Is this Dolphins defense the real deal? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is this Dolphins defense the real deal?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
usa_today_10348777.0.jpg

The defense has been playing well all season, so far. Holding Phillip Rivers and Co. to 17 points, and Brees’ Saints to 20 points. The reigning NFL MVP and defending NFC champs were supposed to walk all over Miami. Some TV pundits did not even give guesses at the score because they didn’t want to “embarrass” the Dolphins. Miami was 12 point underdogs. They won. The defense pitched a second half shutout and held Matt Ryan, Julio Jones and the rest of the Dirty Birds to just 17 total points. There is a lot to be excited about with this defense.
https://www.thephinsider.com/2017/10/18/16495002/miami-dolphins-defense-cameron-wake-reshad-jones

they have a ways to go, but holding teams under 20 and being much better against the run has been a great surprise. I would like to see what this team is like with TJ MacDonald

The defense is light years ahead of last years defense, far greater then most expected. Holding the Saints to 20 points was the feat of strength for the defense thus far(aside from stepping up and closing out a game when normally we let the opposing have their way down the field... which they started to). I didn't buy into the Falcons were going to blow us out(didn't expect to win but that was based on the offense) like many media outlets and some fans did, that Falcons team is not the Falcons team of last season and the record is very misleading. They are 2 back to back dropped sure fire catches in the endzone from losing to Bears, one really weird judgement and review call at end of Lions game from being 1-4.

I am still very pleased though, if the defense can continue as it has been and the offense start to click before the 2nd half, we may see some good football these next 2-3 months!

I think we always new our lbers sucked bad and we sorely needed an upgrade. An experienced "stud" and he was (is) was just what the doctor ordered (Timmons)

Now Kiko can be Kiko and we actually feed off of Suh instead of wasting his relentless surge. Good lb play is the difference.

i don't think anyone expected this out of our defense coming into the season...

they've been a wonderful and unexpected success as far as im concerned. and for all the flak lawrence timmons got with his first debacle, he's shown to be a solid cog in the unit as well...

Im so glad they didn't have a knee jerk reaction with Timmons.
They also stayed patient with Maulaga. I guess they really had no choice

It's also important to obviously point out.....

We have completed these defensive feats while trotting out the worst offense in football.

Imagine the statistical difference if we didn't go 3 and out for 4 straight games.

Please let the offense and running game find their stride, please.

We start running for 120+ a week. We will win A LOT of games.

Cannot wait for TJ McDonald......

If IAQ, as a first time starter, could ball next to Reshad. Imagine a bigger, faster, more physical, more experienced presence......

Not to nock IAQ, pour one out for the dead homies.....

You are only as good as the weakest link... The patriots will abuse boby mccain to no end, and we all know Gase will not make the change if it all or when it is too late.

Also helps to have Reshad Jones back from injury this year. He looked a bit rusty in the preseason games but he's back and playing with confidence and making big plays. Many underestimate his absence through injury last year.

jones is a freakin stud, i love his game. i think he'll be a pro bowler

Addition by subtraction....not relying on Earl Mitchell. Not relying on Jordan Phillips as the #2 option. Got rid of Jason Jones & Mario Williams.

Not as many injuries: FS, CB, LB

Better LB's that can tackle.

I am surprised by the play of some of the rookies but I am not surprised they are better than the guys that got shown the door.

Phillips actually had a good game on Sunday for a change. The key will be for Harris to develop......we need pressure from that side and he's got more potential than Branch

Ozzy rules!!

You are only as good as the weakest link... The patriots will abuse boby mccain to no end, and we all know Gase will not make the change if it all or when it is too late.
Abuse him with who?

Edelman is out and Amendola is dang near in and out of the lineup every week....

If you haven't noticed, Brady has to hold the ball longer this season BECAUSE they are not winning with the short passing game in the slot.

This logic was sound pretty much any other recent season, but not this year.

Cooks And Hogan on the boundary, Gronk down the seam.

Good thing we will have two bigger safetys for both of those matchups...

Timmons and Manualuga are not gonna be here long. They are bandages. We need to draft LB, along with OL. Don't need qb just yet. RT with Moore backing up should be good enough for couple more years. Address LB and OL in next draft. May be adding a TE if a good one still available.
In all, I am extremely happy we addressed the run problem during the off season, and fixed it right away.
Not many teams can fix their problem in one year. Hats off to our front office, wait! did I just say that.

Last edited:
IF our offense could actually score we would be elite. So damn lucky to have Wake.

Back
Top Bottom