Insightful Dolphins Quote from Mike Tanier's Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by z926538, Mar 9, 2013.

1. z926538

z926538 Rookie

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/42347136

Mike Tanier's mock draft discussion of the Dolphins contains an insightful quote:

"Perhaps the Dolphins are stuck at .500 because they are always drafting to replace the outgoing players who kept them at .500."

So far in free agency it appears that this is exactly what we are doing: resigning the same mediocre players who led us to a 7-9 record at higher salaries. We never improve ourselves -- we just keep staying the same.

If this continues at least Ireland will be gone.

2. ITS!MATEO

ITS!MATEO A True Fan

I disagree... These past 2 drafts have been really good and I see this years draft as possibly being the best.

We have some really young up and coming guys on the roster. I'm extremely optimistic this year :brewskis:

3. Sean

Sean Just Win, Baby

Oh. So Randy Starks is a bum is what your saying. Same with a #2 WR in Hartline, and a solid backup QB in Matt Moore that mentors your young, potential franchise QB. Okay.

4. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I like getting Moore back but qb mentorship does not seem to be a big thing in todays NFL.

5. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

LMFAO @ Patterson as a young Burress. From where did he pull that comparison?

6. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

Isn't that how it usually goes? You release players with high cap number and replace them with guys who have lower salaries.

7. Sean

Sean Just Win, Baby

That made me LOL really hard as well. Some people are just, well, for lack of a better word, stupid.

8. z926538

z926538 Rookie

How did any of those resignings make us better than we were last year? From a talent point of view at best they kept us the same while eating up a larger portion of the salary cap. The idea is to get better, not to continue being 7-9.

9. Pitbull13

Pitbull13 Pitbull13

I like Rhodes at 12!

10. Billk78

Billk78 Scout Team

You are reading and interpreting the quote the wrong way.

"Perhaps the Dolphins are stuck at .500 because they are always drafting to replace the outgoing players who kept them at .500."

He is saying we do not keep our own players (i.e., Marshall, Davis, etc.). He is actually saying that keeping the guys who have done well for us is a GOOD thing. So by signing Hartline, Starks, Moore we are keeping our own. That's what he is saying we have failed to do....and usually have to draft to replace them.

11. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

You can't continue to resign players, the costs become prohibitive, if they only get you to .500. You need stars, Long used to be one, maybe he can be one again if healthy. But not signing Sean Smith when you upgrade through the draft makes sense.

12. footsteps_falco

footsteps_falco Damn SugarBowl Finheaven VIP Donator

starks is making a fine salary of 8.5mil for a guy who stays on field all 3 owns and went to the probowl. hartline is a valuable wideout and he got12 mil guaranteed over 5 years... cmon... hes either getting it all up front so they can cut him penalty free any time or theyre backloading all the money so he never sees the other 18 mil of that contract. matt moore is a borderline starter who can win when he comes him, that's invaluable, and his contract is irrelevant, you have to look at the total money we pay to that position and its still half of what other teams pay to just their starters

13. HarryBagpipe

HarryBagpipe Archibald Meatpants Super Donator Donator

Well free agency hasn't begun yet so we really haven't had the opportunity to improve ourselves yet this off season.

14. Noodleman

Noodleman Starter

Jesus christ people you like to ***** a lot. FA has not even started yet and you are complaining. Teams are re signing their own players now. It doesn't mean they won't sign FA when they can. THEY CANNOT SIGN ANY FA YET!!!!! fricken relax!!!

15. where's th'fish

where's th'fish Scout Team Donator

That's a very insightful quote by Tanier, and you completely misunderstood it. What he's saying is that we should hold on to our veterans who are not great but not terrible -Sean Smith, Hartline, Clemons, Starks, Long, maybe Bush-, instead of letting that sort of middle-tier players walk year in and year and spend all our resources trying to replace them.

16. marino2duper73

marino2duper73 Well-Known Member

This makes ZERO sense. This angle holds no water, since releasing Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis, who weren't mediocre players, didn't change anything. Remember...way back when a guy named Jay Fiedler replaced Dan Marino and actually has the only successful run at QB besides maybe the short tenure of Chad Pennington....

I believe that a culture in a football team, from coaching to leadership in the locker room, to the owner, are contributing factors to success....but what this dill weed fails to acknowledge in his point is that our 7-9 2012 campaign was a few missed kicks and a few first downs away from being an 11-5 season.

Although I do agree we are in a transition phase still with the players on this team, I believe this team is on its way to being a strong contender in the AFC within the next couple years.

So Fins Up, and thumbs down to this turd... :)

17. z926538

z926538 Rookie

Perhaps I am misinterpreting the quote. I don't know.

What I do know is that I like placing the tag on Starks but think we overpaid for Hartline and Moore. And at the end of the day, none of these moves improved the team one iota beyond where we were last year. And the only potential for improvement on any of these moves is if Hartline is moved to being the #2 WR where I still frankly think we overpaid for his talent. To hell with this perpetual mediocrity, I want to see moves that improve the team.

18. z926538

z926538 Rookie

And they won't be able to sign the kinds of free agents who actually can improve the team if they blow their entire salary cap resigning the same players who led them to a 7-9 record. At some point we're going to have to let some mediocre players go so we can take a chance on improving the team.

19. marino2duper73

marino2duper73 Well-Known Member

Would you rather overpay for stability at a position, or underpay for instability? :)

20. Noodleman

Noodleman Starter

Well you should at least wait til FA STARTS before bitching. Hartline got market value and his cap hit, from what I have read, is very dolphin friendly this year. Seriously dude at least let Miami go thru FA before complaining we didn't upgrade. Resigning Moore was a good move as he was the best qb on the market and, if you watch football,, you will realize that our back up qb will most likely play important snaps for the team. Open your eyes.

21. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

meanwhile genius, the dolphins look great cap wise while the other half of the league is still trying to get more cap space and realeasing former probowlers/superbowl studs.

latest about to happen is Boldin in Baltimore.

22. z926538

z926538 Rookie

Great question! I guess my answer is that it depends on the situation. Let me use Jake Long as an example. It is clear after watching his production across five years that we overpaid for the stability at his position. He got first pick in the draft money but did not deliver first pick in the draft results in the win-loss column. So in that case I would say get rid of Long, pay less for a less talented left tackle and use the left over money to improve other positions.

Now the opposite approach is due the quarterback position. This position is so important in today's NFL that I would willing to overpay to keep someone who has franchise talent.

I hope this answers the question. If not I can try to go into further detail.

23. Gsmack_42

Gsmack_42 Well-Known Member

You sound like a 5 year old in a a toy store, Mommy Mommy i want this I want that. The only team that may have improved themselves this early in the process is KC from a talent stand point. Christmas is in 3 days than the other 31 teams can open there peasants, to improve there teams.

24. z926538

z926538 Rookie

We won't be able to improve ourselves if we spend all our cap money resigning the same players who led us to four straight losing seasons. Sometimes you have to step backwards in order to move forward along a different and better path.

25. jlfin

jlfin old pro

This team has gone the high priced FA route before (Justin Smiley, Joey Porter, Daunte Culpepper) and this hasn't really elevated the team to the upper echelon level. Its a tricky situation and oftentimes requires a little bit of good fortune.

26. xSxPxHx

xSxPxHx Scout Team

And thats why you're a rookie like your sig says..

27. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Up until Tannehill was drafted I'd would agree with that quote to a degree. Tannehill has changed everything. Keeping the younger developed players to continue to grow and improve moving forward is now more essential than ever. And keeping your core players that are solid contributors is even more imperative with Tannehill on the team. He's the 1st POTENTIAL Franchise QB this organization has had since Dan Marino.

28. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

Dude has no te going in the first round hmmmmm

29. KevInMotion

KevInMotion Running @ 24 FPS

No you're putting words in his mouth. All he is stating is that we were 7-9 last year, and looks like we're going to be keeping much of the same faces. So unless everyone ups their game markedly and the entire team improves all around from last year. We'll continue to be around and under .500 (like the past 4 seasons) and 7 out of the last 10 seasons (losing records).

Not trash talking, just using logic.

I'm a fan of Starks, he's a beast on the D-Line. I believe Hartline gets flack for not scoring a ton of TDs, when I know of 3-4 deep passes where B.H. got behind the secondary and T-Hill over threw him.

Put Hartline against the #2 CBs consistently and have a #1 WR take the focus off him (plus another year with Tanny will only make them better) and you'll see a solid improvement.

But the fact remains, you can't keep much of the same and expect huge/better results.

Now IF/When we bring in guys like Wallace or Jennings, hopefully a TE or CB, and we fill needs in the draft, then we can say that this teams making the necessary moves in the right direction. But if we keep the same old same old, we can't expect a big jump.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2013
  30. z926538

z926538 Rookie

SpecialK, thanks for making my main point much better than I did.

31. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Gotta be a typo where you meant "inciteful!" This azz Tanier is a clown..or clown is an azz..take your choice.

32. CanuckleFin

CanuckleFin Rookie

Well spoken!

33. finitis23

finitis23 Well-Known Member

Damn, can we actually wait untill free agency has at least STARTED??

34. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

The reason we have been less then 500 team for last 4 years is no QB. Now we have QB and are going after Wallace. We have lots of draft picks.

35. hartzells

hartzells Member

I think part of our problem of being mediocor is until last year we didn't have a coaching staff that truely developed the young talent.

36. Dick Pepperwood

Dick Pepperwood A True Fan

Exactly, Resigning Moore means Nothing. If Moore hits the Field we are assured another losing season. Rather go with Devlin. We need Playmakers/Winners. Not more Average Dudes.
    Agree with Quote above.