Is there a Consensus Top 5 in the 2017 Draft Yet? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is there a Consensus Top 5 in the 2017 Draft Yet?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
By all accounts, Miles Garrett from Texas A'M is the top guy right now in the NFL draft. Of course, it's still early in the process and a lot can change from now until the draft.

Throwing it out there for those more on top of the draft. Is there a general consensus yet on the top 5?

I know Deshawn Watson is talked about as a potential number one, but before all is said and done DeShone Kiser of Notre Dame and maybe Brad Kaaya of the University of Miami could be in the discussion for top quarterback.

Leonard Fournette may also be near the top five, although running backs generally don't go that high. Still, Fournette looks like that elite back that should challenge the top 10. Jabrill Peppers is a player I like a lot and I'm sure creative defensive coordinators will be salivating at his versatility.

Who are the next pass rushers after Garrett and are any worthy of top five consideration?

You are overlooking Christian McCaffrey.

McCaffrey probably won't be viewed as a consensus top 5 because of his size. Despite the kid being tough as nails he's only 200 lbs and plenty of scouts and GMs will question if his body can take an NFL pounding for a full season.

I think Peppers belongs in that conversation as well as Allen from Bama

I think Peppers belongs in that conversation as well as Allen from Bama

I really like Allen. Just a solid football player. Not sure he's top 10, but might be. I think it will come down to how he's viewed as a pass rusher.

1. Garrett
2. Watson
3. Kizer
4. Peppers
5. Tabor

That's how I see it anyhow.

If I were doing a top 5, I wouldn't bother including any QBs. There are two groups of teams out there, ones that need QBs and ones that don't. The ones that need QBs will be operating by a different set of rules and rankings, ratings, etc. It's an entirely different strategy and it makes the idea of ranking a DeShaun Watson here versus Jabril Peppers there meaningless.

If I were doing a top 5, I wouldn't bother including any QBs. There are two groups of teams out there, ones that need QBs and ones that don't. The ones that need QBs will be operating by a different set of rules and rankings, ratings, etc. It's an entirely different strategy and it makes the idea of ranking a DeShaun Watson here versus Jabril Peppers there meaningless.

Think you're better than me? :lol:

1. Garrrett
2. Peppers
3. Tabor
4. Fournette
5. Allen

If it becomes apparent that this team is going to stick with tannehill at QB I'd be fine drafting one of the big 2 rbs in this draft High.

A lot of people knocked me when I said we Should go after guys like Melvin Gordon or Zeke, (most people were ok with Gurley).. And my reasoning was always the same, tannehill needs a top talent at RB to be successful.

No one is going to convince me that any player we have drafted in the last 2 years would have a bigger positive effect on our team right now than an elite RB.

No Dalvin Cook? Some believe his skillset fits the current NFL better than Fournette, myself included.

No Dalvin Cook? Some believe his skillset fits the current NFL better than Fournette, myself included.

Both elite players, I haven't really broken then down enough to know who I like better at the next level. Cooks off field stuff worries me. This isn't just a guy who gets in trouble, he seems like a real scumbag.

If it becomes apparent that this team is going to stick with tannehill at QB I'd be fine drafting one of the big 2 rbs in this draft High.

A lot of people knocked me when I said we Should go after guys like Melvin Gordon or Zeke, (most people were ok with Gurley).. And my reasoning was always the same, tannehill needs a top talent at RB to be successful.

No one is going to convince me that any player we have drafted in the last 2 years would have a bigger positive effect on our team right now than an elite RB.

I'm with you on that.

It's just easy to see what an elite running back can mean for the entire team. Takes pressure off the quarterback, keeps the defense off the field, converts those short-yardage plays keeping drives alive, wears the defense down. I'd love that pick.

So much, will depend on what Adam Gase decides concerning Ryan Tannehill. While Tannehill has not played well this year, I'd personally wait on the quarterback position and build around him. But, I think Gase might go the other way especially if Watson is there when Miami picks. That essentially buys him time, gets the fan base off his back a bit etc.

Very true....I don't see much talk about Derek Barnett on here...where do you put him CK?

Back
Top Bottom