Is Having (or Taking) More Time to Throw the Ball Overrated? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Having (or Taking) More Time to Throw the Ball Overrated?

Taking more time to throw the football is overrated. Having more time to throw the football is not overrated.

Not everything is black and white. The numbers change based on play calls, coverages, etc. PFF does offer some nice statistical data but a lot of what they put out is worthless babble. After all it is PFF that ranks the entire Dolphins defense 4th based on individual play.

I wanted to further add that amount of arbitrary time to throw does not measure the quality of the read, quality of protection and how those 2 elements combine to make the correct read, correct decision, correct throw and remain upright.

For example, a QB can have a quick trigger for many reasons: bad protection, tendency to lock on to 1 WR, etc. But those stats do not show you the difference between a QB who thows the ball at xx seconds standing still with a clean pocket with open lanes vs. the QB who had to dance in the pocket with defenders falling all around him as he avoids a sack with clogged throwing lanes to complete a pass.

The quality of protection is just as important as the amount time provided by protection.

It's not about more or less time, it's about the appropriate amount of time. Unfortunately, you'll never be able to capture that statistically. If a play is designed to need 3 seconds for a WR to get open, and you only get 2.5 seconds, there's no way that you'll be more effective with the lessor.

There's so many variables which skew these statistics. More time usually means deeper routes, which usually have a lower sucess rate than quick routes/screens/etc. Also, more time could mean great coverage, which means a QB will have to force the ball, thus the lower QBR.

A reasonable conclusion would be that longer developing plays are typically less efficient than quick plays. Regardless, QBs still perform better when given the appropriate amount of time to complete the play without pressure.
One would think. However, the percentage of dropbacks in which these QBs are pressured isn't correlated with the difference in their QB ratings for throws made in 2.5 seconds or less, and throws made in 2.6 seconds or more.

In other words, it isn't pressure that makes a QB's rating so much lower on throws made after 2.5 seconds. It looks as if that difference in QB rating isn't a function of pressure. Something else is going on during pass plays that last beyond 2.5 seconds that make QBs perform poorer during them.

We could suspect that it's the case that a lower-percentage (i.e., downfield) target is involved, though the difference in the QB rating would suggest those plays are rarely successful, since a successful downfield play has more of a positive effect on a QB's rating than a successful shorter-yardage play. Something on those plays would have to outweigh the effect on QB rating produced by successful downfield plays, and that something, which isn't pressure, would have to be pretty weighty.

Taking more time to throw the football is overrated. Having more time to throw the football is not overrated.

This is TRUE and not reflected in the stats! Tom Brady became Tom Brady because he had all day back there to do his taxes, take a shower and let his plays develop. But if the play called for a quick slant, he could execute.

This is TRUE and not reflected in the stats! Tom Brady became Tom Brady because he had all day back there to do his taxes, take a shower and let his plays develop. But if the play called for a quick slant, he could execute.

Tom Brady has had one of the most consistent OLs -- which allows him not to have a clock in his head. He knows that if the situation calls for it, he has the TIME even for a slant.

Tanny didn't even have that on critical plays. Entire OL blown up in his face at times, taking away passing lane and giving nill reaction time.

I counted 6-8 seconds multiple times for Brady and Brees in their game. And on some of those plays, even with all those seconds, the QB was never touched. You tellin' me that doesn't have an effect on a QB? The games where Brady gets consistently touched in 3 or 3.2 seconds he gets happy feet, a clock in his head... and he's supposedly the best QB in the NFL -- or among the best. Tanny has NEVER had the benefit of a highly consistent, good OL. Never.

It's amazing -- Brady and Brees can take 6-8 seconds and Tanny can take 3-4, and guys on FH do two things: 1. They credit the OLs of NE and NO, and then 2. They blame Tanny for not getting the ball out sooner. So contradictory.

LD

Shouright, would it be possible for you to add Total Yards, and Yards Per Attempt to the chart? I'm curious to see what, if any correlation there is between those stats and having time.

Shouright, would it be possible for you to add Total Yards, and Yards Per Attempt to the chart? I'm curious to see what, if any correlation there is between those stats and having time.
I can sure give it a shot when I have time later his evening. Are you aware, however, that those are components of QB rating? I assume you are. Just checking. :)

I can sure give it a shot when I have time later his evening. Are you aware, however, that those are components of QB rating? I assume you are. Just checking. :)

Yes, I'm aware. :) I was just curious to see them isolated. I have no ulterior motive, I just thought it would be interesting. As you no doubt are aware, sometimes you can glean a different perspective on things when isolating them as opposed to looking at a statistic which is designed to create a standard or overall number.

those grades do not reflect first contact, or contact after a throw, or contact during the dropback.

What I think is very interesting about these numbers is that Tannehill is being sacked on average after 3.5s while the league average is 3.9. When a QB is getting sacked that much the obvious concern is he's holding the ball too long, but it's clearly not the case.

Edit: To somewhat second what ck said above, the other numbers seem irrelevant to me.

Are people so lacking in common sense that there could literally be an argument that having more time to throw is overrated?

Are people so lacking in common sense that there could literally be an argument that having more time to throw is overrated?
Is it not possible that having more time to throw is "rated" more highly than it should be? Overestimated in its value at all?

Why do you feel the need to put so many things in quotes or "italics"? It doesn't strengthen your lame arguments any better

Back
Top Bottom