Ireland mentioned in USA Today story on alleged NFL illegal interview practices | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ireland mentioned in USA Today story on alleged NFL illegal interview practices

I would be shocked if the Dolphins are involved on the sexuality front. First of all, Joe Philbin is a class act. He may be a disciplinarian but he handles himself well.

There are obviously a high volume of dumb asses in the NFL culture. Filbin is not one of them. And Ireland has learned his lesson.

Where Ireland went wrong:

Dez: "My dad was a pimp and my mama worked for him."

Jeff (on a Mulligan): "Did your mom get paid in rocks or just $5 bills??"

Last edited by a moderator:
This current situation with Nick Kasa is extremely similar to the situation that occurred with Jeff Ireland and Dez Bryant.

1. Both questions are highly, highly inappropriate questions

2. Both questions could be "explained" as merely rational extensions of (slightly) less absurd lines of prior questioning

3. Both questions imply that the answer to said question matters in the evaluation and therefore you may discriminate against the candidate based on something over which he has no control.

This current situation with Nick Kasa is extremely similar to the situation that occurred with Jeff Ireland and Dez Bryant.

1. Both questions are highly, highly inappropriate questions

2. Both questions could be "explained" as merely rational extensions of (slightly) less absurd lines of prior questioning

3. Both questions imply that the answer to said question matters in the evaluation and therefore you may discriminate against the candidate based on something over which he has no control.

I hope the NFL does crack down on inappropriate questions, Im not sure why some fans think that the NFL shouldnt be subject to the same responsibilities that every other company has when questioning.
Ireland as a professional was wrong in any case for asking if Bryant's mother was a prostitute, its an irrelevent question that has nothing to do with Bryant as a football player. That being said its in the past and everyone seems to be over it and Im sure Ireland has learned from his mistake. Im over it and I dont hold it against Ireland we all make mistakes(now the rest of resume as GM here I do hold against him). I hope whatever team is questioning people's sexuality gets a stern fine, for some reason I doubt that its the dolphins.

I dont get fans that think that somehow the NFL is not subject to the same standards when interviewing people that any other company is because of money involved. The money is all relative. I personally understand if I get asked certain questions because its a matter of national security in my job and even then certain questions are out of bounds.

wahhh wahhh, people are still crying in the media about Dez Bryant and his hooker mother.

Ireland wasn't wrong. The Bryant family is filth. He needed to make sure that if we drafted the kid he wouldnt get into any issues because of his mom

and alas, she is causing his crazy self problems, especially when he pimp slapped her.

seriously though, if you tell someone that your dad is a pimp and your mom works for him, what else is there to believe?

wahhh wahhh, people are still crying in the media about Dez Bryant and his hooker mother.

Ireland wasn't wrong. The Bryant family is filth. He needed to make sure that if we drafted the kid he wouldnt get into any issues because of his mom

and alas, she is causing his crazy self problems, especially when he pimp slapped her.

seriously though, if you tell someone that your dad is a pimp and your mom works for him, what else is there to believe?

just hope u never have to interview anybody for a company lol. How did that question determine anything about Bryant. None of his issues have came from his mom and in actuality he has had no major issues and is damn good nfl receiver,

Irregardless of the motive of the questions, both the league offices and the NFL player union are in complete agreement that all national, state and local employment laws must be followed by the teams. If you have ever been in a position where you have interviewed a potential employee, you are made aware by HR that there are certain questions you can not ask because they are against the law to ask. Questions regarding sexual orientation are on that list.

but how often do people interview for multi million dollar jobs? the "interviews" aren't an interview, its a team talking to a player granted by the league, HR has nothing to do with it, but if you want to call it an interview, the HIRING process is different and more complex so the INTERVIEWS must be as well

i had NO problem with it when Ireland asked Bryant about his mom, i LAUGHED, and look how long it took for Dez to get his act together...what 4-5 years??? QUESTION was warrented.

EMPTY BARRELS make the most noise, point blank,

but how often do people interview for multi million dollar jobs? the "interviews" aren't an interview, its a team talking to a player granted by the league, HR has nothing to do with it, but if you want to call it an interview, the HIRING process is different and more complex so the INTERVIEWS must be as well

i had NO problem with it when Ireland asked Bryant about his mom, i LAUGHED, and look how long it took for Dez to get his act together...what 4-5 years??? QUESTION was warrented.

dont agree and what is Ireland a damn shrink lol. These are not just talking these are interviews for potential hires, the money is irrelevent people are possibly being hired based on these idiotic questions.
What did he gain from asking the question? Nothing. So if a person's mom is a prostitute it makes them less likely to be a good football player. That line of questioning follows no known logic. John Hinkley had stellar parents on paper and yet still wasnt a very stable person.

Maybe Dez shouldn't have been so transparently forthcoming with his replies. It's obvious that he's far from the sharpest knife in the drawer, as evidenced by the way he let that yahoo hack Adam Silver exploit this question to sensationalize it for his own aggrandizement - never realizing that going public would out his felon, previously jailed mommy as a crack whore.

Perhaps Dez should have been more diplomatic: "My mom's a poultry farmer - over the years she's raised 1000s of ****s" ya think?

Both this time and when Ireland asked Dez are both wholly inappropriate. You are representing our team and a multimillion dollar company in the NFL and you do not know that asking such things is wrong. It boggles the mind to think that these "professionals" and some of the forum goers here think that these cases are alright. There are other ways to get a rise out of players in the interview process if that is what they wanted, this was just BS pure and simple.

Maybe Dez shouldn't have been so transparently forthcoming with his replies. It's obvious that he's far from the sharpest knife in the drawer, as evidenced by the way he let that yahoo hack Adam Silver exploit this question to sensationalize it for his own aggrandizement - never realizing that going public would out his felon, previously jailed mommy as a crack whore.

Perhaps Dez should have been more diplomatic: "My mom's a poultry farmer - over the years she's raised 1000s of ****s" ya think?

people with all kinds of parents wind up all kinds of ways. Its easy to joke at Bryant's expense but Im sure many football players have less than stellar families they grew up with and still turned into productive people.
The same could be said of some people from so called stellar familes. My mom love her to death had a drinking problem as I grew up and yet somehow I have never had a drinking problem or any other problem with law. Im pretty sure if a company had asked me if she was a drunk it would have been a pretty useless question. The army trusts me with million dollar equipment and actual weapons and they seemed less than interested if my mom was a drunk.

Both this time and when Ireland asked Dez are both wholly inappropriate. You are representing our team and a multimillion dollar company in the NFL and you do not know that asking such things is wrong. It boggles the mind to think that these "professionals" and some of the forum goers here think that these cases are alright. There are other ways to get a rise out of players in the interview process if that is what they wanted, this was just BS pure and simple.

Its silly to act like they ask these questions to get a rise out of people, I mean why not say racial crap to see what happens and then justify it lol. Hopefully the team( not the dolphins) that is asking sexuality questions gets a hefty fine.

So let me get this straight if a job has a salary over a certain amount National Labor Laws do not have to be followed in the interview process?

dont agree and what is Ireland a damn shrink lol. These are not just talking these are interviews for potential hires, the money is irrelevent people are possibly being hired based on these idiotic questions.
What did he gain from asking the question? Nothing. So if a person's mom is a prostitute it makes them less likely to be a good football player. That line of questioning follows no known logic. John Hinkley had stellar parents on paper and yet still wasnt a very stable person.

again, the line of questioning isnt 100 percent but i would believe that it is effective in rattling the player if the player is weak mentally, if it wasn't, it wouldnt be such a mainstay in the process

Back
Top Bottom