Ireland and Nepotism | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ireland and Nepotism

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Shows you how an incompetent baffoon can become the GM of our football team.
From the very top of the NFL, the league's owners, to the absolute bottom, the laundry room and ball boys, the NFL is about who you know.
Not what you know.
Jeff Ireland, the Dolphins' general manager, served as a ball boy with the Chicago Bears as a child. He became a scout because his grandfather was an NFL executive.
He landed his present position because Bill Parcells was impressed with him in Dallas, and brought him to Miami.
Ireland retained his position because former Kansas City Chiefs executive Carl Peterson, who is buddies with Dolphins owner Steve Ross, once hired him, and subsequently endorsed him to Ross.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...-rule-0111-20130111,0,4709154.story?track=rss

"Who you know", it's a fact of life in just about every profession.

Organizations and people hiring others they know, feel comfortable with and feel they are good at the job. Shocking!

Let's not forget these guys too!

Coaching_TreesGIF-1.gif

Maybe it's time to start consolidating all these Ireland threads - especially the oft-regurgitated ones into a merged "I Hate Ireland" Master Thread. Ya think? :idk:

Wait you mean a guy got an entry level job from his grandfather and worked his way up by himself and then he made friends with and impressed the people he worked for and they like that? You don't say?

Pretty much he was giftwrapped his Job, didnt have to earn it. Nice to know .

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

Organizations and people hiring others they know, feel comfortable with and feel they are good at the job. Shocking!

lol, anything is defendable eh? shocking.

Shows you how an incompetent baffoon can become the GM of our football team.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...-rule-0111-20130111,0,4709154.story?track=rss

A. It's not what you know but who you know...is a very real maxim in life in any situation

B. Although he received OPPORTUNITIES because of his connections, he has climbed his way up and kept his job through performing.

Look Ireland is one of the best GMs in the league. We are lucky we had him come when he did. The team has been built the right way, from the inside out. Now we have strong offensive and defensive front lines with veterans, and a ton of money and picks to go crazy on skill players, who will be able to maximize their talent BECAUSE we have strong lines (and a quarterback!)

baffoon he is not, your comment was baffoonish

Pretty much he was giftwrapped his Job, didnt have to earn it. Nice to know .

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

Ireland worked his way up over the years and made friends along the way. Just like every person in the NFL did, this is no different. It is easy to "defend" when a lot of the time what is posted is just pure nonsense. Just because something is posted doesn't make it an interesting topic or something that needs to be evaluated.

What isn't shocking is that you jumped into this thread supporting any negative tone. My guess is that you probably didn't even read this Omar article or the original post(perhaps just the headline?). You usually just take cliff note versions of a story and run with it as the absolute truth. It took you days to watch the Ross press conference yet you had a strong opinion about it just after it happened. Apparently a slanted cliff notes version from Armando told you all you needed to know. I deal with truths and facts, I don't like slanted views that leave out important parts of the story. I also like to deal with other people that also absorb everything and not just what they want to slant a view of something. Which is why I don't really respect your opinion anymore. The Ross thread told me all I needed to know about you.

Let's not forget these guys too!

Coaching_TreesGIF-1.gif

LOL at Herm Edwards not having anyone in his coaching tree.

Sam Wyche's coaching tree is like a family tree of someone from Kentucky...it does not fork (advanced apologies if you or someone you know is from Kentucky...)

Did you miss the part where it says that he got his present job because he impressed Bill Parcells, a person he is not related to?

Jeff Ireland has not done a good job on the whole, but this entire line of argument is laughable. People get hired every single day for much, much more questionable reasons than Jeff Ireland did.

Maybe it's time to start consolidating all these Ireland threads - especially the oft-regurgitated ones into a merged "I Hate Ireland" Master Thread. Ya think? :idk:

Exactly.

We're set up to have a great off season for the first time in lord knows how long. I don't understand why people can't just get behind Ireland instead of constantly taking shots at him. He's shown enough encouraging signs that he'll work well with Philbin to build a team capable of bringing playoff football back to South Florida next year.

It's win/win for all the naysayers anyway. Next year you'll either have a playoff team or Ireland will be gone.

Back
Top Bottom