Is their a possibility Fins draft two Olinemen with first two picks? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is their a possibility Fins draft two Olinemen with first two picks?

mandal24

Genesis
Reaction score
Now that we have our bookend Tackles signed to multi-year deals, the Fins need to find some help in the interior of the Oline. Smiley has played well but hes injured a lot. Satele is undersized at center for the Fins smashmouth football style. Donald Thomas has potential.

So how would you guys feel if our first picks were something like...(Im looking at bigger Olinemen who can run-block well)

Guard Options-Duke Robinson/Eben Britton (he could play guard or move Carey to guard and Britton could play RT)
Center Options- Alex Mack/Max Unger/Eric Wood (Could possibly be taken with our 2b pick)

Many would like to sign Jason Brown. I'm all for that but we could get a center for a lot cheaper in the draft. Obviously though, by grabbing Brown, we would be able to concentrate our draft on defense and a Wide Reciever.
Brown will be one of the highest paid centers in the league though.

would be pretty sweet, most likely will depend on our free agent haul. i would not be opposed to it that's for sure

Wow, could you post that in fewer words, maybe paraphrase it a little bit.:lol: On a serious not, I do agree with you. I think that it would send the wrong message to Donald Thomas, especially when they don't know exactly what kind of play he'll turn out to be (though early indications are, if healthy, our "Godsend" could develope into a hell of a guard). To draft a guard in the 1st or 2nd round would not be a good developement for Thomas, nor a fair one. Some might say football isn't fair, but I believe the FO will stick by their little tank. An Olineman may be selected with one of our first picks, but likely if they are able to trade down potentially out of the first if they feel that lineman would still be available with a lower pick. If Jason Brown is acquired in FA, almost all bets are off on taking an Olineman at 25, or even with pick 2A, and it certainly reduces the chances of taking TWO Olinemen that early in the draft if at all. Remember, in the instance of acquiring Brown, Satele would provide excellent depth at C and likely Guard as well.

Nope, our OL isn't THAT bad .. and plus, our FO can probably just as easily spot someone with tons of potential in the later rounds .. aka Donald Thomas

Add Herman Johnson("The House") LSU.....6-7 365lbs to your list, primary position LG but has played RG and T over an injury free career that saw him virtually tie the school record for most snaps. Durable, experienced and massive with huge upside, slated to go as high as #2 Guard and as low as #5 guard. Excellent push on short yardage (mover), imagine him next to either Jake or Vernon (3rd and YES).....if he is still available in the 2nd round he is worthy, 1st round could see us take a center but more likely is probably LB ( best available) followed by Sean Smith (if he is still available) early second or " The House".

Nope, our OL isn't THAT bad .. and plus, our FO can probably just as easily spot someone with tons of potential in the later rounds .. aka Donald Thomas

Agreed, usually there are a lot of hidden gems to be found on the offensive line in later rounds of the draft. With so many holes at "playmaking positions" the Dolphins would be better served trying to get a player like Brown in FA and uncover a gem in the later rounds, using their higher picks for positions like LB (inside or out) CB or WR (though I wouldn't complain if we started the new season with Ginn/Bess/Cam/London)

Problem will be...Is there an ILB worth taking with our 1st pick? And i just dont see Parcells/Ireland going for a WR with the first pick

Problem will be...Is there an ILB worth taking with our 1st pick? And i just dont see Parcells/Ireland going for a WR with the first pick

I'll admit, I thought the same things too, though you never know these days. There are a lot of wildcards out there in the draft, players like Darius Heyward-Bay who have the size and speed combo this FO would love. While I think it's unlikely they go with a WR in the first, if they manage to significantly upgrade certain positions through FA and a player like DHB is sitting on the board with a grade they rated higher than the other remaining players, I don't think they'd hesitate to pull the trigger. Again, all assumptions on our part, and logic goes against a 1st round WR, but even Parcells acknowledged that Miami has very specific needs to fill. If they can plug certain holes by means outside of the draft (with good contracts, trades etc) I think it would open up the possibility of a player being selected that goes against the usual Parcells style draft.

Most likely a linebacker/CB in the first round, but thats as of now.

that would be dumb perfect example donald thomas

Now that we have our bookend Tackles signed to multi-year deals, the Fins need to find some help in the interior of the Oline. Smiley has played well but hes injured a lot. Satele is undersized at center for the Fins smashmouth football style. Donald Thomas has potential.

So how would you guys feel if our first picks were something like...(Im looking at bigger Olinemen who can run-block well)

Guard Options-Duke Robinson/Eben Britton (he could play guard or move Carey to guard and Britton could play RT)
Center Options- Alex Mack/Max Unger/Eric Wood (Could possibly be taken with our 2b pick)

Many would like to sign Jason Brown. I'm all for that but we could get a center for a lot cheaper in the draft. Obviously though, by grabbing Brown, we would be able to concentrate our draft on defense and a Wide Reciever.
Brown will be one of the highest paid centers in the league though.

2007 and 2008 he ended the season on IR, but his past 3 years before that, playeed ever game each year... I hope yoos arent calling him injury prone yet!

Why does everyone on this sight act like Donald Thomas is a future hall of fame guard. He is a 6th round draft pick who won a starting guard spot between 2 other mediocre players. He only played 1 game for us and alot of people already have annointed him a pro bowler. Yes, Im glad he won the starting spot, but the orginization doesnt owe him anything. Bringing in any player at any position that helps our team better should be the plan of the front office.

i don't think this will happen at all...

the main focus on this line seems to be the center position (by our FO )

so if they do draft a center, this leaves us with Ndukwe, thomas, Satele, smiley , who are all very good guards. there are other guys for depth, but they're not worth mentionning.

We also have a very good situation at tackle... Jake long, carey and ndukwe for depth is a good unit. lose long ? switch vernon to the left and ndukwe out at RT. Lose vernon ? put ndukwe there.

if they really want to draft 2 olinemen, i see a center in the first two rounds and a late rounder on a Tackle/guard tweener, much like ndukwe, who would bring depth/competition at 3 spots on the roster... on the flipside, they could use free agency to do that also, they did it all year by bringing guys like al johnson, alleman, frye... so they could end up doing so again, but i think they like drafting better than fishing in a toilet bowl

Back
Top Bottom