Is it possible that Reshad Jones being shopped? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is it possible that Reshad Jones being shopped?

broccoli rob

Active Roster
Reaction score
Hypothetical, but here is my logic behind it:

- Consensus is that big move(s) are to come. Fins ate up a lot of the Jarvis money bringing in Wilson and Amendola.

- The storyline being pushed in the media is culture change *which seems to hold up*, but the underlying theme would be recognition of future commitments to questionable types.

- Back to culture change. Who, outside of Wake, has been around longer and should have more respect than Reshad? He's produced at a very high level since '12 and how much have we heard about him being a leader on defense? I've heard of his leadership about as much as Suh.

- Speaking of leadership, Miami selected Michael Thomas as one of the 2017 team captains last season. Reshad and Ryan were the two exclusions from 2016. Yes, Reshad missed time, but not on IR! Suh was actually in this group! Reshad has been producing on this team quite a while. He was't on IR. Perhaps injured players aren't selected team captains? This point is fishy as i'm no team captain expert (my team hates me tbh), but Reshad played last year and Miami had Suh and Thomas as captains over him. Suh is gone and Miami just resigned Walt Aikens > Thomas. Some team captains! And they wonder why they have culture problems lol

- Reshad is another one with a freshly minted contract. A future commitment. Is he a questionable type? Better hope not, because Miami is scheduled to give this man 15M next year, 13.5 in 2020, and 13 in 2021. at 33.

- The Dolphins seemed mighty eager to sign TJ McDonald early last year. Could this be another move thats been in the making? Suh's had his house on the market since Feb, btw. Most know TJ would be better off at SS or even at LB than what happened last year.

- His value. If you are looking for a bargaining chip, whether its to move up, whether its a player you covet, or whether its a 2019 draft pick you want to set yourself (or your successor) up w/, Sashi Brown style: Reshad is your guy.

- Who on this team would possibly be expendable by replacing him with someone currently on the roster in another position, that could provide so much value, free up a cap burden, and give the Dolphins a little leverage where they currently have little to none sans future picks (as far as trading and moving around in the draft is concerned).

This is all assuming the Dolphins front office actually has this (or even a) plan, and aren't a bunch of cons.

If there is legitimacy to this movement, I don't think Wake is moved. I think its Reshad.

Last edited:
Anything is possible. Not sure how much if any salary cap they free up if they trade him. I do know that with their current cap situation they need to make some more moves.

It could make a lot of sense for the reasons that you mentioned, and Miami possibly has had an eye on Derwin James all along in the draft.

Nothing would surprise me anymore.

They can't trade him before the draft..That would show the entire world that they want James or Mincah.

I also know Burke loves 3 S looks. So I still doubt Miami will get rid of their best one.

Next thing we hear is that they traded Reshad and a draft pick for Tavon Austin

They can't trade him before the draft..That would show the entire world that they want James or Mincah.

I also know Burke loves 3 S looks. So I still doubt Miami will get rid of their best one.

I agree, I believe the only way we see a Reshad Jones, or even a Ryan Tannehill trade for that matter, is on draft night if certain opportunities arise. Forgot to mention that but good call.

Generally curious how much say Burke has in personnel acquisitions or retentions. The latest i've heard regarding personnel is that Tannenbaum has taken a back seat to Grier and even Gase plays a larger role. In that case, maybe Burke will have some clout.

At this point nothing would surprise me. They could trade or cut Jones and there would be a story about locker room issues and whatnot. Attribute the cut/trade to culture change or wanting smarter players or whatever buzzword they want to throw out.

Arn't player trades on draft night super rare? I don't recall this occurring much at all.

Jones doesn't have any impact on whether we draft Fitz or James.

Next thing we hear is that they traded Reshad and a draft pick for Tavon Austin

I would not put a n y t h i n g past this front office. Who tf knows who we see come and go before training camp! I just have a feeling the volatility is far from over. They are "shaking it up", I guess. Hope it works out.

Arn't player trades on draft night super rare? I don't recall this occurring much at all.

Patriots acquired Brandin Cooks last year for their 32. He could be used to help get up a few spots assuming they were looking to offload him/go get someone.

Back
Top Bottom