that is salary cap hell. The Redskins might be a little over the cap, but every year they are able to get under and sign whatever FAs are available.

I just do not see the salary cap being an issue. I don't think that we should sign a lot of FAs, but that has to do more with production/talent, not salary.

Yes, but player salaries are inflating at a higher rate than the salary cap. Thats why teams cannot sign every FA that they want. The main reason why the salary cap has to be increased every year is not so much the FA's but all this garaunteed money that goes to high rookie draft picks.

I just will never be able to understand this train of thought...Like I said in another thread, its this type of thinking that got us in salary cap hell during the wanny spielman era and I think it is safe to say that the majority of people do not want us in that position again. The salary cap is a very real and tangible thing and absolutely MUST be managed the right way

Frankly I can see some kind of Contract caps put in place in the next few years, especially for the draft if they keep rising. Im sorry, but teams at the bottom are just killed when they sink millions into a player who turns out to actually suck.
Plus with the salaries of some former cheaper positions like guard skyrocketing, there is so much money being thrown at players, its just getting kinda rediculous. I dont feel like punishing players for doing well and being talented, but nor do I want to see teams and agents keep raising prices year after year after year. Eventually it will just be to much.

I dont think a contract limit would have to be harsh, just something to chop back the escalation a little, especially for rookies who havent proved jack in the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom