Is anyone else having trouble keeping their mouth shut?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by The Goat, Jun 15, 2017.

1. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

I want to jump up and down.

I haven't been this excited for a season in nearly two decades. Maybe...MAYBE when the Fins traded for Ricky. Here are the things I keep coming back to:

• We have a head coach who isn't an idiot or a meatball.
    • We have the best QB situation since '99.
    • We have the best *physical* RB since Ricky
    • We have the best WR crew in a decade
    • This might be the best OL situation Tannehill has ever had.
    Couple that with Reshad coming back, Xavien Howard in his second year, improvement at LB...and it's hard to not get excited. You can feel it every time that a player speaks. The brotherhood, as Andre branch called it. No more circus sideshows with Brandon Gibson acting as Mike Wallace's sock puppet. No more stupid Philbinesque crap. No more idiocy.

No...more.

Do I think the Fins challenge for a title this year? No.

But with a little luck, and better health, the Fins are going to put a hurting on some teams this year.

I cannot wait for Tampa Bay in the home opener. I can't wait for Tannehill to smoke Brent Grimes and then watch the denizens of Finheaven's faithful toast Miko on Twitter. I can't wait for midseason, as this team continues to grow, and finally the talking heads have to shut up.

I can't wait for the Fins to do their talking on the field. And I'm trying like crazy to not talk until then.

2. coalesce

coalesce Dolphin Fan since 1974

The only time I have problems keeping my mouth shut is when I eat.

And yes, I'm definitely sharing in your enthusiasm. I can't WAIT for the season to start!

Ikema and Beach Bum 91 like this.
  3. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater Not Quite A Shredder Finheaven VIP

Im always probably overly optimistic for fins seasons in general, but as you point out there are so many reasons to be excited. Everywhere on the roster its added talent, more time in the system, better depth, guys that should be right in their prime, and Gase in his second season, one more year to mold the team to his liking. That team consistency that he keeps preaching - no "learning new system..again"....Heck yes im excited

spiketex and coalesce like this.
  4. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

I never keep my mouth shut :D

5. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Agreed, but I usually don't try to go to in depth talking us up unless I'm talking to some other die hard fan of any team. casuals.... meh

But about the Bucs, I hope Grimes gets lit the f*** up. I really like him as a person and player, but he wasn't good for us anymore, and his wife is just a raging piece of ****

JakeemThe Dream and TheJetsBlow like this.
  6. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

I am also excited. The funny thing is that Vegas and some in the NFL media don't see it. Jim Miller on Sirius NFL said that he can't see the Dolphins winning more than 2 away games and predicts that the team will crash badly after making the playoffs last year. Vegas sees us going 7 - 9.
    Yes, I'm an optimist by nature but we have a good young coach now in his second season, the most talent that has been on a Dolphins roster in the past 20 years. We have focused on addressing problem areas like stopping the run by recruiting players like William Hayes and Lawrence Timmons. We have acquired a genuine Tight End threat in Julius Thomas, who happens to have had success with Gase in Denver. We have a terrific young RB in Ajayi who is likely to improve. And we appear to have drafted well.
    All the arrows are pointing up for a change.

coalesce likes this.
  7. Snoop

Snoop A True Fan

Take the over on the total. Jameis, Evans, Jackson and Martin will march up and down the field on us.

8. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan

Best WR crew in a decade? Probably the best WR crew in over 25 years. In '92 we had an aging Duper and Clayton, Tony Martin, and Keith Jackson at TE. Due to age and production I think this year is better at WR than that. Before that you have to go back to the beginning of the Marino era to find a group that compares to this year. If all goes well with the group it can be the best group we have ever had.

kcbrown likes this.
  9. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Well, there are a lot of reasons for optimism :
    • 2nd year of the offense and the OC
    • Gase continues to impress
    • Our better FAs retained
    • Their retention helping the culture in the camp
    • The work ethic appears to be off the charts with almost everyone
    • Inconsistent players being honest about their failings (Grant, Phillips, James, Drake, Bushrod, Parker, Lippett) and seeming to have improved so far
    • All important playes bar Pouncey are fit
    • A lot of holes have been filled by the FO
    • The depth at QB, WR, CB, S (when TJ returns), LB and DE all look very good.
    • Special Teams stars retained and bolstered with more new recruits
    • Great stadium, facilities and front office.
    Against that we have to accept the possible downsides:
    • Tougher schedule this year. I dont care what anyone says about how we say that every year, it's harder.
    • Depth at TE, RB, DT and all OL sees a big dropoff.
    • Defense needs huge work and the DC is "new", if not to Miami then to the job.
    • We're in the hardest division to win in the league.
    • Slot corner, DT beside Suh and interior OL are still question marks.
    • We won't have the element of surprise with the O scheme, Ajayi, Stills' resurgence etc that we had last year
    Most of the negatives are outside the team's control and I love how they seem really focused on themselves and on improvement. Everyone else is trying to improve too so we'll have to see who is progressing the best at season's end. All in all though, I expect much improved performances this year and we'll have to see whether that translates into more wins or not.

Either way, everything about the Dolphins is more exciting than its been in a long while.

10. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

That right there is what tempers my enthusiasm about this season...and I'll add linebacker because I still think it's a weak corp...better than last year but last years linebacker play was an abomination to football.

11. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

We might just want to stay away from Brent Grimes. He's STILL playing at high level. Nothing would be worse than to have him run one back. They have an abundance of weapons on offense but their Achilles heal should be the left side of their line. Branch and Harris could have big days, not to mention Jordan Phillips. They are better on the right side but still no match for Suh and Wake (or Hayes).

I think they will be really tough to run on up the middle. McCoy and newly added Chris Baker will shore up that interior. It will be a tough game for sure.

Back to the main topic....I have to agree. I am very optimistic and excited. Going from laughing stock of the league to where we are has been incredible. I love that the team is like one unit. These guys seem to be very close-knit. I love the family atmosphere Gase has created. Nobody would go to war for Joe Philbin and his staff but these guys trust Gase and genuinely like him. We learned how to win last year and Tannehill even directed 3 comeback wins. Should have been 4 in Seattle if the D would have held. This offense will be fun to watch and I can't wait to get a look at our LB crew as well as Charles Harris.

cullenbigcstill and TheJetsBlow like this.
  12. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

I think people will be surprised about what Timmons will bring to the defense if they play him in the middle. I think the unit as a whole will be very good. Moving to weak will be a boost to Alonso. The jury is still out on the rookie but he should be good.

13. Vector1Dolphins

Vector1Dolphins Seasoned Veteran

One can't help but feel good about this season...Tougher schedule this year...Well..."When the going gets tough the tough get going." As we get it going this season it will get tougher next season as far schedule goes. Our guy's will have to step up...I must say it's been a long time since I have felt this good for the up coming season and our future seems so bright I may need to get some new shades..

14. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

The difficulty of schedule always changes from the spring to the fall. Heck, one key injury can change things in a week during the season. The key is winning your home games

15. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

I love talking about football with anyone who is interested. The problem the Dolphins (and fans) have is the Patriots will continue to be elite for years. My expectations for the season are tempered and not overly ecstatic.

The same applies for my Spurs. It's Golden State's league now and thus any excitement I may have for future seasons is moot now.

16. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

Good discussion. I've actually had to bite my tongue (keyboard) a lot recently especially when I see comments on other sites. Like someone else said, as a die hard I'm always optimistic. I always think we are going to be good. I always think we've solved a lot of problem areas from the year before. The realistic in me knows past expectations almost never come to fruition.

That said, I do believe things are different now. I do believe enthusiastically in our current coach and QB. I do think our offense is loaded with skill position talent, of the like's we haven't seen in decades. The realistic in me (damn that guy) knows Mike Pouncey is a concern. The homer in me tries to believe he will be healthy and that Jordan Phillips has turned the corner in his career.

Regardless of everything said about this roster, at the end of the day, I believe 110% in #17. He's not Tom Brady, he's not Aaron Rodgers, he's not Dan Marino. He's Ryan Freaking Tannehill, he can do things with his right arm 99% of other QB's can't. His highlight reels at times are jaw dropping. Show me a throw better than the one RT made against the Chargers last year. Or find me someone else who can do that.

So to sum things up, ya I am having a hard time keeping my mouth shut. But I am trying my best.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  17. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

I've been pessimistic towards this team for over 15 years. This is the first offseason where I've been talking **** to other fans the entire time. I'm more excited now than I've ever been (mind you I wasn't around for the glory days) about this team since Dan Marino retired.

Let's go!!!

18. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

As I mentioned in another post, this team was the 10th ranked scoring offense over the last 11 weeks of the season. Of course that was WITHOUT Mike Pouncey, Reshad Jones, Koa Misi & Ryan Tannehill for the last 3 weeks....among others here and there. We were paper thin in the secondary as well as the LB's.

What are they capable of WITH all these players? In their second season in the same schemes, healthier and with added talent like Timmons, McMillan, Hayes, Larsen, Harris, Thomas, etc?

I cannot wait.

With a few more additions late in the off-season (like we do every year) at DT and maybe OL, this is going to be fun.

19. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

I'm cautiously optimistic. I've lived and died with this franchise for a long-*** time though, so I'm always wary of the **** that can go wrong, because as long as I've been a fan, it usually does. But it's hard not to be excited. I love Gase. Love 'em. I hope what he's building here is real and can be sustained. Time will tell.

20. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

#NEWMIAMI

21. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I think Miami's ceiling this year is a wildcard berth. Still not sure the Dolphins match-up well against the Patriots, but that is every teams' dilemma in the NFL.

Lots to be excited about. Adam Gase is adding physical players across the board and is a coach that players play hard for. If he's the answer at head coach, that's a big piece that's been missing since Don Shula retired. On talent alone, the Dolphins certainly aren't lacking especially at wide receiver.

There are questions, but not as many as in past seasons. As another poster said, the element of surprise isn't there either. But, the learning curve isn't as well. The Dolphins have an identity as a smash mouth team behind Jay Ajayi, but the talent to pass the ball if the run isn't working.

If the team makes the playoffs, anything is possible. Besides New England, is there another team that is that much ahead of Miami?

22. A500

A500 Active Member

Tampa is a must win. Miko needs to be put in her place so badly it's unreal. I do not think I could mentally rebound if that loudmouth ignorant woman could justify her remarks :wall

cullenbigcstill likes this.
  23. Goin` Deep

Goin` Deep "Pick your guy and let it fly" Finheaven VIP Donator

First two games scare me. Tampas offense will be at full strength and I do think they`ll march up and down on us. I`m going to the Chargers game and they play us tough. Not banking on Rivers to throw 4 picks this time. Our offense better live up to the hype!

24. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

I wonder if that idiot will travel to the game...

25. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

If I lived in Buffalo or NY maybe but here in New England I have nothing to say. If we unseat them, I'll never shut up.

NorthernFin likes this.
  26. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

As sure as that woman is herpied up, she'll be traveling to the game. We should take bets on how long it takes her to get arrested again.

27. jlfin

jlfin old pro

There is a parity in the NFL. It's all about coaching. In the 1980s there was a feeling that the Pats had the most talent in the NFL, but Shula still got the best of them with a less talented roster.
    Presently, I don't believe the Pats are even in the top 5 in terms of pure talent, but they have a good coach and a QB that is essentially a coach on the field.
    Coaching, coaching, coaching
    If Gase is the real deal, the Phins will be a factor this season.

nick1 likes this.
  28. dolphindan

dolphindan A True Fan

No problem keeping it shut. Last year was a breath of fresh air, but after the years we've had, we don't have anything to say. I hope last year was a glimpse of things to come under gase. I'll have a problem keeping it shut if we go deep into playoffs

TheJetsBlow likes this.
  29. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

If we've learned anything about Gase it's that he gets it right second time. He makes mistakes, he adjusts, he moves on. Not playing Wake, playing too up tempo, not playing Ajayi, not playing the run fits Ajayi liked, not dropping Thomás and Turner... theres a long list of stuff he got wrong and then corrected.

That's a huge trait to have in your coach. But when he's up against the Belichicks - who get it right first time and who make you pay for getting it wrong, Gase will need to show he has stepped his game up too. I have confidence he will.

cullenbigcstill likes this.
  30. cullenbigcstill

cullenbigcstill FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

QB play was not good in 99,more like 95...
    I love Marino as we all do but JJ ruined him and his play under him was not the same he was severely handcuffed.

There was excitement with the meat head too when we went to the playoffs and he constructed a physical o line and running game and stout defense.... No QB and lousy WR's held that team back, oh and quality offensive coaches....

I do agree with everything else tho Goat, thanks for posting as I feel the same, but we have to perform on gamedays and get back in the playoffs.

31. where's th'fish

where's th'fish Scout Team Donator

It's good to be optimistic when a new season arrives, otherwise what's the point? Just please don't bet any money you can't afford. Why shouldn't you bet any money?

Problem areas from last year and did we fix them:

Passrushing DE - likely
    TE - uncertain
    G - unlikely
    DT - uncertain
    LB - likely but may still be weak spot
    Nickel CB - unlikely
    FS - likely downgrade

We're also counting on Tunsil taking over without a hitch for Albert, Wake maintaining his level, Puncey getting healthy, and then:

tougher schedule + regression to the mean in close wins/pythagorian wins/DVOA (take your pick) + injuries

On the other hand, there surely will be some pleasant surprises, too! Parker, Phillips, McCain and others might fulfill their potential and offset some of the bad stuff.

Conclusion, don't jump off the bridge, but don't bet money you can't afford and let's hope we have a great year!

Snoop and TheJetsBlow like this.
  32. A500

A500 Active Member

It's possible. But if she does, maybe she'll over do it like that one year she got arrested, and forced to leave

33. hoops

hoops exited stage left

The tempo of the offense should have EVERYONE excited. Gases o worked without tempo it's gonna torch people with it

Doesn't hurt that the reports on dvp, x, Phillips, and Charles Harris are all very encouraging.

These are some of the most talented guys on the team. All drafted too which is what teams should be built by.

TheJetsBlow likes this.
  34. miamidolphins83

miamidolphins83 Active Member

- Had a great chat with a guy here in Rochester, NY tonight who walked in with a tank top and had an old school Dolphins logo tattoo on his arm (looks like he got it in the 1960s/1970s. We are Bills country here and host their Training Camp - it was awesome to be talking Dolphins football with a whole line of people listening in the restaurant!

TheJetsBlow and fins1 like this.
  35. Snoop

Snoop A True Fan

I even forgot about Tampa's TEs, Brate and OJ Howard! That offense could be scary good.

36. Adam First

Adam First Don't Hate Miami Finheaven VIP Donator

I'll start being really excited about this team if they repeat on their successes from last year. I know not to get my hopes up.

I do think we are in good hands, though.

37. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Honestly, I'm pretty steady here. I think we're going to have a fun season, but I have no real expectations.

For five years in a row now we've heard about up-tempo offense and it was either lies (Philbin) or the team just couldn't handle it (last season). That's what I want to see. I want them to actually gas people in the South Florida heat.

38. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I think with this tempo assuming we can stick with it we will go 11-5

Schedules tough but that speed of play will be the offset

tthorpe13 likes this.
  39. PhishyPhishy

PhishyPhishy Well-Known Member

Yes. I'm ready to explode. These 6 weeks need to fly.

40. Sherif

Sherif Pro Bowler

Not sure the predictions out there know the Dolphins as well as we do but only ESPN has us at 9-7. Most others a losing record or not making the playoffs. So we are playing a second place schedule instead of a last place schedule? We were 6-10 in 2015 and owned by Buffalo and the NYJ. That said, I don't put much confidence in "tough schedule" talk and comparing one year to the next. This year I think we will stop the run, our OL and NE will struggle, Ajayi may not play 16 games and Tannehill will have a good season. Vegas has us 7.5 similar to last year. I think that is about a game and a half short.