Ireland"Core Players" Who Are They? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ireland"Core Players" Who Are They?

zodiak

Starter
Reaction score
dolfans

Im curious in an interview Jeff Ireland makes mention of "core players" and he is 2-3 away.

This got me thinking what are the core players on a football team(granted it might be different from team to team) however IMO I believe that these core players are QB,OT,DL(NT in 3-4),pass rusher,CB however if you look at the phins and try to ID the core players I come up with QB(henne),CB(smith-davis) and no others.

Whats more curious is he mentions WR as a core so perhaps he is speaking of Offense core & defense core dont know.

So if anyone has some info on this pass it along.

In closing I have always felt very good football teams are built from the line out and as we look over the phins that has been an approach but history shows that every winning team needs QB,OL,Pass rusher and DB
so we'll see how it plays out.

NT & 1 ILB and 1 Safety who strike "the fear of God" into the opponent and their own team..., these are missing...

I would think for us it would be NT, WR, and maybe MLB. Just a guess. The only one I am certain on is NT. This regime builds inside out and it is probably one of the most important positions in our scheme.

List names fellas, not positions. Jake Long for sure I agree. Along the OL I would say Carey and Thomas. Brown and Polite at RB. Bess is the only WR. Perhaps Fasano at TE but not convinced yet. Along the DL I would say Starks, Langford, Merling. LB are Wake and Crowder. DB are Smith, Davis, Clemons, Jones, and Bell.

That's 17 I listed as core players that Miami should build around and on. Miami should keep these guys and develop them. These can be the foundation of a championship.

Think of "core" like apple core..., apple core does not consist of 17 players nor does it consist of 10 players core is 5-6 and Ireland is saying we may be 3 players away from the core..., so temper your expectations...

Ireland's Core current one would think, likely includes Henne, Long and Corners Vontae (potentially SSmith) - Or Irelansd's lost confidence in himself - now Running backs aren't necessarily core - But Ronnie is huge in this offense still- lots of teams use 3-4 very effectively... "Core players" are also the one's you pay the higher prices for..., these aren't interchangeable pieces to the puzzle... You build around these guys...

Starks and langford are core. Smith and Davis are core. Long and Carey at tackle are core. I think Grove is core. Guards I feel like can be replaced easier but very good centers are hard to find. I hope Henne is core.
We are missing a core TE, core WR, and a core safety. Every great defense in the league right now has a great safety, Reed, Troy P, Bob Sanders ( not a great d but totally different with him in), it is such an important position. With Troy and Bob out those Defenses aren't nearly as good.

Starks and langford are core. Smith and Davis are core. Long and Carey at tackle are core. I think Grove is core. Guards I feel like can be replaced easier but very good centers are hard to find. I hope Henne is core.
We are missing a core TE, core WR, and a core safety. Every great defense in the league right now has a great safety, Reed, Troy P, Bob Sanders ( not a great d but totally different with him in), it is such an important position. With Troy and Bob out those Defenses aren't nearly as good.

This is more or less along the lines of my feelings. I would add that we lack a core MLB & if Fergison is done then add a core NT to that too.

I think we need a GOOD LB, a young, hungry playmaking LB, a NT and a WR. It would be great to get a blue chip LB.

I think when Ireland talks about core players he is referring to the guys that they've either drafted or traded for in the past 2 years.

Ginn is not one of their core guys. :d-day:

I beleive with core you are looking at contributions with a blend of youth to take into account.
So Henne, Polite, Brown, Williams, Long, Carey, Grove, Fields, Carptendar, Denny, Starks, Langford, Davis, Smith, Jones make my first list because of youth, talent
Guys like Bess, Hartline, Taylor, Bell, Fasano, Smiley, Merling and Thomas are good arguments and would be on my list to be there also
Jury is out starting with Crowder, Ferg and Allen becuase of age and injuries, Ginn as a returner, Wake because we have not played him consistently enough to determine, Paul St NT because he "was" playing well right unitil he injured that ankle at NE, Tony McDaniel is a unsung heroe on that DL and fills mutible positions and Joey Porter who is limited by injuries and his mouth sometimes.
Guys I am hoping to come along more (some I may have mentioned already) are Clemons, Culver, Wake Paul St, Greg C. (I believe his knee is still an issue), Tobor??, Nate Gardner and J Haynos.

Back
Top Bottom