Interest between Dolphins & Alex Smith is REAL, Fins willing to spend big on Smith

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by FinAtic8480, Mar 19, 2012.

1. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

Before it was reported by the Denver Post I am proud to say I reported on this site the Dolphins were negotiating a contract with Alex Smith. Now I tell you negotiations continue through the night & are ongoing. It does not stop there, according to a source (I know this website hates the word, but bare with me) the fact Miami is throwing big money at Smith is a clear sign that indeed both side are interested in each other and speculation of leverage by fans & pundits that Smith is using Miami or Miami was using Smith is not true. Smith could very well take the deal Miami is offering & could land with the Dolphins.

There is more, the feeling in San Francisco (like every team that has hosted Manning) is they are about to land Manning, but I am told that the relation between Alex Smith & the 49ers has gotten so bitter that Smith & SanFran might not make up even if they fail to land Manning. Cisco is high on Kaepernick and if Smith parts & Manning chooses another team, Harbaugh is ready to make Kaepernick the starter. It would take a deal close to what Sanchez got to persuade Smith from leaving if SanFran misses on Manning & the 49ers don't want to tie themselves long term to Alex, they believe Colin is the QB of the future.

fishfanmiami likes this.
  2. hoops

hoops exited stage left

great...so we're gonna dump a bunch of money and a long term commitment in alex smith...be a much harder contract to get out of than the one flynn signed i'm sure of that

3. bobw999

bobw999 A True Fan

Should've just kept Chad Henne if this is truly the case.

4. NYPhinzFan

NYPhinzFan Scout Team Donator

I agree, I would've rather given Flynn what Seattle did. He knows this offense extremely well and his cap number would've been less than what they may eventually throw at Smith who I'm not impressed with in the slightest. I'd rather stick with Moore to be honest.

5. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

1.) It is not guaranteed Smith signs

2.) The number that keeps coming up is 8 million a year.

6. NYPhinzFan

I sure hope they see something in Smith that I don't see.

7. hoops

hoops exited stage left

those things are already obvious...but what matters is the guaranteed money...any talks about that???

8. AZStryker

AZStryker Pro Bowler

I really don't want Smith, especially if we have to overpay and twist his arm to come here.

9. Tiko377

Tiko377 A True Fan

whats kind of funny is Smith is ONE year older then flynn, and has all that exp and won in the playoffs.

i just don't know how i feel tho... what will be exciting tho is alex smith and reggie bush played on the same team in high school

10. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

According to reports the Dolphins truly believed Flynn was not worth his asking prize. Like Rosenhaus pointed out tonight, "If they wanted Flynn, they could've made it happen." Flynn was not a Dolphins priority.

11. jonanthans

jonanthans LES f**g MILES

Lol I forgot about that. I guess one ringing endorsement for AS was Bush once stated (when he was with New Orleans) that Smith was better than almost every Qb he had seen in the NFL after 2 seasons. Maybe their chemistry will make for a dangerous combo, I've always said that Bush needs to be catching passes out of the backfield to utilize him best.

12. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Who is Smith going to throw it to??!! We have no weapons.

13. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

Don't want to sound like an ahole, but you realize there will be a draft.

14. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Yeah well who and how many rookies are going to come in and play at a high level? You do realize that we may very well draft a passrusher with our 1st pick. So who do we get after that who can come in and be a big playmaker??!! We need more then 1 playmaker also.

15. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Philbin must not think much of FLynn at all, Seattle fans have a right to be nervous over that signing. Not sure how I feel about signing Smith.

16. KDog13

KDog13 "I See No Changes" - Tupac

8 mil for Smith....fml

Smith = Sparano; Always settling for FG's

Man we dropped the ball atm this offseason

17. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

i honestly think Seattle over paid for Flynn and if we can get Smith for money in the same range ( 8 million yr) and with a similar guaranted amount upfront (Hoops) I'd do it.
    The Bush contection is interesting.

18. NYPhinzFan

I deduced as much, but they think Smith is worth that kind of $?

19. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

I want to vomit. I really do not think much of Alex Smith.

That said, if we sign him I sure hope I'm proven to be dead wrong.

20. Elle Clouds

Elle Clouds A True Fan

This goes to show you that this team had no plan to fix the quarterback vacancy like they proclaimed. If they had a plan then Alex Smith wouldn't have been an option considering he was suppose to be still on the 49ers roster. This front office lie and will look stupid when the stadium is empty next season because they can't get us a competent quarterback. Serves them right for putting garbage on the field.

21. AZStryker

AZStryker Pro Bowler

How exactly is Smith any better than Moore??? WIth similar (or even slightly better) offensive talent, he managed 1 more td and about 300 more yards!!! That includes 3 extra games too! How does that translate into 8 mil. a year???

22. kloud_9

kloud_9 Well-Known Member

Who was smiths #2 option besides Davis? No ill wait..its a reason the 9ers just signed two starters.at least we know smith can put up decent #s without a slew of weapons like flynn in greenbay.if Phil didn't want him he must not be all that great! Period...

23. absoluteLance

absoluteLance For Head Coach

I miss ronnie brown throwing the ball.

24. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

www.twitter.com/StevenStriker

www.twitter.com/timkawakami

25. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

We were set to draft Alex if the 49er's passed. We took ronnie at #2. Smith has now fought his way back from complete bust to solid starter with playoff experiance and several come from behind games last year. 19 td and 5 ints proves it. He deserves stater pay(earned it)
    We have another chance to get him , Must be karma. good i hope.

26. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

This guy is just insignificant enough to sign with us. I think it will happen.

Smith probably doesn't realize how bad the stadium is. Or perhaps I'm not giving him enough credit. He's encouraged the boos will be coming from further away.

Big news for local tarp companies. If he's the quarterback, more upper deck seats need to be hidden than previously planned.

27. Lilseb93

Lilseb93 This Is My House

That's what I thought when they passed on Flynn. They seemed to think more highly of Smith than Flynn. If Philbin likes Smith, then I'll give him a chance. He's shown upside and improvement. Who knows?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012
  28. KDog13

Please say no Smith.....I'd rather sign Vince Young n just have Moore start another year. If we suck, we go after Barkley.

This year, stockpile on WR's in the draft...like my wishful wishlist below: Floyd n Hill

29. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

Hope he signs because the alternative is not that great. Lets hope GM can draft his first good QB if Smith does not sign. Listen to philbin in the draft or else!

30. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

Imagine Alex Smith was drafted in 2009 and evaluate him from there. His QB Rating has improved every single year for three years straight, less INTs each, more pass yards each year. Hell even his rushing avg has gone up. Best part he is only 27 years old.

31. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

I like when people are quick to point out Smith only thew 17 touchdowns, but never mention he only threw 5 interceptions.

32. J. David Wannyheimer

29th in passing yards. He was not effective in the red zone. You thought Tony Sparano liked field goals? Wait until you see Alex Smith running our red zone offense. Dan Carpenter will be a great fantasy pickup.

33. thefranchisedef

thefranchisedef A True Fan

when i watch film on alex smith, i see a smart quarterback who can make all the throws. He has good ball placement skills and has shown ability to play well in high pressure games. HE IS NOT ELITE! He can get us to 13-3 tho, which he has proven. He can win playoff games, which he has proven. He can be safe with the ball (17-5), which he has proven. so, Why not a game manager? Maybe thats what philbin wants?

I say we draft a quarterback but, I'll be content with Alex Smith.

34. flplaydoh

flplaydoh Scout Team

Sorry but I was never really happy about the prospect of Matt Fynn, the guy hasn't done anything he was a 7th round pick and really on had 2 games that were impressive. Smith on the other hand was the #1 overall, has plenty of NFL starting experience and is still very young! I would be happy with this signing if it happened!

35. thefranchisedef

thefranchisedef A True Fan

13-3.. Asked to be a game manager

36. J. David Wannyheimer

He can get a team to 13-3 in the worst division in the NFL, with the best defense in the NFL, with a top rushing attack. He has none of those things going for him in Miami.

He was not effective in the red zone. It was a huge problem area for the 49ers this season.

Smith is not a terrible quarterback, but this team is in trouble if we're going to throw 20+ million guaranteed at this guy.

37. DevilInPgh

DevilInPgh Rookie

I think Frank Gore and the defense had a lot more to do with 13-3 than Alex Smith.

This franchise lowballs Matt Flynn, but brings out the Brinks truck for Alex "the original Urban Meyer bust" Smith? That's why the Dolphins are quickly becoming the 2010's version of the Bungles.

38. MarshallFin1

MarshallFin1 Banned Hammered

i dont see how alex smith is much better than flynn. I guess u can say experience yea.

39. KDog13

Well said, Smith = Sparano

Also to those saying well he only threw 5 ints, thats great but the amount of times they settled for FG's...Tony Sparano would be proud....Also that D is a huge reason why they were 13-3. He showed up in the playoffs which is great and all but doesn't that remind u of Sanchez (Also shows up in the playoffs but sucks ******* in the regular season)

40. JerryD

JerryD A True Fan

Alex Smith will have us drafting Top Ten!! Moore might even beat him out.

If Smith is our QB ... many are not going to like the media's predictions & what they will say about us.