I'm more worry about our o-line than about our QB....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Danny, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

I've always supported Tannehill and hate that he's hurt but we must move on. Bringing Cutler in is not what I had in mind but now he's our QB and I'm rooting for him to do well. It'd be dumb not to root for him. When I look at our offense I see all the weapons(Stills,Parker,Laundry,Ajayi, Drake and Thomas and I believe Cutler is very capable of having a good year with those guys.
    What I'm worry about is our o-line. I like Tunsil but he is in his first year as a full time LT in the NFL. Pouncey is our starting center and perhaps our best lineman when healthy but he's not really healthy. If he was he would be able to practice. I know Gase wants him healthy and he's worry about him getting hurt in practice but the games will be even harder so if you can't make it thru practice how is he going to make it thru real games? Our RG was rated as the worst RG in the NFL last year and we don't even know who will start at LG. I know many people here are worry about the QB position but the o-line is our weakest link at this point imo

Ozzy rules!!

miami365, Avigatorx, Digital and 7 others like this.
  2. psfign

psfign A True Fan

Agree 100%

3. TannDaMan17

TannDaMan17 Well-Known Member

It all depends on the health of Pouncey. IF Pouncey remains healthy, this oline can be very good as a unit. But if he misses significant time again, the line and the entire team will suffer. No player is more important to our success this year than Pouncey imo. With him, we can lean on a punishing ground attack, and his ability to pull from the center position is second to none. Without him, our run game will struggle, and so will our team/season. We really need Pouncey right now. I'm starting to believe the true reason for success in Gase's system is a punishing ground attack, in an otherwise soft, pass happy league.

4. Dsteve

Dsteve Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it have been nice to have lamp instead of a project at DE?

where's th'fish likes this.
  5. gunn34

gunn34 Pro Bowler

The line is worrisome indeed.

6. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

But even if he stays healthy, not practicing hurts the line. What every coach and player always talk about when it comes to the o-line? Staying healthy AND practicing together. Trust me, him staying healthy would go a long way but we still have probably the worst pair of starting guards in the NFL, at least on paper. I hope they prove me worng.

Ozzy rules!!

7. JJM_7

JJM_7 A True Fan

It's a real bummer that Ted Larsen got injured. He was going to be a solid starter for our line.

Dominate, Danny and TannDaMan17 like this.
  8. TannDaMan17

TannDaMan17 Well-Known Member

We might have the worst pair of starting guards, but we improved the overall depth and talent of this line this off-season. Last year with Pouncey out, we still had success running the ball because J-Train is that good. If Pouncey can miraculously stay healthy, there's no reason to think Ajayi and company won't have an even better year this year, and that's saying a lot. I just read though that Larsen could go on IR, that's a big problem. Why are we always hurt?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!

9. DolphinDevil28

DolphinDevil28 I like boobs. Finheaven VIP Donator

No.

No it would not be nice to have a player taken in the 2nd round over a polished pass rusher with double digit sack potential.

HeyHoLet'sGo, Gsmack_42 and psfign like this.
  10. Dsteve

Dsteve Well-Known Member

Second round relative to a late first round project. Time will tell I guess but I wasn't a fan of the pick.

11. Dolphann4life

Dolphann4life Fixation of the Darkness.......

Lamp tore his ACL, so i'd rather have the project DE...

12. 67Stang

67Stang FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I agree and this has been our biggest issue since Tanne came into the league!

Danny likes this.
  13. Dsteve

Dsteve Well-Known Member

Was unaware of that. Just decastro whom I also wanted lol

14. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

you're right. I've always wonder how much better Tannehill could have been by now if he hadn't been running for his life for so long. They did a little better on pass protection last year but they were still inconsistent. I'm hoping the line will be better but at this point I just don't know.

Ozzy rules!!

where's th'fish likes this.
  15. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

I'm not sure I would call Harris a project. He has all the makings of having an impactful first year.

16. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

9 out of the 10 games without Pouncey out Ajayi averaged 46.2 yards a game
    for 3.38 yards per carry

add in that 10th game when Ajayi ran over Buffalo and his numbers 62.2 yards per game
    for 4.01 yards per game

Games with Pouncey playing Ajayi averaged 130 yards per game
    5.96 yards per carry

We need a healthy Pouncey and a decent left guard for any type of
    successful running game

17. where's th'fish

where's th'fish Scout Team Donator

The I Wish game is silly. We got Harris and that's that. The rules of the I Wish game say anything that happened to a player in one place would have happened in any another, so I can't argue with you there. But I Wish is make-believe land, so we can change the rules however we want.

And therefore, yes, I wish we'd got Lamp AND that he'd stayed healthy. If our line is crap again, Tannehill would've struggled to take off again (I wish he hadn't got injured, though).

18. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

From a 2015 article on the Bears....

19. where's th'fish

where's th'fish Scout Team Donator

They did a little better last year because we had Albert at LT and Tunsil at LG, at least for a while. We lost Albert this year and replaced him with Ted Larsen. To which not only, "Who?" but also he's injured already

Danny likes this.
  20. josephreese

josephreese Since '76

What makes Harris a project? He'll need to continue to grow as a player, sure, but isn't that true of any rookie?

21. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

I think Cutler is pretty likely to miss a couple of games with injury. He's been dinged up the last couple of years. He's a tough guy, so minor injuries won't sideline him long, but Matt Moore will see playing time this season.

22. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Reading Is Fundamental Donator

The only playing time Moore will see is mop up duty after They hang a 40 burger on everyone they play against all the teams will have a big goose egg. I'm "cautiously optimistic".

23. Digital

Digital Starter

Yeah, we have been very lucky in that Tannehill can take a hit and was very durable. Cutler and Moore are not as able to avoid and take hits as Tannehill was. We will need our OL to step up in pass pro ... and honestly, I'm worried. Bushrod may be very bad at run blocking, but he was OK at pass pro. Tunsil is very good. James is adequate. But I am losing faith in Pouncey's ability to get and stay healthy, and I keep waiting for the light to come on for Asiata, for whom I hold great hope and expectations.

I'm not sure we'll see the OL come together during the pre-season. It may be a work in progress early in the season, but they need to get the pass pro down, because neither Cutler nor Moore can sustain the hits like Tannehill could. And every opposing DC knows it.

24. Snoop

Snoop Well-Known Member

We need help badly on the interior of both the OL and DL

25. NJPHINFAN79

NJPHINFAN79 A True Fan

You mean have a third guy on our team that tears his acl and is out for the year?!?

Goin` Deep likes this.