Intangibles or Luck? | The 2017 Dolphins Should be 2-4 | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Intangibles or Luck? | The 2017 Dolphins Should be 2-4

Is it intangibles or luck?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm lucky a tree didn't fall on me at work.
I'm lucky my steering wheel didn't fall off while I was driving over the bridge on the way home.
I'm lucky there are no glass shards in the beer I am drinking now.

Nah, I'm not buying into luck

It's no luck that Younghoe Koo is a terrible kicker
It's no luck that we held on to victory at home vs Titans
It's no luck that we made second half adjustments vs Falcons
It's no luck the Jets were totally unprepared to face a different qb in the 4th quarter
It's no luck that we got our asses handed to *** in Europe and vs a divisional opponent up north

YPA and turnovers do not control the outcome of every game. Can they point to a direction, sure but they have nothing to do with being lucky or not, if you believe in that sort of thing.

Luck is just that. OTOH, the more 'luck' we see, the less likely it's luck.

Reactions: <O>
If "intangibles" is Cody Parkey's middle name I'm going to
have to go with intangibles since he's won 3 out of 4 wins with his foot

If we're going to do the should've, would've, could've thing then..... Tannehill should've had the surgery, then he would've played this year and we could've been 6-0 right now.

Advance statistics and metrics work to some degree in baseball because it's relies more on individual performances. They're not so reliable in a team sport like football.

Fortitude is the word I would use, to me luck lies in the hands of the officials these days. "We got lucky they didn't call that, or we got lucky they did call it"

As far as Fortitude, we have been playing through adversity and its becoming personal and a theme this year.
Just glad this team finally has swagger and there is results because of it, please keep it going throughout the season.

Just my opinion, I voted intangibles- great thread.

Reactions: <O>
We definitely won the Chargers game due to luck.

We got lucky that we faced Cassell and not Mariota, absolutely.

But nonetheless, look at how incredibly good Miami has been in one score games under Gase. We haven't lost a 'one score game' since Week 2 vs the Patriots last season, and that was only a one score game because we mounted a great second half comeback. That leaves us with just that Seattle game in which Kenny Stills dropped a football that hit him in the hands that would have put 6 points on the board and won the game.

So while it's possible that we keep flipping coins and getting heads 13 times in a row, it's also very possible that Adam Gase is very good at one situational aspect of head coaching: managing close 4th quarter games.

OP raises a very, very interesting question. Right now Football Outsiders has us as the second worst 4-2 team in history, with last year's Texans a close 3rd. And it fits in very well with what I've seen, too. We've been extremely fortunate in three of our four wins -except the Jets, who suck and we barely beat at home with the biggest 4th quarter comeback of the year so far.

So we're magic! The big question is, is magic real? If magic is real, we can keep it up. If it's not, we're coming back down to earth, son. This is a serious question. The only people I'd trust to answer it are the Vegas hotshots who actually lay their money on the line and beat the house.

To them I ask, is magic real??

Since fate has stepped in and taken out Tannehill and Cutler I think this team is going to rally around Moore.
The D is solid, we have a legit run game, we don't fold in the 4th quarter, we can score through the air... Call it what you want that recipe equals success over time. Baltimore in prime time is a perfect place to put it all on display.

You are what your record says you are. Trying to belittle it or explain it away as just luck and nothing more is just dribble IMO

Just how lucky have we been ? Losing our quality starting QB and starting MLB for the year was bad luck. Hurricane disrupting the schedule and costing a bye week was bad luck.

Damn, I love me some Fins, but you guys are setting yourselves up for a big disappointment.

giphy.gif

IMO its both, intangibles and luck.

We have had kickers miss FGs, VERY timely roughing the QB calls, and an interception that could have been caught and lost us that Falcons game.

We have been skating on some thin ice folks and I for one, would like to see us play a COMPLETE game before I start thinking we are the next big thing here.

All this 6-0 talk is putting a jinx on us. There is a very good chance if Tanny was healthy that he would have been carted off in game 2 behind this atrocious Oline.

I’ve seen tanny high lowed more times than either qb has taken contact this year.

Only thing that puts that kid out is a direct impact on his planted lead leg

great question

i'm not sure it's either

intangibles are things you can't see or touch
luck is when opportunity meets preparation

opportunity was everywhere when:

the hurricane hit
week 1 postponed
lose your bye week
raekwon goes down
tannehill goes down
goat travel schedule
timmons goes awol
line coach doin lines
pouncey goes down
backup qb go down

they didn't cave , , , why is that
next man up , , , , , was he prepared
overcoming adversity , , , what does it take
strong mindset, intestinal fortitude, ample resilience
where do these things come from , , , , who instills them

again , , , i'm not sure it's either

I can touch this man , , I can see his players
I can see this handicapped team pull off double-digit
comebacks in consecutive weeks with backups everywhere

only men of great character could pull this off

the players get shortchanged a great deal

but this doesn't happen without gase

having tannehill would be luck

luck + intangibles = EPIC

OP raises a very, very interesting question. Right now Football Outsiders has us as the second worst 4-2 team in history, with last year's Texans a close 3rd. And it fits in very well with what I've seen, too. We've been extremely fortunate in three of our four wins -except the Jets, who suck and we barely beat at home with the biggest 4th quarter comeback of the year so far.

So we're magic! The big question is, is magic real? If magic is real, we can keep it up. If it's not, we're coming back down to earth, son. This is a serious question. The only people I'd trust to answer it are the Vegas hotshots who actually lay their money on the line and beat the house.

To them I ask, is magic real??

Well here’s to being the second worst 5-2 team in football history.

Back
Top Bottom