Is MJD for real????`

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by NYC#1finsfan, Sep 5, 2017.

1. NYC#1finsfan

NYC#1finsfan #1DandyDanFan

He just said that if Dan Marino is a Hall of famer then Phillip Rivers is definitely a HOFer!!! I saw it on Power Rankings on NFLN.......Fins ranked 15 BTW........SMH

2. 1 dol fan

1 dol fan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Rivers is OK... I guess. He is kinda like Romo to me. Solid, makes great plays from time to time but doesn't ever really put it all together to equal team success

3. Ren

Ren Rookie

I'll never understand everyone's nut-tugging over the Chargers. Every year, same damn thing.

JakeemThe Dream and kcbrown like this.
  4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Same crap last 40+ years for me. As a former SD Charger fan, I will tell you that Rivers is NOT a HOF QB IMO.

kcbrown and Markcalius like this.
  5. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

I guess their point is both qbs put up big numbers but didn't win a championship. I think RIvers could be a borderline HOF consideration..I think he's a better qb than RObert Brazil was a linebacker and Brazil is going on the ballot next year. I wouldn't compare Rivers to Marino talent wise, but as far a both having nice number and no title the arguement could be made I guess. I would have loved to have had Rivers at qb in Miami during most of the past 15 years.

6. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Anyone that makes that type of statement either is an angry Marino or Dolphins hater, or just never ever saw Marino play, and has no idea what he is talking about.

coalesce, Dakar001 and Sons Of Shula like this.
  7. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Hammered Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

MJD also said the other day that Andy Reid is a better HC than Bill Belichick.

Someone needs to check MJD into an insane asylum.

8. Adam Strange

Adam Strange Question Authority Finheaven VIP

Marino owned the NFL record book when he retired, and he did get to a Super Bowl. Rivers has none of the major passing records and has never been to the Super Bowl. But other than that, great comparison. :rolleyes:

9. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

Big numbers in the last 10 years mean little in the new world of stats post 2007 Brady/Manning rules changes....Marino was great....Rivers is good...no comparison and Rivers is not a HOF'er.

10. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Marino was the type of player who changed the way defensive coordinators designed coverages. He was transcedent in that regard. It wasn't simply about numbers. Marino could beat double coverage simply because of the velocity and accuracy of his throws.
    I recall Jim McMahon in an interview remarking that Marino could complete passes that he had no business throwing. Many of you are too young to have witnessed the phenomenon of Dan Marino in his prime.
    Rivers isn't even in the same stratosphere.

11. royalshank

royalshank Practice Squad All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

This. There is no argument one can make that compares these two QBs. It's just silly.

12. royalshank

He said th
    you sure he wasn't talking about how they match up in a cheesesteak eating contest???

13. Sons Of Shula

Marino had no equal in his time.

'84 TD passing leaders:
    1. Marino - 48
    2. Dave Craig -32
    3. Neil Lomax - 28
    4. Joe Montana - 28
    5. Lynn Dickey - 25

'86 TD passing leaders:
    1. Marino - 44
    2. Ken Obrien - 25
    3. Boomer Esiason - 24
    4. Tommy Kramer - 24
    5. Jay Schroeder - 22

14. Sarnics13

Sarnics13 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Get back to me when rivers changes the game. Marino did just that. You can watch videos of his to this day and constantly still find yourself open mouthed in awe.

15. gregorygrant83

I agree 100% that Rivers isn't in Marino's class. I was just saying if his point is that both qbs had great passing numbers but no titles than I guess Rivers would warrant some consideration for the Hall of Fame. Obviously MArino was a first ballot no brainer selection. RIvers has had a very good career it will be interesting to see how it plays out between he and Eli MAnning. Rivers has better numbers but not tiltes. ELi has two Super Bowl rings but statiticlly is nothhing special. I think a two time Super Bowl winner will get more votes.

16. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

Yes they both put up big numbers but I don't think Rivers has ever lead the league in anything. Huge difference.

17. CaSh

CaSh Nothing bigga than the B

Yes but he's much better than Romo actually

18. CaSh

CaSh Nothing bigga than the B

I'd like for someone who is old enough to explain why he only threw for 30 tds in 85. Still lead the league but something happened to where he went -14 on tds and then +18 the next year

19. ebozzz

ebozzz Starter Donator

Robert Brazile

Career highlights and awards

Looks like HOF material to me. That dude could play! The Oilers switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense based on his skill set. He came out of Jackson State University the same year as Walter Payton. He had an immediate impact when he arrived in the league.....

abNORMal likes this.
  20. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

There you go...insanity, and hard to take seriously.

21. Digital

Digital Starter

The media is in the business of selling candy to the eyes and ears of consumers in the form of highlights and hyperbole. There simply aren't a lot of old Marino fans watching his show compared to the number of fans who are interested in the current players. There is always an obvious and severe bias towards current players as the greatest of all times, because hyperbole sells. When Favre played, he was half of what they talked about. Then he retired, and a few years later, he's just another good QB they seldom mention. Then it was all about Peyton. Now it's all about Brady.

Sure, MJD is going to over-hype the current players. Sure, he's going to extra-over-hype players he played with or has a good relationship with to get inside insight. His job depends upon two things ... how the current audience reacts to him, and his relationships with current players. So yeah, he's super-biased ... as most of them are. He's also not a guy who was raised or vetted as an announcer. He's a former-player who is adapting to being an announcer. His sounding board before were his teammates ... now it's the public, and he'll have to adjust his opinions and delivery.

But rest assured, none of the media has any interest in doing any sort of fair analysis between current and past players. It's about ratings ... not accuracy.

22. kcbrown

kcbrown Life is what we make it. Donator

FInheaven loves Rivers....every time we play the Chargers, post after post talk up Rivers as if he was a huge threat...and we usually pound the Chargers into the dirt. The team is just soft...always been that way.

Some good offenses every now and then, but soft. Even when Junior was at his peak back in the day, there weren't many others on that defense that you feared.

Man I loved seeing Junior in a Fins uniform, I wish he were on our team longer than he was. What passion.

23. Sons Of Shula

There were major changes to pass interference rules that year that gave defenders more benefits for equal rights to the ball in the air and PI was not called if a pass was deemed uncatchable. I don't remember anything specific about that year Dolphin-wise, but if I had to take a good guess it would be that the referees allowed the DBs to play more and maybe more than they should have with the rule changes that had just taken place.

JakeemThe Dream likes this.
  24. royalshank

Team "only" scored 52 TDs in '85, down from 70 in '84. In '86 they scored 56 TDs but only 9 rushing (all 9 by Lorenzo Hampton). They were only 8-8 in '86 and got off to a 1-4 start. I just think they were throwing it more while trailing etc in '86. In '85 they were 12-4 and led a lot of games / ran for more scores but overall points scored was similar. That's the other thing - in '84, we averaged over 100 yards rushing per game - not because we had a good run game but because by the time the 4th quarter rolled around we weren't throwing it much. Had we been trying to run scores up like when Brady threw 50 TDs, Dan may have tossed 60.

phinphan4life likes this.
  25. royalshank

I honestly think it had more to do w situational football play calling. In '85 we were out in front most games. In '86 we were trying to come from behind all the time. Note: '86 was that ridiculous 51-45 OT loss to Jets where Dan threw 6 TDs in a losing effort. That game summed up our D of the mid to late '80's.

Sons Of Shula likes this.
  26. royalshank

I'll say it again - he could have thrown 60 TDs in '84 if they were trying to pad records. When Brady threw 50 to break Peyton's 49 they were running up scores and still throwing TDs late in games.

Sons Of Shula likes this.
  27. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Philip Rivers is an outstanding quarterback.

But what Dan Marino did in 1984 is without equal and may never be rivaled.

28. gregorygrant83

I just have a real hard time understanding how Brazile gets consideration before Randy Gradishar.

ebozzz likes this.
  29. SmokyFin

SmokyFin Starter

I've never heard MJD say anything good about Miami...the same with Terrell Davis.

30. Goin` Deep

Goin` Deep "Pick your guy and let it fly" Finheaven VIP Donator

The numbers he put up in '86 were almost as impressive. Yeah, we went 8-8 with a **** defense, but he, Duper and Clayton were all three off the charts numbers wise. That season gets no respect, imo.

31. phinphan4life

phinphan4life Monkey Milk Finheaven VIP Donator

It says a helluva lot when you finish top 5 in a statistical category (84 & 86), but the #1 person doubles your statistical output. You couldn't even fathom that type of statistical disparity nowadays. I don't care what category it is. Marino was the unreachable star back then.

ebozzz and Sons Of Shula like this.
  32. EJay

EJay Scout Team

Not only did Marino amass all those yards and TD's during a time when other QB's weren't, he did so throwing to two 5'9" receivers during an era where the DB's could be physical until the ball was in the air and LB'ers flattened anybody that tried to cross the field. WR's back then weren't able to run all over the field with impunity and no fear.

I often imagine Marino playing in today's game with a big receiver like Julio Jones or Mike Evans or AJ Green .... or even a freak talents like OBJ or Dez Bryant. Hell, I'd would have killed to see him with Jerry Rice or Randy Moss back in their primes. That would have been unreal.

33. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

who is MJD?

CoronaDoug and NorthernFin like this.
  34. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

Marino is the GOAT as throwing a Football, bar none. Rivers is above average imo. It's like comparing Muhammad Ali with Zora Foley, I hope that helps!

35. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

Robert Brazile was a great player...only someone who isn't old enough to remember would say Rivers was on the same level as Brazile.

Not sure why some are pushing for Rivers so hard...he has been a good QB...not a great one...and he has accomplished little.

Again...big passing numbers mean little anymore in the post 2007 rules changes era...you better win rings...or really stand out from the norm in this era to make the hall as a QB now....none of which Rivers has done.

ebozzz likes this.
  36. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

He did. He's been a league leader in several of the major markers.

37. DolfinJohnNY

DolfinJohnNY Active Member

IF?!?!?! Did he just say "IF" DAN MARINO is a H.O.F.?!?!?! IF.... I'm still trying to comprehend someone even suggesting this. WOW! I think someone might want to suggest to MJD to have his head examined. Seriously! He should know better. IF...?!?!

38. Etuoo33

Etuoo33 Seasoned Veteran

MJD... too many blows to the head.

39. royalshank

I agree. Good QB but not HOF material. Dan Fouts was HOF material - the last great chargers QB. Rivers isn't even as good as Fouts was. And the Giants got the better of that swap. Eli gets maligned a lot (i hear it all the time up here in north jersey) but he did engineer two great playoff runs and two GW drives (improbable at that) to go 80 and 82 yards against the best team of the last 16 years to win two SBs. He will go in the HOF and it will be early on in his eligibility. His rings are different than guys like Dilfer and Rypien etc. That they beat the 19-0 Pats is David vs Goliath stuff and the Hall is the place for that story to be memorialized for eternity. Say what you will - he was clutch. And don't tell me Tyree catch was luck - everyone forgets the play Eli made to get out of a sure sack. The guy is a stiff and somehow he willed himself into an athletic play looking like Cam Newton. That's will to win. I don't love or hate Eli. But anyone who doesn't think he's an easy HOF entry compared to Rivers is smoking good drugs.

40. greasyObnoxious

greasyObnoxious I love lamp Finheaven VIP Donator