Is Having (or Taking) More Time to Throw the Ball Overrated? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Having (or Taking) More Time to Throw the Ball Overrated?

If you ask any QB if he would like more time or less I would suspect he would say more. More is better. Do I need to get a bunch of kids sitting semicircle to tell you that.

If you ask any QB if he would like more time or less I would suspect he would say more. More is better. Do I need to get a bunch of kids sitting semicircle to tell you that.
I think the point is a bit more nuanced than it sounds like you're able and/or willing to grasp. :)

Ok, this is the first time when I've seriously questioned the sanity of the OP, lol.

SMH.

Only on FH.

LD

I will say any qb should have more than 3 seconds to throw the ball. Our pass protection is among the worst i the league and no special stat can disprove that

Another quality thread of trying to get people thinking one way by spouting out a bunch of **** and presenting it as some kind of ingenuous objective stat.

so what we see here is that the avg qb rating is higher when the primary is open vs when he is not
What's interesting, however, is that throws that occur after a longer period of time after the snap are associated with such a lower QB rating. One would think that a QB, if given time, would have a better QB rating, even if the primary receiver isn't open on the play. However, what seems to be the case is that the extra time to throw creates a much poorer outcome with regard to QB rating than does having an open target earlier in the play.

In other words, one would think time drives the bus on QB rating in this regard (i.e., QBs perform better when they have more time to throw), but what the data suggest on the other hand, IMO, is what you said, that an open target earlier in the play does a hell of a lot more than time for a QB's performance.

That is an interesting finding IMO, and it flies in the face of some of the intuitions I've seen here that sound something like, "I bet Ryan Tannehill's QB rating is a lot better when he has [or takes] more time to throw." In fact Tanenhill's QB rating is six points lower on throws he's made at 2.6 seconds after the snap and beyond, which is no different from what happens across the league, for almost all QBs.

So lets recap ....

Too much time to throw is worse than not enough time to throw.

Throwing in 2.6 seconds because you're about to get mugged is more desirable than throwing in 2.7 seconds because your primary receiver is open.

Ok got it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shrought,wanna go fishing?...I'll buy lunch.

[video=youtube;sooVfzv_nq8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sooVfzv_nq8[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not about more or less time, it's about the appropriate amount of time. Unfortunately, you'll never be able to capture that statistically. If a play is designed to need 3 seconds for a WR to get open, and you only get 2.5 seconds, there's no way that you'll be more effective with the lessor.

There's so many variables which skew these statistics. More time usually means deeper routes, which usually have a lower sucess rate than quick routes/screens/etc. Also, more time could mean great coverage, which means a QB will have to force the ball, thus the lower QBR.

A reasonable conclusion would be that longer developing plays are typically less efficient than quick plays. Regardless, QBs still perform better when given the appropriate amount of time to complete the play without pressure.

Back
Top Bottom