Improve>>>>not Impress, Just Improve!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by GRT8, Sep 5, 2006.

1. GRT8

GRT8 DOLPHIN FAN SINCE 1970

I hope we win and want to win, as we all do. The fact that Big Ben isn't playing isn't a lock to win for us, as they are SuperBowl Champs and last I checked are still showing up to play. There defense beat Indy and Big Ben doesn't play D. Lets look for improvements and getting better than 9-7.

The key is to get better as the year goes on. We won't be firing on all cylinders week one.We need to be playing our best at the end of the season and put ourselves in position to make those games matter. Who cares, I don't concern myself with how other view us. The end result, is the result. Period. I do not put Sterling Sharpe, Sean Salisbury or Mike Golics opinion in high regard.

2. 54Fins

54Fins Anonymous User

true,agree 100%.Hopefully we will impress in the Playoffs!:wink:

3. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips Ready for Henne.

actually...the elite teams usually are firing on all cylinders week one...

4. PhinsRock

PhinsRock A True Fan

Is that you Coach Saban?

Sounds exactly like what I would expect to hear from Saban. excellent post!

5. GRT8

and the patriots were elite when they started out with more losses than wins?.......then won the superbowl. Start with the first goal in mind and build on it. No one is starting the year believing in elite. Are you?

6. GRT8

I have to admit this is the most excited I have felt about Miami in years!

7. HybridPHIN 23

HybridPHIN 23 the N E W Dolphilbins

He doesnt play D... but big ben made the biggest tackle in steelers history !!! They'll need him when Will Allen takes one to the house.:D

8. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Saban will have the team fundamentally improving as the season wears on from a mental aspect, but that doesn't change the fact that physically speaking, Miami teams are generally in better condition than most NFL teams in September, and a little bit worn down in December and January.

9. Mr772

Mr772 Pro Bowler

Except for last year we started strong and ended strong. If we can wipe that middle slump out this year we should be in control of our own fate come december.

10. ckparrothead

I think we finished strong because we got on the same page mentally. In terms of brute power, we were not as physical during that stretch run as we were at the beginning. Ronnie wore down. Lucky for us, due to the suspension, Ricky was only just getting started...

11. GRT8

in previous years, yes. I wonder if the practice bubble and escaping some south Florida heat will help. Also, having a more savvy conditioning coach and smarter practice regime will help.

12. ckparrothead

Hopefully the way Saban turns camp into one big aerobic exercise will lessen the wearing-down factor.

But as for the bubble, every indication seems to be that it will be used exactly for what it is designed...which is to say, not losing practice days because of the kind of inclement weather that ALWAYS HAPPENS in Florida during the July and August months. Also, they seem to want to use the bubble as a means of changing pace for a practice, simulating sort of primetime/nighttime/dome conditions. By all indications, this only happened like once or twice this camp though.

If anything is going to make a difference, it will be Saban's strict enforcement of the two-meal and hydration/fat level rules. All players are eating two meals between every practice, including two-a-days. He does that rotating thing where he practices once at mid-day on one day, then they have a practice the next early morning, and then one late evening...then the next practice is a mid-day again. He also keeps strict track of weight levels, but more importantly hydration levels and fat percentages, which tell you whether or not the weight reading is a lie (lost water weight = underhydrated).

13. GRT8

it is a science. Nice post Ck.

14. ckparrothead

Well I have to wonder exactly how much credible science is behind it all, but it sounds nice, for now.

15. taldolfin

taldolfin Starter

This was one of the best posts I have read...........To the point....and yes...just win baby

16. RenoFinFan

RenoFinFan Pro Bowler

I think I understand your point, but maybe not. Is your point that winning this game doesn't really matter bc it is week 1? I agree as the season progresses it is important to focus on improving every week. Saban's basic philosophy every day in practice is to improve from the day before. But last I heard a win in week 1 counts just as much as a win in week 17.

However, I think this year is a lot different than last year and there is and should be a high expectation to win this game. Last year was about transition, implementing a new system and getting the team to buy into Saban's philosophy. This year expectations are much higher (e.g. McMichael's comment about playing in the SB).

The veteran additions Saban has made in the offseason indicate to me Saban is expecting to make a SB push this year. The importance of getting a #1 or #2 seed is huge. Or course, there are examples of teams that have made it to the SB playing in a wild card game, but those are exceptions and not the norm.

Just for the record -- I am not one of those pessimistic fans that thinks the season is over if we lose this game. I do support and think Miami will win every game they play in. I haven't picked against them in 34 years of following them. And I do think is it important to enter the playoffs on a roll.

17. FiN FaN KeViN

FiN FaN KeViN Well-Known Member

lol that would be nice to see will allen bring one back but all in all its still goining to be a tuff game

18. randy9

randy9 Well-Known Member

Lets start strong, win the game, and build on the dynamic of the team chemistry to be champs at season end.

19. ckparrothead

I think you'll often find that the best teams in January are teams that do not look how they looked in September. If the team is constant from September to December, I think eventually 10-12 games helps teams in the back stretch identify weaknesses in your profile as a team.

They wouldn't be the only example but I do think Indy is a decent example. All it took was one game...the San Diego game...to give Pittsburgh a blueprint for how to take them down. Until that one game, teams are just guessing and often guess wrong.