Is Luck vs. Tannehill the next Brady vs. Manning?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MRPRESIDENT50, Nov 8, 2012.

1. MRPRESIDENT50

MRPRESIDENT50 Active Member

[​IMG]
    Gregory Shamus/Getty Images
    Today's NFL fans are always looking for the next great rivalry. For the last decade we have been treated to classic duels between Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. These two have battled it out for both AFC supremacy and the title of best QB in the NFL.
    However, their time is closer to the end than the beginning and it is time to prepare for the next wave of great QB matchups. Week 9 presented us with a clash between Andrew Luck and Ryan Tannehill, a clash that showcased the immense talent and potential of both players.
    Now, the Luck/RGIII rivalry may seem like the biggest moving forward, but playing in different conferences will severely limit the amount of times those two actually get on the field together. Luck/Tannehill on the other hand, could happen nearly every season.

[​IMG] The Manning vs. Brady rivalry has been among the best in NFL history
    Jamie Squire/Getty Images
    Obviously these two are not ready to take the over the reins from Brady/Manning, but look at the great game they just put on. Luck's Indianapolis Colts edged out Tannehill's Miami Dolphins in a classic 23-20 thriller.
    The contest came down to the fourth quarter and both QBs demonstrated why the future is bright for their respective franchises. Just like both Brady and Manning, Luck is already making a name for himself in the fourth quarter.

[​IMG] ESPN Stats & Info
    @ESPNStatsInfo
    Andrew Luck now has 4 game-winning drives in 4th qtr/OT.. the other rookie starting QBs (Tannehill, Wilson, RG3, Weeden) have 4 total

4 Nov 12

It is these types of battles that can build a long-term rivalry that people care about. Manning and Brady have faced off countless times and always seem to deliver memorable performances. Luck and Tannehill both did just that on Sunday.
    [h=4]Which potential rivalry is most exciting?[/h][h=4]Luck vs. Griffin III[/h]25.3%

[h=4]Luck vs. Tannehill[/h]68.9%

[h=4]Griffin III vs. Tannehill[/h]1.1%

[h=4]Something involving Wilson or Weeden[/h]4.7%

Total votes: 2,207

Luck set a rookie record with 433 yards passing and Tannehill did his best to keep up with 290 passing yards and two touchdowns. Neither player threw an interception and neither player ever relented in their pursuit of victory,
    Are Luck and Tannehill already on the level of Brady and Manning?
    Clearly not, but that is not the question being asked. The fact is that these two have laid the groundwork for a tremendous rivalry moving forward. The Dolphins and Colts are both organizations that are quickly gaining traction.
    Indianapolis has exceeded any and all expectations with its 5-3 start while Miami is firmly in the middle of the AFC playoff race at 4-4. What we saw in Week 9 was hopefully only a preview of many great battles to come.
    Reaching the levels of Manning vs. Brady will take many years and numerous Super Bowl titles, but Luck and Tannehill have given us a fantastic glimpse into the potential of their budding rivalry.

2. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

Great...so if we finish 2nd in the division this year we can probably look forward to a Monday night matchup with the Colts next year.

3. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Yes, yes it will.

Hopefully Tannehill is Brady and Luck can be Peyton.

4. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i think those are two very good comparisons...i see strong similarities with brady and manning...but with better athletes...tannehill reads coverage and has decision making a lot like brady...hopeflly like brady over time we'll get the better of the matchup also

5. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

For it to be the same rivalry The Dolphins and Colts will have to start winning their divisions regularly like Brady and Manning did.

6. WVDolphan

WVDolphan A True Fan

Yep. All of this Luck/RG3 talk will subside eventually. RG3 isnt anywhere close to Luck's class.

Tannehill on the other hand will be matching up with Luck on the reg and whoever comes out ahead will likely be representing the AFC in Super Bowls down the line.

The cream will rise.

7. WVDolphan

WVDolphan A True Fan

Yep. Good call. Although it could be a SNF matchup. It should be primetime either way. Im sure the league will be smart enough to schedule this game in a week in where it will be the featured matchup. Its going to be a good one for years to come. Were in business again!

8. PALMA

PALMA A very famous spit

Tannehill was playing with half a deck of cards against the Colts. THANKS IRELAND. Looking at our two-wide set with Hartline, Bess, and Fasano made me cringe. It's amazing we score any points. We need dynamic playmakers on the outside in the worst way with a beast, seam busting tight end that will go up on a ladder to catch the ball.

Unfortunately in Ireland's eyes, he sees no difference between a guy like Clyde Gates and T.Y. Hilton... giving the same draft grade. Why draft Hilton when I already have Gates, the same guy? That's the problem with Ireland, his value system on skill players lumps a group together allocated to specific rounds, he's plays the draft as if he's holding a booklet of coupons. If they look the same, run the same, they must be the same.

Having said all that, Luck played at an all world level. In all my time as Dolphin's fan, I've never seen anything like it from a young Qb. We were helpless time and time again on 3rd down. I tip my cap and glad that Tannehill was always to respond when he could and see what a potentially all time great looks like. Let's go Tannehill, now you know the how high the bar is, go get there!

9. tcdrover

tcdrover Pro Bowler

I fully expected Luck and the Colts to do better than RG3 & the skins.

Luck is easily the best QB to come out in over ten years. RG3 is a scrambling QB, along the line of Vick and Cam only quicker because he is a track guy.

Tannehill has an unusual skill set for a QB. He was a WR in college, he is also a VERY intelligent & driven player.

Just the fact that he has risen this high based on his limited reps in college to me indicates that he has a much higher ceiling than most rookie QBs.

It's ironic, I remember historically back when the colts were in our division those were always the worst selling games every year.

10. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Miami is 4-4, if Miami can continue to win (they have an easier schedule remaining then the Pats), and beat the Patriots, that may very well happen. It will be tougher for the Colts, but anything can happen, they are only 2 games behind, and are hotter then the Texans, with also an easier schedule remaining.

11. tay0365

Yup, what people need to remember, unlike Luck and RGIII, who pretty much are already finished products, Tannehill still has a has a ways to go, so he will be better in time. We all knew that of Luck, RGIII and Tannehill, Tannehill had by far the highest ceiling, we just did not expect him to be this good this fast, but you can still see he still has more to go till he reaches his potential.

12. tay0365

Also, even though odds are against it, what's to say they both don't see each other again this year. I know I would love to see a rematch. :lol:

13. phinzi

phinzi FinHeaven VIP

Luck is in the AFC and RGIII in NFC. So they will most likely meet once every 4 years... not a rivalry regardless if they are the top 2 QBs.
    What help create the rivalry between Ind/Peyton and NE/Brady was that both teams finished first in their division for most of their tenures, which guaranteed at least one regular season game and they also met in the Playoffs (since they both were very good teams).
    In order for a Luck/RT rivalry you need to have Ind and Mia finish first for a few years.
    Even if we finish first because of the defense, the media will create it a QB vs QB match.

If this year we and colts finish 2nd then I see it starts a rivalry - because I predict in 2 or so years - once Brady fades - and we on top of AFC East and let the rivalry continues every single year.

14. BG12DM13CP10

BG12DM13CP10 Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? It's more like Manning vs Henne

15. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

I think Luck is better than Henne.

16. AphexPhin

AphexPhin A True Fan

There are gonna be so many great battles between these two.
    So glad we have Tannehill!

17. mandocello23

mandocello23 Member

Suck for Luck?

We were dyin' for Ryan!

18. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

oh please make it stop, let's allow this stuff to play out. You are talking 2 future HOfers in Brady vs. manning, Luck looks like he can be great, Tannheill looks like he can be good. Just enjoy watching them develop.

19. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro

Hate to say I'm with junc. I can honestly say nationally Tannehill is in the conversation now, I think he was. Conversations with guys at work (pats land), WEEI Boston and Mike Lombardi this morning it's all RGIII and Luck, no mention of Tannehill this week.

20. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

I'm not bashing Ryan but let's watch him develop, we as fans(no matter what team we root for) always jump the gun good or bad on players and teams. Just have fun watching him devleop, you finalyl appear to have some long term hope- enjoy the journey.(this was not to you specifically but to phin fans in general)

21. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

It's a Dolphins message board...you don't like it go back to the Jets message board....please.

22. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

for someone called "datruth" you sure don't like to deal w/ it.

23. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

What am I dealing with....the over-the-top annoyance of having a Jets homer on a Dolphins message board?

I'm not the one saying this will be Manning vs. Brady part two...that's someone else. Miami fans are excited about Tannehill and rightfully so....you just don't like it because your QB sucks.

24. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

You can be excited but don't bash one of our best posters b/c you don't agree w/ reality. Nothing I said is a bashing of Tannehill or the Dolphins.

25. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

^ :lol::lol:

26. royalshank

royalshank Scout Team Finheaven VIP Donator

I have seen this from a rookie QB - his name was Dan Marino. Dominated from the moment he took the field...

27. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

I didn't bash one of the best posters...I bashed you.

And what is this reality you speak of? People are excited about Tannehill...reality. ESPN is claiming this could be Manning vs. Brady part two...reality.

28. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

well if ONE writer at espn says it then it must be true!

29. 16phinsrfast

16phinsrfast Art Damage

Im just as excited as you are about the comparisons, but its extremely premature to anoint these two talented young Qbs as the next "Brady vs Manning". ESPN talks about it because its something to talk about. I don't agree with the comparison because of the lack of background on both Qbs in their professional careers. Is it possible? you can only speculate at this point.

30. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

I never said I agreed with the comparison...I think it's foolish to be talking about it after 8 games but that's ESPN for you.

I pay no attention to the talking heads in the sports world. I'm just enjoying the Dolphins play and watching how Tannehill develops.

31. Ben Had

Ben Had FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Here's reality...

Sanchez is 12th highest payed player in the NFL

38th highest paid athlete in the entire world (any sport )

Are the Jets getting what they are paying for?

32. JMarino

JMarino Starter

RGIII is compared more to Cam Newton than Luck or Tannehill or another rookie.

33. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

awesome, what does that have to do w/ this topic?

34. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

Seriously??? Wow...

Well actually you have him classified as "athlete".. Im not sure thats accurate.

35. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

It's as relevant as a Jets fan chiming in a subject that involves the Colts and Dolphins.

36. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

It has nothing to do w/ this discussion, what I posted had everything to do w/ this discussion.

37. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

You have nothing to do with the discussion. It's Colts and Dolphins...there is no mention of Jets in the conversation.

38. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

I am an adult, I am capable of discussing teams that I do not follow. Sorry this bothers you.

39. 2413fanphins

2413fanphins A True Fan

I cant imagine spending all my free time on the message boards of an nfl team i wasnt even an avid fan of.

40. Jonny

Jonny Scout Team

All growed up

41. AphexPhin

AphexPhin A True Fan

Sure the whole Manning vs Brady argument is probably too premature.
    BUT this is a Dolphins website and GOD forbid we get excited about one of our players.

Dont like it? Leave the board

42. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

I guess you don't have a vivid imagination.

don't like my comments? leave the board, I contribute a heck of a lot more than you and most on this board so either have an adult discussion, ignore my posts or leave.

Justlike I said don't get too high b/c Ryan was off to a good start, don't get too low on him after yesterday. He's a rookie, he's going to have ups and downs. yesterday he was down, next week he could be up?

43. WVDolphan

WVDolphan A True Fan

Are the New York Jests the next Cleveland Browns?

44. DolfanISS

After yesterday it looks more like the next Peyton Manning vs Mark Sanchez.

45. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

you sure are chatty after that home humiliation against a bad team yesterday.

46. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

How many offensive TD's have the Jets had in their last two games?

47. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Playoffs Moderator Finheaven VIP

Good afternoon monday morning troll. If you wanted to talk smack about Tannehill you could have just started another thread instead of bringing back last weeks thread.

Just like we said don't get too high b/c mark was off to a good start, don't get too low on him after last season. He's a 4 year vet, he's going to have his ups and downs but if he doesn't have it figured it out by now he never will. RIIIIIIGHT?

48. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

[​IMG]

49. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Playoffs Moderator Finheaven VIP

troll

50. DolfanISS

Junc's right, there is nothing wrong with what he is saying. The problem is we are in a stage where you can't say truthful negative stuff about RT17 without many posters getting upset. You can't say he played poorly yesterday, every INT was someone else fault, heck one was probably my fault maybe I left the room to get a beer and Tannehill threw an INT. You can't say the fact that our offense has put up 6 points in the last 6 quarters of play is pathetic without posters getting upset pointing out our very obvious lack of playmakers. Doesn't matter that we were playing statistically 2 of the NFL's weakest defenses it was still the 85 Bears or 2000 Ravens to some posters. Tannehill could be a HOF QB at the end of his career but right now whether we like it or not the jury is still out. This site can tear our defense apart without anyone getting upset even though they are responsible for our 4 wins this year and we've seen nothing that could lead us to believe this offense could carry us to victory. Doesn't matter, Sean Smith sucks, Chris Clemons sucks, Rashaad jones is another Finheaven darling, got beat for the one Titans passing TD and I never saw it posted once.

I would love to see our offense come out and hang 40 on Buffalo on Thursday but lets face it, we need to huddle up, snap the ball after the full 40 seconds winds down, commit to the run to limit mistakes and avoid short field and lots of possessions for Buffalo.