Ireland's approval rating

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by roy_miami, Sep 12, 2012.

?

Do you like Ireland and his direction?

1. yes

81 vote(s)
    24.2%
  2. no

254 vote(s)
    75.8%
  1. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

I'm going to keep this simple because a lot of people may not like the job hes doing but don't want him fired for various other reasons. So simply put, do you like what he's done with the team so far?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2012
  2. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

I held out hope that his drafts would be his saving grace. As of this moment, that doesn't appear to be the case. If his draft picks from the past 3 years don't contribute in major ways this season, its time to move on. We need fresh blood, especially since most of the fanbase hates Ireland, so every move is hyper criticized, which ultimately is destructive to the team.

3. MiZFiT

MiZFiT FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Whether I like it or not (and I don't), he won't be fired any time soon.

4. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

So far 3 mediocrity lovers voted yes.

5. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

No I don't. I believe he's been pretty bad at drafting. ow having said that is hard to judge this last draft just yet. But I was very upset we took a RT in the 2nd round when we should have taken a WR and if Martin turns out to be a good player9which I think he will)then great but it was still the wrong decision imo.

Ozzy rules!!

6. Dolphins7273

Dolphins7273 Banned Hammered

That man doesn't belong in the NFL any more than most of us on this message board.

7. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

Im gonna hold judgement for more than 1 game. Talk to me in week 8.

8. Phantom

Phantom Phantom Donator

How the hell can anyone look at that roster and vote yes? I guess it's amazing what you can get used too.

9. Cleetus

Cleetus Well-Known Member

4 people are Jet fans i guess

10. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

No. No matter how we judge his time here its been a mess.

If we judge it by "Hes been paid for 5 years as general manager and had decision making ability for at least part of that": then no. This team's earlier drafts are blank marks on this roster. 1 player from the 2008 draft is left, and the 2009 draft isnt much better. Our free agent signings were horrifically bad and have forced us to sit pat this offseason.

If we judge this by "Hes only been general manager for 2 years because Parcells did everything": then no. These last two years were just awful. He bought high and sold low on the talent department. And some of the decisions were absolutely mind boggling. Legedu Naanee? Benny Sapp over Will Allen? Marc freaking Colombo? We needed a quarterback last offseason, and every single one in the draft was available except for Cam Newton....and we draft a center. Then trade up for a running back who fumbles and runs upright. Meanwhile other teams fill their voids at center and running back without a problem later in the draft. Mind Boggling.

If we judge this by "Hes hasnt been general manager because first Parcells was here, then Sparano took over, now Philbin was given control of the team...": :bobdole:

11. BG12DM13CP10

BG12DM13CP10 Well-Known Member

...or dolphins employees, or losers..

12. ATL_PHIN_FAN

ATL_PHIN_FAN Winner Under Construction

I'm sorry OP, this is not a yes or no question to me. I believe there's too much we don't know about Ireland's intentions. It very well could be that this past couple of drafts turn out to be OK. He's certainly set us up for a great upcoming draft for skill positions and plenty of cap space for a great FA as well. I will have to abstain. LOL, call me a Jets fan if you like. But, you know that's not true.

13. dolfaneric12

dolfaneric12 Sucker Free Sunday

I like the fact Ireland finally drafted a QB in the first round after years of previous regimes not doing so. Hate him for the fact that besides Jake Long, the team doesn't have any elite players.

14. Kyndig

Kyndig Seasoned Veteran Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

I like that he drafted Tannehill which was a no brainier, I like how we are set next year. I don't trust he will draft well
    with all those extra picks, don't trust him, hate what he did with the receiver position and it's inexcusable that the online is still
    not that strong all things considered.

15. KTOWNFINFAN

KTOWNFINFAN Seasoned Veteran

Can we please just state our opinions without calling everyone a jet fan that disagrees with us??
    I personally like Jeff from what we have been able to see of him. I like his attitude, the way he treats players, and the fact that so many trouble makers don't like him. I like how tough he negotiates, how he doesn't sign every big name FA that comes along just because fans want him to. I like that he has put us in pretty good cap situation.

But after all the things I like about him are put up vs the talent of the team I have to say that as much as I like him, I don't trust him being in charge of our draft. I have changed my mind about him and am ready for a change, even though it may mean starting over a bit. I think Ross should quietly be looking for GMs that would be willing to work with Philbin so that we don't have to once again change the direction of the team. I don't dislike Ireland, but I have seen about all that I need to see to know that he will never bring in superior talent.

OH and BTW if you don't agree with EVERYTHING I said you are a low life jet fan :up:

16. Finland

Finland Pro Bowler

If he was really confident in his picks he would have traded up for RG3 and made a real statement.

17. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

I guess we should tried to trade up for luck instead. wait you probably don't want luck because RGIII clearly is on the fast track to canton after one game.

18. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Yep. RG3 had a nice game but that Saints team was absolutely putrid. He won't put up 40 points throwing bubble screens every week. Just like Ryan Tannehill isn't going to throw two picks off of batted balls next week.

Well, I assume they're not, anyway.

19. Finland

Finland Pro Bowler

Willbill3, Luck was not to be had in a trade but RG3 was, that is the difference. And it has nothing to do with his "one game" I think he is great. So far he looks and acts great too. Yes I would have made the trade for a QB that was not a project we have had enough of those. I hope Tannehill pans out as much as you at this point. Listen, I have HATED the Redskins since they beat Miami in 1983, and I don't really like Shanahan either, but I gave them big props for the move and even bigger when they added another QB to boot. It is what Maimi has needed for ages. I applaud things I like, and I liked that move by Washington. Good for them. I'm a football fan as well as a Dolphins fan. We need someone picking players that has some balls like that!

20. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Free Agency- Starks, Wake, Soliai, Dansby, Burnett, Marshall, Cog, Naanee, Moore, Bess, Javorski.

Trades- Bush, Fasano, McD,

Draft- Long, Pouncey, Martin, Jerry, Clay, Hartline, Thomas, Tannehill, Miller, Odrick, Shelby, Vernon, Misi, Smith, Jones, Clemons, Wilson.

That's what we have after 5 years, and not knowing who did what, when or how. Ireland has been in the mix. How do you like your team?

21. PBay Fin Fan

PBay Fin Fan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Bush has been good, wake and incignito as well. Pouncy is a Dwight Stevenson, Putting his faith in one or two of the young guys stepping up as a good receiver was a huge blunder. I think he got the right head coach which is huge. No he is not great but who else is out there. We need some stability, I think it was JP who wanted Marshall and Vontae gone because they would not give 100% and be TEAM players which is what Philbin demands. Any body in management likes the trainable, hard woorking,team orientated employees over the talented pain in the arse every time. If T-hill becomes great, he will be a genius. An elite QB makes everyone better.

22. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

Everyone is overreacting. still. you just want to fire a guy for the sake of firing a guy. What then? Whats your answer? Why now? It makes absolutely no sense at this point in time.

You want to ***** about it? ok ***** about it, but the man aint going anywhere for 16 weeks at least. maybe, maybe sooner in a few weeks before end of season.

But all of you are overreacting to the past. This is a new regime. If you think about it, our RB and QB situation is superb. Just take a look around the league sometime and compare. We just found an acorn who can return kicks, but still all we hear is crap. We found a RT in Martin, who will be just fine, but as soon as he lets one sack in, he is complete crap. The nonsense spewed on here sometimes reminds me of kids on the lot. Our Oline is looking good minus some inexperience and some fine tuning.

Bottom line for me is we are one star WR and CB away from being great while Thill gets experience. Our roster is not as bad as the media makes it out to be. Mark my words, the Buffalo Bills are going to be so far worse than us come game 16. This team is not far off on paper.

I cant stand Naanee. It is the one thing Ireland truly screwed up but to suggest that every GM out there gets it right all the time is crazy. Truth is, they f up all the time!

The only reason why Ireland is so bad is cus of dez bryant. people hate him for that.

23. Cleetus

Cleetus Well-Known Member

I fail to agree with your optimism, I do not see any of our positions as superb. The man in charge of our talent has created a mediocrity at best and if this season follows like the last few I would hope for an overhaul in the front office as I do not want the current green grocer picking my acorns in the next FA period or draft. How much longer do you supporters want to give this front office?

24. Adam First

Adam First Don't Hate Miami Finheaven VIP Donator

The fact that he hasn't signed any veteran wideouts (Anthony Armstrong doesn't count) has really rubbed me the wrong way

And to see Clyde Gates bomb out, another mid-round draft choice wasted, just makes things worse.

At this point, I don't see him surviving this year especially if we lose more than 10 games. 7-9 seems to be the saving grace though. :rolleyes2:

25. AdamC13

AdamC13 Awe "Tight End" my favorite position!

:lol: This was week 65 under Ireland.

26. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

So this would have been a 'great' team with Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis? It was kind of stupid to get rid of them I guess. Then again "great" can be a relative word, by "great" do you mean not the worst team in the league?

27. ATL_PHIN_FAN

Put that way, I'd have to say it's a great base to build from. However, no way that should have taken 5 years. 3 to 4 years sounds about right to get what we have there. It is by no means a complete team. I understand why people are pissed. But, like I said, this is a solid base to build from and it will be a nearly complete team next year.

Following years should be just holding onto what we have and adding gravy as opportunities arise. It's also a very young team, so we'll be able to comfortably draft need in high rounds without much guilt or question as to what those needs are as players age.

28. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator Donator

hmmmmmmm…

no

29. SabanHater

SabanHater ***** in the House!

I can't imagine anyone being pleased with the results of the past 3 years.

30. 67Stang

67Stang FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I would put his rating below Obamas, that says it all!

31. Phantom

Phantom Phantom Donator

Talk about over reacting, We have a rookie qb who has played 1 game, threw 3 ints in 2 min., and thats called superb.

32. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

LOL.

16 people now...

Unreal, that they think Ireland is a good GM...

33. DcDolfan420

DcDolfan420 Banned Hammered

He's not perfect by any means, but we don't draft players like Jaquan Jarrett early in the second at least. The Patriots missed on Marriweather also so they all make mistakes. Ireland has his share too (Gates) but I like Ireland because 1. I like Daniel Thomas 2. I like Lamar Miller in the 4th 3. Pouncy WAS the correct pick. 4. Odrick and Misi for the 12th overall pick that year was pretty damn good imo 4. Jones and CLemons were steals 5. Bess 6. I like his cheap *** philosophy and how he gives opportunities to guys like Nolan Caroll who EARN IT. 7. He is highly intelligent and hard working imo and we have a great roster imo again it just isn't going to mesh overnight.

34. HarryBagpipe

HarryBagpipe Archibald Meatpants Super Donator

A great base to build on? Holy crap am I living in an alternate universe. Under what criteria does that constitute a great foundation? Seriously, I think Ireland could take a dump in a bucket, put a mr potato head eyes mustache and lips on it, call it our new starting wr and some people would say "good job Jeff"

35. ATL_PHIN_FAN

(shrugs) I guess we don't value players the same way. Oh well . .

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2012
  36. HarryBagpipe

HarryBagpipe Archibald Meatpants Super Donator

Wow. I guess some people are just gonna see what they want to see

37. Jeep

Jeep Premium Member Donator

I totally agree with you.. To fire Jill Ireland now would be shear stupidity.. but he must be added on the "To be Fired" list.. Everything about Ireland reeks like dog poo.. but the man has kept the cap under control... Start putting the feelers out there that a new GM position will be open soon and lets see what kinda responses we get..

38. Pinkboy

Pinkboy Banned Hammered

:lol2::lol2::lol2:

39. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

lol. eveyrone was stomping on irelands **** before the draft and after the marshall trade. then after the draft everyone was happy with the draft, and looking forward to the season. then what changed? a vontae trade and 4 preseason losses and one regular season loss. now you guys are back to stomping on ireland's ****. some people are just as predictable as the dolphins regular season record.

40. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

Yep, and it's the usual suspects too with their not-so-insightful "if you like just one thing Ireland has done here, you are a mediocrity lover" arguments.