Is this the ultimate Offseason FA/ Draft attack?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phins89, Jan 1, 2013.

Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
  1. Phins89

Phins89 Well-Known Member

I posted this in another thread but wanted to get everyone's opinion.

Wondering if I'm pricing some of them too low.
    FA:
    Resign: Bush $6, Hartline $4.5, Fasano $2-3, Thigpen and other small resignings $6

Let Walk: Long, Smith, Starks, Matt Moore

Cut: Richard Marshall, Patterson

Restructure: Dansby

Extend: Reshad Jones

Sign: Dashon Goldson $8, Wallace $9 or Jennings $8, Cox or Grimes $7,

Draft ($7 million for draft class). That would total roughly $49-$51 million in signings out of our current $49 million available. With cutting Patterson and Marshall and rolling over the extra cap space this year, we would have $60 million in cap space. Still leaving $6-8 million in available money (Go out and grab Adam Livitre or fill some holes).
    1. Dion Jordan DE
    2A. Zach Ertz TE
    2B. David Amerson CB
    3A. Kenny Stills WR
    3B. Arthur Brown or Gerald Hodges LB
    4. Best RT or RG available
    5.-7. BPA

2. rpg719

rpg719 Member

they need to get a tackle and guard in free agency or on waivers and a new OL coach since the offensive line was the weakest of the team this year thanks to the tremendous OL coach teaching abilities. How can the skins, broncos, colts, patriots have so many injuries on the OL and have such outstanding years in pass and run protection and miami have only Long injuried when he was dogging it any way, have 2 number 1's, and perform so poorly.

3. Phins89

That's where Livitre would come in with the remaining cap room. Line would be Martin, Incognito, Pouncey, Levitre, and whoever you desire to fill at RT.

4. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

It's the ultimate alright...the ultimate failure.

5. PhinMagic

PhinMagic A True Fan

Hartline will get more than 4.5 mill. His performance this year probably puts him up around 5.5-6. No way bush gets anymore than the original contract he signed with us. Resigning starks is a must and if smith comes cheap enough, he needs to stay as well. Dont forget about clemons

6. Dolphin Dave

Dolphin Dave Scout Team

So your letting 3 CB's go and drafting one to replace them. That's not gonna happen.

7. beanh8er

beanh8er A True Fan Donator

If you cut Marshall, his money just doesn't magically disappear. There's no point in cutting him either. The dude was hurt all year. Let him play out preseason and bring in competition there. If he isn't cutting it, then cut him or trade him.

8. spiketex

spiketex Kiko Alonso - El Bravo 47 the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Why let Sean Smith walk? He was a big improver this season and can make a significant contribution to the team. I see him as one of the key players to resign. My hunch is that Ireland will want him too.

9. finitis23

finitis23 Well-Known Member

Bush for 6 mill a year? NO WAY ... and you cut 3 CB's, while only adding 2. did u forget thats our biggest position of weakness once you let Smith walk?

10. Phins1020

Phins1020 Well-Known Member

I would keep Bush, Hartline, and Starks. Those 3 are the only guys who can make game altering plays. Sean Smith screws up way too often, and Jake Long is going to ask for loads of money which we won't be willing to give him. As much as I like Fasano, I would rather look elsewhere for a play maker to help Tannehill in the passing game...but I would keep him for cheap if he wants to stay.

In FA, we need a WR...Wallace or Jennings. I would then target a guy like Cox for CB, and Connor Barwin at LB (but the Texans would be crazy to let him walk). We need to hit a home run and get these kinds of guys in FA so when the draft comes around, it allows us to address other things such as another WR, DE, a TE, and so on...

We would then have Wallace/Jennings, Hartline, Bess, and a solid rookie (thinking Bailey in the 2nd, or Hopkins if he drops) at WR. We would have Cox at CB along with the other cb's we already have (which isn't extremely comforting, but better than paying Sean Smith what he thinks he is worth)...Dansby, Burnett, and Barwin at LB (which is pretty crazy)...and have Wake and Starks on D-Line along with possibly a DE taken in the 1st round..and we still have Vernon developing. That right there makes our team much better. Highly doubt that all comes together how I planned it though.

11. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Unfortunately this isn't Madden and even worse, Jeff Ireland is still our GM, so don't get your hopes up.

12. fakespike

fakespike Starter

Agree with some of OPs list, but:

6 mil is steep for Reggie as we will intend to use him
    Have to keep Marshall and restructure Patterson

Thatd fill up a lot of holes though, especially if we got Levitre too. I reckon he'll be in high demand this offseason.

13. dolphintodd

dolphintodd FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

A million per point scored sounds lie too much.

14. Phins89

We let 3 CB's walk...Bring in Cox or Grimes, draft David Amerson, and another late rounder. Sean Smith just gets dummied by the big receivers. He over pursues and misses tackles like no one I've ever seen. I'd be open to letting either Marshall or Patterson stay. Smith is gonna ask for way to much and has yet to put it together.

15. Lumberjack98

Lumberjack98 Member

You would resign Fasano before Starks or even Smith? I don't know about that =X

16. WesternNYDolfan

WesternNYDolfan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Appreciate the effort, but really unrealistic, and unnecessary. No way we let Smith, Starks AND Long walk, no way Dansby restructures. No way we need or even try to get that many high priced FAs

17. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

And so starts the time of the season I hate so much. This is when people start throwing names up to be drafted even before bowl games, workouts, the combine etc.

In the Army this was called "pissing in the wind". It is a total waste of time.

As far as "letting some players walk", you do not allow talent to just walk away, if you have been following the Dolphins it has taken a while just to get what we have now.

You find the talent, you get the talent, you coach up the talent and then OMFG, you KEEP the talent!

18. Phins89

Other teams have gone out and done it (sure it didn't work with the Eagles but we're not signing pretty much an entire team in FA. We're getting 3 quality FA's. We got the money to do it. We have a lot of depth on our DL. Smith is just gonna ask for too much.

19. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Seasoned Veteran

20. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Kevin Burnett is the Miami Dolphins best LB.

21. ITS!MATEO

ITS!MATEO A True Fan

Marshall is our best corner(when healthy) so i'm not a fan of getting rid of him. Attempt a restructure if not I can take the 5mil he makes. Sean Smith needs to get a 5.5mil/yr deal. Nothing more because he is not worth it. If Smith can't be signed then go get Cox for 5.5-6mill/yr. McCann has showed enough to get a small contract offer and hopefully stays, I like his game. Draft another corner like Trufant and we're good there.

At safety we have to get Clemmons signed back and that will be easy because he won't command much on the market and he's a solid guy to have. Draft a safety to push him and possibly take his spot if he declines.

Bush for 6mill/yr isn't happening. No way, no how. We have Lamar Miller waiting in the wings and many draft picks to pick a runner up if need be. Resign Bush to a 3 year 15mill deal and we're good at rb.

At Lb I think we have more problems than possible solutions there. Dansby is extremely overpaid for his actual production. I seriously would try to trade the guy for anything around a 4th round pick at this point. We're WAY too slow in the middle and we need some youth and athleticism in our Lb corps to keep up with the emergence of the seam threat TE that the pats and other elite teams are using. Draft a Lb anyway even if we keep and RESTRUCTURE Dansby. If Manti Te'o falls to 12 in the draft that will be huge.

Sign Starks to a decent deal, nothing crazy, but get him signed. Look to draft his replacement with BPA in any round. There is always a need for a a pass rusher, so take one BPA in the draft somewhere (whoever falls).

Long can go bye bye, no need to pay top dollar for a declining Tackle. Draft a guard in the later rounds and either kick Jerry to the rightside or sign a cheaper guy in free agency. Sign Garner because he is an asset seeing as he can play ANY position on the line. Give a contract to Levitre and see if we get him in here. If everything is done exactly like that we would have a better line next year.

Hartline is a MUST resign. Kid is as solid as it gets. Sick of letting our promising young players go to better teams and watching them torch us on Sundays. 4.5mill/year is fair to me. Sign Jennings to a decent contract. Draft Corradarelle Patterson with either the 1st pick or if he falls (I don't think he will) nab him with your first 2nd rd pick. If he gets taken then go get Hunter. That should leave us with a really good group of weapons

Resign Fasano to 2mill/yr AND go get Jared Cook for 4mill/yr. Draft a guy in the later rounds and I think that would be a more than solid TE corps. Fasano 2nd TE for blocking and pulling and Cook as our seam threat TE with Clay used in the slot where he was intended to be used.

Bring in a kicker to push Carpenter this offseason.

Oh and resign Pat Devlin and sign an undrafted Qb.