Is Burke next to get the axe?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolphinheel, Jan 4, 2018.

1. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Yes the defense needs help, last year our defense personel was trash IMO, and we pulled some defensive miracles out of our butt, this years squad was mych more solid and collapsed many times thats coaching so the coaching needs help.

elite14eva likes this.
  2. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Finheaven VIP Donator

Well looking back at the way the LBs played this year, I'm 100% he would've been our best LB by a wide margin...

3. Stills&Landry

Stills&Landry A True Fan

I'd bring del río. He probably hates us though. I think he'd take the job.

elite14eva likes this.
  4. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

At least he would than have an axe to grind.

5. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator Finheaven VIP

If he wants revenge to play his old team this year.

6. phinfan40353

phinfan40353 Scout Team

Gase doesn't strike me as a guy who likes input. He wouldn't think about giving up play calling until he needed to concede to save his job and give himself someone else to blame. He's taken to blaming players in the media. He's cut players to get the team's attention. He has consistently backed bad players regardless of outcome or performance (Cutler and Pouncey come to mind).

This is a coach who is threatened by players and relinquishing power. And he is suddenly going to go hire an ex-HC who specializes in D? Who could pose a threat on team owned by a guy who is notorious for making half-decisions? Opening the door for him to fire Gase and promote ex-HC while keeping TB?

Nope. Gase is the type that won't change unless he needs to save his behind. And then it is only cosmetic. Keep dreaming. He keeps Burke so when he gets RT back and the defense sucks again, he can use Burke as a scapegoat to save his job. This is business management survival 101.

elite14eva likes this.
  7. fin415

fin415 Rookie Finheaven VIP

And you know this from your numerous meetings with the man?

Again, any kind of examples would be great, especially for being *notorious* for half-decisions

This is a guy who got a huge vote of support from Payton Manning when he was interviewing among others. Yet somehow, everyone he worked with missed these *small* character flaws that you have picked up from a couple of press conferences

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  8. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

Lots of insight there. Would read again.

Sigh.

fin415 likes this.
  9. elite14eva

elite14eva Yashu Mane!!! Donator

Sadly I agree

10. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

But not surprisingly.

Every thread you are clamoring for a new dc coordinator when Gase has said Burke will be back.

11. elite14eva

I miss that one when did he say Burke will be back?

12. Krush

Krush Finaholic Donator

KiKi Alonzo played terrible, he was part of the problem, tackling with his arms and always seems to be out of posistion.

13. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

He was given Kiko Alonso who couldn't cover my grandmother...and she's dead

He was given Timmons who went awol then gave us a couple of decent games
    and faded the rest of the season. I'm sure he doesn't want to be here and his play showed that.

Mike Hull tries but just doesn't have the physical gifts to be a LB in the NFL

Stephone Anthony AND Chase Allen...MEH

He was given a fat drunk to play Linebacker...enough said

He was given two strong safeties of which if we're being honest
    are not very good in coverage

He was given Andre Branch who had 4.5 sacks but honestly
    do you remember a great play he made all season?
    Expect less of the same next season

William Hayes played in 10 games with 1 sack and 14 tackles
    ended up on IR meh

He was given Harris who came on a bit at the end of the season
    but for the most part did a great disappearing act that Harry Houdini
    would have been proud of.

Raekwon McMillan 1play and done IR

Last years starting corner Tony Lippett...IR

Cordrea Tankersley only played in 11 games(1 game he only had 8 defensive snaps)
    So you can say he played in 10 games and missed a considerable amount of time

Burke has done things that make you shake your head
    his system is questionable but it was his 1st year as DC
    and he didn't exactly have a great hand dealt to him

14. phinking

phinking A True Fan

There were times when Burke looked like he had no answers. He does not know how to make adjustments during the game. Vance Joseph showed some ability last year. Unfortunately, Joseph did not have any good Linebackers other than Alonzo who played the last 3 games with one arm. I am totally satisfied with the players we have on defense now, so Gase needs to find a better DC than Burke.

elite14eva likes this.
  15. phinking

phinking A True Fan

I agree Alonzo was pretty bad this season. But folks please remember, Alonzo has played his entire college and pro career as a MLB until this past season. So we have to give him somewhat of a pass. Let's see what he does next season with 2 off-seasons worth of adjustment to the WLB position.

16. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

I was not a huge fan of our defensive scheme but the Eagles run the same one and finished 4th in points allowed and had the 1st ranked rushing defense in yards allowed. They allowed 7 rushing TD's to Miami's 14 and had a very similar pass defense (to Miami's) in yards allowed and TD's.

17. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I believe they finished first in both rushing and pass d...

to my eye scheme is not the problem...assignment accountability and tackling were the primary issues

Finfan4lyfe91 likes this.
  18. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Tackling was a problem but so was the lack of a consistent pass rush from the edge. So many times we saw the QB just sitting there with all day to throw which makes it hard to cover receivers for that long. It's always easy to blame the coach for everything but that's blinding yourself to think that we had a lot of talent when in reality we don't

Ozzy rules!!

Finfan4lyfe91 likes this.
  19. hoops

hoops exited stage left

atlantas gonna send philly home Saturday anyways

20. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

I wouldn't bet money on that.

vcip likes this.
  21. hoops

hoops exited stage left

nick foles tells me different

but whatev...

22. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

I am of the opinion that Pederson is one of the more underrated coaches at the moment, and that he intentionally dumbed down his game plan the last two weeks of the season. There was nothing to play for in the last game.

Hey, I've been wrong before, but I watched that game and immediately thought, "They're sandbagging." We'll see this weekend, but I wouldn't touch that game with a ten-foot pole.

23. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Extremely effective? When? Sons went very in depth awhile back and said how the pats implemented it to stop a specific thing the colts were doing it (or the colts did vs the pats, one of those) but basically that was almost 20 years ago, the league has changed a lot and it’s not very effective as of recently ...

24. hoops

hoops exited stage left

what? why would you sand bag with a qb you need to get ready for the postseason? looks to me like foles cant execute tying play caller hands...seen that before somewhere hmmm

25. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

The 2017 Philadelphia Eagles and Jim Schwartz would beg to differ.

26. hoops

hoops exited stage left

sons took that stuff way way too far...I tried to warn him but he no listen

27. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I've seen many people here who don't like to bring in coaches from the Bengals or Bears. Well, another former Beganl goes to the raiders

[​IMG]
    Raiders hired Paul Guenther as defensive coordinator and Greg Olson as offensive coordinator.

The Raiders flirted with ex-Lions DC Teryl Austin, but he chose the Bengals instead. Although Guenther's 2017 Cincinnati defense faded down the stretch in large part due to injuries, his units were consistently no worse than league average. In four years with Guenther coordinating, Cincinnati finished 14th (2014), 10th (2015), 17th (2016), and 17th (2017) in Football Outsiders' defensive DVOA. Olson is best known for his work with young quarterbacks, namely Josh Freeman, Blake Bortles, and Sam Bradford, albeit with mixed results. He was also Derek Carr's position coach during his 2014 rookie year and spent 2017 on the Rams' staff working with Jared Goff.

Ozzy rules!!

28. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

To not tip your hand as much going into the playoffs. You don't think it's odd that Nick Foles just tore up a bad Giants D, but suddenly shut it down vs. Oakland...who is nearly as bad?

29. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I don't think he shut it down I think he stunk up the joint

seen him do a lot of that actually...its the same matt moore theory...diminishing returns

the more time teams get to prep for a guy the more they can expose his weaknesses and why he's depth in the first place...

but hey if he comes out and that eagles o looks like the rams greatest show on turf in it's prime i will absolutely say I was wrong...

alshon jefferys body language tells me different

30. Travis34

Oh yeah, I dont deny he was pretty opinionated and sometimes too much (coughkikocough) but I don't think he was that wrong about the wide 9. seems to get gashed vs the run, but maybe we are just accustomed to bad teams

31. Travis34

How much wide 9 do they run?

32. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

Philly finished 17th in pass defense (Miami 16th) and gave up only two fewer passing TD's than Miami. 26 to 24. Totally agree about tackling. They are going to have to bite the bullet on Alonso and bench him or something. He was awful at WLB. He was actually better at MLB last year with lesser DT's. Not sure what they do at LBer. I wish we got a longer look at McMillan last year. Our rookie DT's overachieved based on draft slot but they are going to have to step up in year two. Phillips is what he always was....inconsistent. There are no easy answers on defense thanks to personnel moves and contracts last year.

Maybe move Kiko back to the middle, put TJ (6'2 220) at WLB and McMillan at SLB? Draft a true free safety. Personally I would try and trade Phillips and think about drafting Vita Vea but that would require a scheme change. I'd love to hire Gus Bradley as DC and see Suh at 3T, Vea at UT and give Godchaux a shot at 5T. We are so handcuffed due to 2017 contracts, not to mention the drafting of Harris who is probably a 43 WDE only. I don't know....I'm puzzled this off season.

33. hoops

hoops exited stage left

could have sworn I heard them same philly had the top d in run and pass maybe it was scoring I don't know...but anyways definitely sounds like you are puzzled ha ha

I agree kiko played better at mike than weak...more playmaking more instincts getting to show less carry coverage exposure...it doesn't help either that by the game you could see Timmons aging before your eyes...he got slower as the season went along

34. tommyp

tommyp Well-Known Member

we should've hired wade phillips or jim schwartz

Eesti and elite14eva like this.
  35. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Burn the Jolly Roger Moderator Finheaven VIP

Don't see Burke being fired at this point.

elite14eva likes this.
  36. elite14eva

Like I said before expect more of the same then

37. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

Haha....well I've yet to hear a good plan for this year. At least not one that I can see unfolding. My 4-3 under included. On defense we are basically stuck with sub-par mediocre players, non-positional fits and unknown young players. Hard to make a plan out of that. The only ones worth building around are over 30. The only position I am somewhat ok with are the CB's.

I would not be surprised to hear that Timmons is experiencing some CTE symptoms. This was a strange year for him and definitely out of character.

I think Philly pass D was ranked a lot higher around mid-year and then dropped off but considering they shut down teams run games, they were thrown at a bunch. 2nd in the NFL in "passing attempts against" to be exact. By comparison Dolphins were 24th in same category and finished with similar yards allowed.

38. vcip

vcip Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

I think Foles may surprise you this game. He may not be a world beater, but with his starting RB's playing and using both Ertz and Burton with a game plan tailored to his strengths they may roll