Is DJ Hayden in play at #12

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by normaniii, Apr 23, 2013.

1. normaniii

normaniii A True Fan

Mayock just named him his no.1 corner. I know CK has been big on him right from the start.

He has been fully cleared by doctors and 100% healthy is considered better than X.Rhodes.

Ireland made statement about being able to draft corners late in draft, but he does like to drop smokescreens and if he really believed this why would he draft Davis & Smith so early previously.

Would the fans be happy with this?

2. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

I think he is...he got knocked down for medical much like Star L., like Star people are realizing he is ok and a very very talented player.

3. insom187

insom187 Fin fan in hostile territory

I'm not sure at 12 with that freak injury now in his history but if we trade down I definitely see him as first round talent.

4. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I just can't see it at #12 even though his talent may dictate that. I think Hayden drops to the end of the 1st where teams with more depth can take on more risk.

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

I don't know that he's better than Xavier Rhodes, but if you wanted to steer toward Hayden because you believe he fits the system better than Rhodes, I can go for that. My big problem with the system argument is using it to justify taking players that are clearly inferior. A great example would be steering toward Desmond Trufant at 12 instead of Xavier Rhodes. I think Rhodes is just a superior football player regardless of system. But that's not really the case with Hayden, who I rate right up there with Rhodes and Milliner.

6. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Not a big fan of Rhodes at all he reminds many including myself of Sean Smith. They virtually have the same strengths and weaknesses...

7. ckparrothead

Sean Smith comparison is lazy and inaccurate, in my opinion.

8. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Rhodes has stiff hips and will be flagged all the time for banging with receivers beyond 5 yards. I do not like him.

Milliner is too much a red flag for me and will be this draft's biggest surprise of where he goes vs. the conventional wisdom of the last few months.

9. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i guess that means you have rhodes and milliner ranked as in the #175 pick range given where you took hayden in your on line mock or whatever that was...seems odd to me to wait so long to pull the trigger on hayden if he was so highly thought of..

but then again i do see a lot of sean smith like balance and struggles with smaller quicker wrs with xavier rhodes ...and i don't think i've been lazy about it...

10. ckparrothead

I took D.J. Hayden in the 6th round of MockTwo after passing on him with my 2nd and 3rd round picks. I didn't pick again until the 6th round. I had no 4th or 5th round picks and I only had one 2nd and one 3rd. I knew the folks in MockTwo were not going to take him until the 7th round, if at all, based on what happened in MockOne and the way media boards were ranking him and talking about him. But I made it clear in my description that if healthy he should come out as one of the very best corners in the draft and that we'd be more likely to be talking about him in the 2nd round.

Of course, this was about 3 months ago. When literally nobody was talking about D.J. Hayden being one of the very best corners in the entire Draft, if healthy.

11. hoops

hoops exited stage left

ok...i didn't know your pick situation...fair enough...and i also didn't know it was 3 months ago...i still don't know why people thought that they could get that in the 3rd round or whatever though after watching his tape...i was definitely late to get a look cause of the medical i figured he was done but when i did look wow that had 1st round talent written all over it...

i'm not surprised at all he's up there being talked about as the top corner in the class...

12. ckparrothead

TedSlimmJr holds the "told ya so" over pretty much everyone. I believe way back in October he said that D.J. Hayden is the most underrated senior prospect in the draft. I didn't really start catching onto Hayden until late November, and back then I didn't know how to frame his injury. I thought his life had to be at risk if he continued to play football. I was wrong about that, something I discovered when I did more digging in January. That's when I talked to some medical people who told me that the way veins heal with the scar tissue they accumulate after an injury to the vein, there's probably even LESS chance he tears it in the same spot. The injury was dubbed kind of a one in a million thing, and his surviving it even more rare. That's when I was told the opening of the sternum was the bigger problem, and I did remember from the back of my mind some bruised sternum injuries being issues at the NFL level, but overall this was not a long term thing.

When I found that out, that's when I was off to the races digging into his tape. He drips explosiveness. It's immediately evident. That's when I ran up to the podium during MockTwo and took him in the 6th round (even though truthfully I could've waited until the 7th), and described him as being one of the very best corners in the draft.

13. hoops

hoops exited stage left

yeah i remember slimm and you talking about him when i was busy talking up mingo ha ha...anyways that was a hell of a find...like you said man that kids explosive

now if slimm would just get off this uva corner nicholson he likes that is awful...lmao

14. ckparrothead

What's this? The junior? LOL.

No way I'm even close to being there yet. Good god he's already on the 2015 class.

Although I've gotten a fair few looks at your guy from Oregon who is pretty good.

15. hoops

hoops exited stage left

only question with the oregon kid is how tall is he...i think he's every bit of 5 ft 10 but i wonder how much more than that...he's definitely a legit talent though...

16. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

System fit is unquestionably overstated, as ck indicated. You might legitimately assign a few percent but too often it's one of the happy 40% adjustments, and at that point all perspective is lost.

Rhodes is naturally stickier and more competitive than Sean Smith. I'm still not thrilled with him, primarily because I've watched hm for years and never slotted him anywhere near this high. I like to default to that, early evaluation.

When doubting these early guys like Milliner and Rhodes, you have to recognize the likelihood you'll be wrong. There are countless reasons they have so much support. It's extremely satisfying when you can deflect it and identify a bust. I've had countless examples but the sample is 35 years, and I really don't care if I'm wrong. In my world being wrong only 43% of the time is fantastic. Recently I've noted that if the player starts sliding into the second round, then I'm going to to be correct, and more correct than the league compromise. Jimmy Clausen and Taylor Mays are examples. If the player rigidly stays within the first round, particularly the opening half of that round, then my concerns were largely unfounded, and can be overcome.

17. ckparrothead

So would Damontre Moore be the freshest example here?

18. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

This is my concern about Rhodes as well.

19. latos24

latos24 Rookie

I think if we drop down to the late teens he'd be an option

20. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

OK in a trade down to get an extra second round pick.