Ireland quote..

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Danny68, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Danny68

Danny68 Dolphins on 3! Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2013
  2. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Essentially, he's saying if I'm going to be fired I rather it be done following my own convictions as oppose to someone else's. I personally have no problem with that as long as he's willing to listen to others and take their suggestions, assuming they are valid into consideration also.

3. Patrick_Bateman

Patrick_Bateman Rookie

If history repeats itself in the draft and then repeats itself during the season, i.e. our fifth consecutive losing season, then he has to go. If history repeats itself in the draft, BUT the team actually improves then he is right to not give a **** about what the fans think.

4. ButchFragrance

ButchFragrance Well-Known Member

I think if you listen to anything he says this time of year I need to remind you about- "The #1 pick has to be a guy who will anchor your defense for years"

5. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Well thats what he should always go with although, I personally could care less about his imsight until he proves himself a good gm

6. Dolphinator530

Dolphinator530 Well-Known Member

Well then this board will go crazy because according to most armchair GM's WE NEED SEXY DRAFT PICS MANNNNNNNN. If Patterson is available and we take Lane Johnson (assuming we dont sign Long) oh man this board will crash haha.

Just use the money and picks to make the team better Ireland. If you and the staff think that Lane Johnson will make us better or picking a guard up in FA will help RT develop then GO FOR IT.

7. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

If I was an NFL GM, I'd never care what fans thought. The vast majority of fans are incomprehensibly stupid.

8. maso3348

maso3348 Scout Team

I didn't hear or read the full interview but I interpret it as he has no problem with taking an O-lineman with the first pick similar to what he has done in the past.

9. circumstances

circumstances Starter

why would an NFL gm give a rat's a$$ about "public perception," ever? "the public" are not professional football people, and have zero to do with the entire process of team building.

10. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Whats better? An average line with above average skill position players or an above average line with average skill position players?
    This is where I think conventional thinking has been hurting us....

Let me frame the question another way whats more dangerous?

1) You have the best o-line in football throwing to Brain Hartline?
    2) You have an average o-line throwing to Desean Jackson?

11. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

I had enough of Ireland last season. His picks as backwards. He should have taken wr in the early rounds and tackle,te,and rb in the later rounds. At this point I am just waiting on the firing. Hopefully we will get another player or two and he can keep what we have intact without creating more holes. I hope these picks are his so he cannot deflect the blame.

12. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

What his eyes are telling him....

Junc, are you Jeff Ireland?

13. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

thats exactly my philosophy. This isnt politics where your trying to get elected. Your trying to keep your job.

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

not a tannehill fan huh? lol

14. Mogwai

Mogwai Seasoned Veteran

:lol: That means just one thing. He's drafting oline in the 1st round and is basically telling the fans to go **** themselves. There's a critical difference between arrogance and confidence. When someone's history includes 4 straight losing seasons and multiple failed visions, there should be some level of humility, self reflection, and an openness to getting better.

15. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

so they are basically just like Jeff Ireland

16. z926538

z926538 Rookie

Isn't the General Manager also responsible for ticket sales? He had damn well better care about what the fans think. GMs with empty stadiums don't last long.

17. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

If he drafts offensive line in the first round I guarantee there will be supporters here saying he made the right choice. :lol: Ridiculous.

18. BMarshAllDay

BMarshAllDay Active Member

If you read the quote as part of the article, Ireland is referring to the "public perception" (draft experts) who said Tannehill was a reach and Pouncey was a reach. Ireland is saying he cares more about what his eyes and what his scouts say about a player, not about what Mel Kiper or Todd McShay or Mike Mayock or Charley Casserly or anyone else in the media believes a player should be taken.

Ireland is not referring to the fans at all. Pouncey is one of the best young centers and Tannehill looks like he could be legit with some actual weapons around him.

I have no problem with what Ireland said, especially when you take into consideration the context in which he said it.

19. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

When my eyes first glanced over this, I thought this said "Ireland quit."

I was expecting a parade, confetti and projectile corks.

20. herndonsr

herndonsr Well-Known Member

the dolphins or ross should of fired him it is a wrong to let him screw us for another year he will mess up this drafe look at his track record he sucks

21. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

bla bla bla

22. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Well we are stuck with this so far below average gm , we can only hope he does a better job. Hoping is one thing but evidence doesnt show that I think he will

23. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

Problem is, does anyone actually trust Ireland to put actual weapons around him?

24. Playmaker76

Playmaker76 Well-Known Member

I am ok with picking O-line in the first round but ONLY if we have already addressed the WR position through free agency by signing either Wallace, Jennings, or Bowe.

25. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

In reality I dont think anyone does but there are those to that like to believe he just collected a check for years and blame all bad decisions on Parcells

26. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Ireland meets with the media, select "fans" extract one quote from the session, misinterpret it, and proceed to rip Ireland to meet their monthly bash quota.

27. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Personally i dont think he was referring to the fans but I think we have every right to bash a gm that has lead us to 4 straight losing seasons.

28. Nublar7

Doesn't matter if it was Ireland, Ross or Dee. Anytime these guys make public statement their words always get twisted to paint a negative story. It isn't always "fans" that do it, the media is at fault for doing this also. When they announced Ireland was going to speak at the combine the first thought in my mind was what quote would the media or "fans" twist into something negative or attempt to make him look clueless or arrogant. You know that if the Dolphins struggle this upcoming season that "fans" will start dissecting Joe Philbin's quotes and twisting them. We all know that Ireland is not a popular figure among some "fans", I don't need the constant reminders. I would rather have educated conversations about free agency and the draft instead of the "I hate Ireland", "Ireland should have been fired", "he is going to fail this offseason" one liners.

Thank God for VIP.

29. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Why should Ireland be popular among fans. Losing coaches are not popular and neither are gms. I dont hate Ireland I just dont think he has done a good job overall as our gm which is quite well reflected in 4 straight losing seasons . Im pretty sure plenty of people on this website can give you an intelligent conversation on why they dont think Ireland has done a good job. If Ireland was considered a good gm by the fans it would be the reverse situation with people saying how genius he was each time he spoke. Success has a way of making people respect what you say more. Ireland has not earned the respect of the majority of the fan base thus comes the negative when he speaks out.

30. Valandui

Four straight losing seasons and the worst stretch in team history will cause that. If they want that to change, they should try learning how to run an NFL team.

31. Nublar7

The above post has been posted so many times by many of the same "fans" the past couple of months. I am more concerned about what the team is going to do next month in free agency and in April in the draft. I am not ignoring the past I just think the one liners about how much some "fans" think they suck or that they need to "try learning how to run an NFL team" have been beaten into our heads quite a bit, wouldn't you agree? I am excited about the upcoming offseason, the national perspective is positive for the Dolphins upcoming offseason, there is no need to keep crying because Ireland was retained. This is a make or break year for him, if they succeed he is gets a contract extension. If he fails he won't be re-signed, it is just that simple.

Go Dolphins!

32. Chance29

Chance29 Rookie

Agreed if we fix the wr position in FA resign fasano and Clemons and Long walks I think it's highly possible we go tackle at 12 might be the best value at a position on need for us. We can't go out and spend big to surround our young qb with weapons then offer him no protection. If Long walks we have a major need for oline

33. Valandui

I'm more nervous about this offseason. I've seen no evidence that he's learned from his past mistakes, so I can't really be optimistic that he has. I hope he proves me wrong, but expecting him to based on absolutely nothing would be setting myself up for disappointment.

34. Valandui

OL or DT should not be considerations at all in the first round. It would make more sense to double down on pass rushers or fill the holes that we created for no apparent reason at WR or CB. Throwing another high pick at the OL would be stagnation.

35. Nublar7

Ireland alone has never had this much cap space to work with and the team really hasn't been active in free agency the past couple of years because they were close to the cap. Signing stop gap free agents to one year deals doesn't count as being active in free agency. The Dolphins signed one free agent last year to a multi year deal and he ended up in the starting lineup in week one. I am not going to compare past free agents signings like Hicks and Guyton to what is likely going to happen this offseason. Ireland's draft last year looks very good on paper at this point and the early returns were successful(of course some fans will immediately point to Egnew while ignoring the rest of the draft).

This is going to be a very exciting offseason for the Dolphins, I can't wait. Go Dolphins!

36. aquaman54

aquaman54 Starter

When I think of Ireland,I always think of my favorite quote from The Outlaw Josey Wales........."Don't Piss Down My Back,And Tell Me It's 'Rainin"!!! I don't believe ANYTHING that has or ever will come out of his mouth!!!

37. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Bill Parcells.

38. mnphinfan

mnphinfan Lifelong Fin Fan

No evidence? So drafting Tannehill in the 1st & Martin in the 2nd, the exact opposite of Long in the 1st and Henne in the 2nd, isn't proof. It's statements like the one above which shows just how fans are willing to disregard the truth to further their agenda.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Nublar7 likes this.
  39. Valandui

So throwing another high pick (yes, an second rounder is a high pick) at an OL that continues to suck after investing a bunch of high picks and stupid amounts of FA money into it is evidence of change? Tannehill was a great pick, but he's hardly evidence of a change in philosophy or even a divergence from the Parcells philosophy as QB is a position that Parcells has never had a problem spending high picks on before.

40. Valandui

He didn't have cap space because of his own FA blunders. He only has it now because those contracts have expired and he's letting his own draft picks walk yet again. Think about that for a minute. The guy has yet to re-sign a single draft pick that he has made since being here.